Carnival Pride to stay in Baltimore?

Ship's Wake

This is total speculation, but it makes sense.

It was announced by the Tampa Port Authority that Carnival Corp owned cruise line AIDA will home port a ship in Tampa in 2014 and 2015.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10121.html

This satisfies the need to have ships sailing from Tampa that can fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

My guess is that Carnival will soon announce that the Carnival Pride will remain sailing from Baltimore (which has a similar bridge height issue) instead of being deployed to Tampa as currently planned.

Your thoughts?

Edited by oysterdam

It was announced by the Tampa Port Authority that Carnival Corp owned cruise line AIDA will home port a ship in Tampa in 2014 and 2015.

This satisfies the need to have ships sailing from Tampa that can fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

My guess is that Carnival will soon announce that the Carnival Pride will remain sailing from Baltimore (which has a similar bridge height issue) instead of being deployed to Tampa as currently planned.

Your thoughts?

I would have my doubts about this as AIDA might be a more expensive cruise line than Carnival.

I really doubt that Carnival will reverse its decision to move the Pride out of Baltimore at this time. The Pride has already given Port of Baltimore their notice to pull the ship out.

Now, I do believe since Carnival has committed to installing "scrubbers" on select ships to satisfy the EPA rulings, that is a very expensive commitment that isn't going to happen overnight. I also believe that Carnival will return a ship to Baltimore, eventually, since the Pride does sail at or near capacity from there, and the port is very convenient for many people. I hope if/when they do return (to Norfolk also) that they mix up the destinations a little, add some days to their itineraries, and go a little further south.

Aida is a cruise line that sources their guests from Germany and other areas of Europe. The onboard language is German. It would not be a suitable substitute for a Carnival vessel.

Most likely much like the Carnival ships when they change their ports to different regions, it would adapt to its American clientele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

Most likely much like the Carnival ships when they change their ports to different regions, it would adapt to its American clientele.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

That is of course possible. It would be a "first" if they would do so. Personally, I think it would be more likely that Aida would base a ship in Florida for the Winter to attract those in Northern Europe that want a warm weather vacation at that time of year.

As I have discovered in very recent years, Germans are traveling people!

I heard quite unofficially that Carnival will return to Baltimore by April 2015. The Pride has been here for a long time so I would not be surprised to see a different ship when the time comes.

this will be exciting!! I will miss the Pride as I do not think she will end up staying here

I hope if/when they do return (to Norfolk also) that they mix up the destinations a little, add some days to their itineraries, and go a little further south.

As much as I liked the idea of a Carnival ship (especially Spirit Class) sailing from Baltimore, the itinerary was too unimpressive. I wound up spending more money to fly to Florida for better itineraries.

I agree with the above. If they do come back, I'd really like to see them revamp the itineraries.

It's unlikely that Carnival will return to Baltimore until they order new, small sized, fast ships. The Spirit and Legend aren't coming back to America since they are making money in Australia, and the Miracle is needed to do the Alaska/Hawaii/Mexico run on the west coast. It really comes down to the question, will the Pride be more profitable out of Baltimore or Tampa?

Of course, they could always put a Fantasy class in Baltimore, but that would be interesting since they all serve the 3,4, and 5 day cruises with an occasional 7 day out of Charleston or Jacksonville.

Of course, they could always put a Fantasy class in Baltimore, but that would be interesting since they all serve the 3,4, and 5 day cruises with an occasional 7 day out of Charleston or Jacksonville.

With the Inspiration (and soon Imagination) doing identical itineraries from Los Angeles, I think it won't be long until Carnival announces a new redeployment for one of those two ships.

Carnival already tried having two ships doing short Baja Mexico cruises simultaneously (one from San Diego and one from Los Angeles) and it failed. They practically had to give those cruises away and they still couldn't fill them up.

Edited by Tapi

• 1 month later...

Your thoughts?

We will have sailed out of Baltimore three times as of Dec 8th...We like this port and the Pride.

I'm hoping they do change their minds and let the Pride stay

I heard quite unofficially that Carnival will return to Baltimore by April 2015. The Pride has been here for a long time so I would not be surprised to see a different ship when the time comes.

Crossing my fingers that the Pride will stay in Baltimore.

We are sailing again on Dec 8-15...this will be three time this year.

Can you tell we like this ship and the port?

Darlene

Currently you can't even book Aida out of Tampa but through the German website. Aida is also a very expensive line when the dollar to Euro exchange is made.

The Pride is coming to Tampa because the Legend was always doing well, Aida will have no impact on that decision. The new RCCL ship doing 7 day trips will impact it more as Carnival will not want to give up the Tampa market to RCCL entirely.

The key question was asked above, where will the Pride be more profitable?