Question about art for sale on Princess ship

brianlojeck

I think that if someone can't tell the difference between a $3000 limited edition and a $300 knock-off, that they probably shouldn't be buying art in the first place. They would probably be just as happy with a framed poster.;)

Because the difference is so clear when you're looking at a 200 pixel tall image on a computer screen...

go to Ebay and check out the art or artist. You might find one of the many copies sold on board for a lot less and you might even save enough for another cruise. Don't be touted on board to purchase especially if it's a giclee or numbered print.

2: I have witnessed Princess (and other ship's) art vendors telling people that the art is an investment, that the only place you can buy the stuff is right here right now, etc... I also know for a fact that at least one "painting" was just a photoshopped photograph, because the photograph is the background on my phone... so my opinon of their honesty ranks them slightly below used car salesmen.

Interesting. I've been to a fair number of the art auctions, and in general I've thought they've done a pretty good job of pointing out that you should only buy art if you like it, and not to count on it ever gaining value. That said, there's definitely some of them that are better (and quite frankly more interesting) than others.

I've bought a number of pieces over the years, but I've also spent a fair amount of time doing some research on the artists that I've been looking at. Everything I've purchased is because I like it. Whether it's gained value or not hasn't really been something I've worried about, because quite frankly I don't really plan on selling any of it.

I've also bought a number of things from street vendors in various ports around the world. I'm pretty happy with a lot of those too, although by the time I was done getting them framed, some of them ended up costing just as much as some art work bought on the ship.

But the number one key is know what you're buying, and take the time to do the research. Outside of the originals, if you're going to take another cruise in the near future, there's a fair chance they might still have the same line of limiteds, or something similar. Obviously, with originals that's not true, but you can go home and take your time to learn something about the artist and decide whether you feel it's a reasonable price or not.

Oh, and yeah, GFA now sells some stuff off the ship, but I've looked through the website. What they're selling on the site is not the same artists they're selling on the ships (I can't guarantee there's no overlap at all, but at least the artists that I recognize on the ships aren't there, and most of the ones on their website I've pretty much never heard of). I somehow doubt you're going to see any of the "name" artists that you see on the ship on their website, those artists aren't going to let their usual channels be undercut that way.

I've bought a number of pieces over the years, but I've also spent a fair amount of time doing some research on the artists that I've been looking at. Everything I've purchased is because I like it. Whether it's gained value or not hasn't really been something I've worried about, because quite frankly I don't really plan on selling any of it.

We have done the same and could not agree with you more.

Buy something because you like it and forget the rest.

Mike:)

picture of a black-haired female flamenco dancer in a red dress, viewed from behind.

If this is the painting I think it is, it has appeared on every one of our Princess voyages. She is at Explorer's on Ruby Princess.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I have read some of these posts and always hear the princess auctioneer say "financial investment". Of all the

cruises I have been on its true I have seen the

exact "original" paintings on different ships. Love

Their personalities but they are still professional

carsalesmen

I have read some of these posts and always hear the princess auctioneer say "financial investment". Of all the

carsalesmen

Of course they are. :rolleyes:

This thread is nearly 18 months old. Any reason for resurrecting this thread verses starting a new one with more recent information?

My two cents...I am not impressed with the take over of Princess Art by Park West. But then again, there are many threads comparing the two.

Cr8tov1 sorry I have not posted maybe I should made a new thread I was just searching for the works. Ya park west is interesting. If you register for an auction prepare to be cabin spammed with mail lol

No apologies necessary. Maybe I owe you one? Didn't realize you were looking for a specific piece.

I did participate in the Art Auctions when run by Princess Arts. What a rude awakening when I tried Park West TWICE....I really did try to give them the benefit of the doubt. By the way, they are now advertising as Princess Fine Arts but don't be fooled.

And, my information is in their system. Still receiving fliers as valued guests when I cruise.

Please bring back the original Princess Arts. They were very good.

I do love to "play the game" so I can pretend and get free champagne. I love how they act like the stuff is flying off the shelves but they barely sell but the cheapest pieces

The free champagne was not enough to get me to sign up for a paddle, especially since they were only going to give you a single glass (no refills).

I stopped a "suit" once to ask him a few questions. When it wasn't going his way, he politely escaped by telling me that I should pay attention to the art explanations and history. HA...he wasn't happy with me voicing my concerns about the change.

I really did enjoy Princess Art.

carsalesmen

Well, if they're billed as "originals", they better darn well be originals. Otherwise that's fraud. We purchased a Daniel Wall original oil a few years back before the change. We've had it appraised and are quite satisfied with our "investment".

carsalesmen

We've been cruising and going to the art "auctions" for a long time and I've never heard an auctioneer say that the art was an "investment" or an original when it wasn't. In fact, I think they avoid saying that. We've bought some piece's but not for "investment" purpose's, just because we liked them!

I wrote "auctions" in parentheses because you can buy the art without bidding at auction. Just ask.

The "auction" is really just something to do on sea days :) !

Well, if they're billed as "originals", they better darn well be originals. Otherwise that's fraud. We purchased a Daniel Wall original oil a few years back before the change. We've had it appraised and are quite satisfied with our "investment".

Since Park West took over, I've watched a couple of auctions. I know at least one of the ones I watched I really felt they were skirting the edge in how they were describing the pieces. The old PFA I felt was always pretty good at explaining what the piece was. I wish I can remember the exact phrasing that was used at the PW auction, but I know I was really surprised at how they described the works (which were obviously all limited editions) in a way that could make you think they were originals.

I've also noticed that there's a number of artists that I liked that PW was claiming "oh, we just need to have all the pieces go back to the warehouse so they can be inventoried and then they'll be back up for sale" that have never appeared again. So I suspect there's some artists that aren't interested in having PW handle their sales.

On the bright side, cruises have been a little cheaper for me as a result :). I do still walk through the pieces to see what's for sale, but to be honest, even if I was willing to deal with PW, I've seen far less pieces that I'd really be interested in.

Bottom line you can find cheaper prices on land. They mislead you selling some pieces with the frame but some don't include the frame. Yes I'll say it again they do call art an "investment" for your house and they say their appraisal will cover for insurance. It's a great way to look at the art but they are still salesmen.

Think of a "factory" with low paid foreign "artists" copying the same painting over and over.

Each one is an original painting, just not a unique one.

Just a reminder that when they tell you that the piece of "art" on the ship is a glicee', the term glicee' is just a fancy name for a high end inkjet print. They can turn them out by the thousands if they wish.

DON

I think that if someone can't tell the difference between a $3000 limited edition and a $300 knock-off, that they probably shouldn't be buying art in the first place. They would probably be just as happy with a framed poster.;)

Some of the new "giclees" or whatever reproduction process is used and enhanced can sometimes be tricky to identify. We collect original art and generally are not interested in reproductions. Even so, I had to really look at a couple to determine if it was an original or if it was an enhanced reproduction. I even had to ask on one and found it to be a reproduction. Some pieces, though, are quite easy to differentiate. That being said, I did buy a reproduction on this cruise. I just loved it and did not want the original, which I felt was way too overpriced.

Bottom line you can find cheaper prices on land. They mislead you selling some pieces with the frame but some don't include the frame. Yes I'll say it again they do call art an "investment" for your house and they say their appraisal will cover for insurance. It's a great way to look at the art but they are still salesmen.

With PW, I think that's largely true. With the old PFA, I think it was a tougher call. I did a fair amount of research on the pieces that I bought, and generally found it pretty tough to match the prices. Some artists the pricing was better than others, and sometimes in December they had some deals (along with free shipping) that actually turned out pretty decent.

PW definitely pushes it as an investment, which definitely can be an iffy prospect, especially on the limited editions. PFA I found was much more "ok, it may gain value, it may not, but you should only really buy it if you like it." Art valuing is always kinda entertaining. It's only really worth something if you can actually find someone that's willing to buy it at that price, otherwise just because an appraisal says it's worth more, doesn't mean you're really likely to get that for it (at least without some extra work to track down a buyer willing to pay that).

Some of the new "giclees" or whatever reproduction process is used and enhanced can sometimes be tricky to identify. We collect original art and generally are not interested in reproductions. Even so, I had to really look at a couple to determine if it was an original or if it was an enhanced reproduction. I even had to ask on one and found it to be a reproduction. Some pieces, though, are quite easy to differentiate. That being said, I did buy a reproduction on this cruise. I just loved it and did not want the original, which I felt was way too overpriced.

You are aware of exactly what a giclee is. I would bet that many on-ship buyers have no idea that a giclee is not an original or even a limited edition print.

DON