Too clever - new Celebrity ad for New Yorkers

squidward

I was just checking my Yahoo mail, and on the side an ad came up with an image of a crowded NYC subway train. It said:

"On the C"

[The "C" means the C train, a notoriously bad subway line]

The next image was a sailing Celebrity ship, and it said:

"Vs. On the Sea"

As a New Yorker, who used to live near the C, I knew exactly what they meant. Very clever! Do they run similar localized ads in other markets?

I was just checking my Yahoo mail, and on the side an ad came up with an image of a crowded NYC subway train. It said:

"On the C"

[The "C" means the C train, a notoriously bad subway line]

The next image was a sailing Celebrity ship, and it said:

"Vs. On the Sea"

As a New Yorker, who used to live near the C, I knew exactly what they meant. Very clever! Do they run similar localized ads in other markets?

Sorry, I don't find the ad clever at all. IMO, its offensive.

I'm from NY originally (born and raised) and I love that ad!!!! I lived by the "F" and "Q" trains, but have taken the "C" on many occasions.

There are no ads like that here as far as I can tell. But I will keep a close eye out on my internet ads to see if a clever X ad shows up.

Would you mind explaining how this ad, as described by the OP, offended you?

I admit I haven't seen the ad, but the way the OP described, going through "notoriously bad neighborhoods" is stereotyping a huge swath of Brooklyn and Queens where real people live and work and for the most part won't have a luxury Caribbean cruise in their future.

OK. On second thought, poor choice of words on my part. I think the ad is insensitive more than it is offensive.

I admit I haven't seen the ad, but the way the OP described, going through "notoriously bad neighborhoods" is stereotyping a huge swath of Brooklyn and Queens where real people live and work and for the most part won't have a luxury Caribbean cruise in their future.

OK. On second thought, poor choice of words on my part. I think the ad is insensitive more than it is offensive.

Umm, the OP stated notoriously bad subway line. To me that means it breaks down or is always late or dirty or is uncomfortable to ride on. In no way does it disparage neighborhoods or groups of people.

You appear quick to judgement, since you are criticizing something you have not even seen and you are misquoting a fellow poster. Hopefully you are just having a bad day and this is not your usual behavior. Maybe you need a sea break.

While not from NY (so I might not 'get' it), if I was to see that ad, I would find it amusing in the "C" vs "sea" reference.....as in, where would you rather be, on a subway going to work or on a ship at sea?

I'd find it amusing even if the "C" train went to Manhattan!

I think it's very clever! I also think finding it offensive is a reach...the OP in no way, shape, or form made any reference to the neighborhoods the line passes through.

I think it would be clever even if the C was the most reliable, least crowded, cleanest, newest subway line in New York!:)

"where real people live and work and for the most part won't have a luxury Caribbean cruise in their future"..

WOW! Really? Real people who work for a living and take the train to and from work won't for the most part have a cruise in their future....

That being said, after at least 25 years of playing alphabet soup on the NYC transit system and having taken practically every train in it, I find nothing wrong in any way with the ad.

Celebrity would be better served if instead of an ad in the trains they would provide a 2 week cruise or two ROUND TRIP from NY/NJ during the months of Feb. or Mar.

bosco

Every year a group called Straphangers conduct a survey of the NYC subway line. Their annual report always makes headline news in NY. Last year, here's what they said about the C line:

2. For the fourth year in a row, the C was ranked the worst subway line, with a MetroCard Rating of 85 cents. The C line performed worst or next to worst in the system on four measures: amount of scheduled service, delays caused by mechanical breakdowns, subway car cleanliness and announcements. The line did not get a lower rating as it performed above average in the system on regularity of service and on chance of getting a seat at rush hour. The C operates between East New York in Brooklyn and Washington Heights in Manhattan.

That's why I for one would rather be on the Sea than on the C!:)

http://www.straphangers.org/statesub12/

And this is not stereotyping that same huge swath of Brooklyn & Queens? You know their economic circumstances and what their wants and needs are? Or even if they want a Caribbean cruise?

In Boston I once saw a T shirt with a subway car with comic figures being squished through the doors, limbs flying everywhere. It was captioned "The Boston T Party." (The "T" is shorthand for the MBTA, itself shorthand for Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, which runs the subways, trolleys and commuter rails in the metro Boston area.)

I thought it was really clever, and of course now I can now longer find it!

I do like Celebrity's ad as well!

Deleted initial comment. I'll just say I find the ad funny, and ride the C frequently lol.

We've had targeted email ads from Celebrity here in Boston as well - over a month ago, I'm estimating, if my memory serves, which it probably doesn't! - very clever Red Sox tie ins. Of course, I have since deleted the emails, so I can't be more specific than that, but I thought it was a great marketing strategy.

I stopped riding the subway 12 years ago and now live in Florida. There was no C train then. If it goes from Washington Heights to Brooklyn that sounds like the route of Duke Ellington's A Train. Single letter trains are usually expresses so how does it function compared to the A or the old BB or CC locals?

Yes I know that the old IND, BMT and IRT division names are no more but the day that I stop using those names is the day that I walk on Ave of the Americas outside Radio City or go from Manhattan to LaGuardia by cab over the RFK bridge. And Simon and Garfunkel did not sing about the Ed Koch Bridge; and my wife dated Paul Simon in high school until her father broke them up because "What kind of future does he have as a musician? Find yourself a doctor or lawyer or <<CPA:D:D:D>>>".

Just sayin.

I think its clever! I'd rather be ont he sea than a c train any day :)

The one I can't figure out is why Celebrity has ads on the boards at the Flyers hockey games here. I could see if we were in NYC since ships leave out of there, but can't figure it out for Philly.

Do any of you Bostonians remember the Legal Sea Foods ads a few years ago on the T cars??? they poked fun at the conductors. They lasted about a month until the T workers union complained, of course.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I stopped riding the subway 12 years ago and now live in Florida. There was no C train then. If it goes from Washington Heights to Brooklyn that sounds like the route of Duke Ellington's A Train. Single letter trains are usually expresses so how does it function compared to the A or the old BB or CC locals?

Yes I know that the old IND, BMT and IRT division names are no more but the day that I stop using those names is the day that I walk on Ave of the Americas outside Radio City or go from Manhattan to LaGuardia by cab over the RFK bridge. And Simon and Garfunkel did not sing about the Ed Koch Bridge; and my wife dated Paul Simon in high school until her father broke them up because "What kind of future does he have as a musician? Find yourself a doctor or lawyer or <<CPA:D:D:D>>>".

Just sayin.

When you go back home to visit , do you fly into Idlewild ? *LOL*

Archived