Regular Coffee Free at the International Cafe?

Smokeyham

Can anyone tell me if regular coffee is free at the International Café, or do I need to get a coffee card for that to be included?

Our cabin will be temptingly close to the International Café and it would be lovely to just pop out there and grab a coffee whenever we like.

The coffee card is a great deal, especially if you like specialty coffee drinks. If you just like decent coffee, the $1.25/cup at the IC is well worth it, IMHO. The IC coffee is far superior to the other "coffee" on Princess ships.

A regular coffee is 1.25 plus 15% or 1.44 a cup. Free with the coffee card for the duration of the cruise as long as there's one punch left on the card.

Thanks.... I just looked up the pre-cruise price for the coffee card, and it is $31, so I would need to get 21 cups of regular coffee to make this worthwhile, assuming that I don't want any specialty coffees.

Of course, there is the convenience factor of just having to show the card as opposed to having to sign for a cup of coffee each time.

I understand that if you have punches left over you can use them on future cruises. Can you also get "free" regular coffees on future cruises as well?

Technically no. Once your cruise is over then any further regular coffee on another cruise would be a punch. BUT it really depends on the person waiting on you. Some times yes and some times no.

The Coffee Card:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $3.00, espresso $2.50.

$35 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise for specialty coffees only.

Edited by Stevesan

The Coffee Card:

$35 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise for specialty coffees only.

You could also get the brewed coffee for a punch on cards from other cruises. Many people say that's a waste of a punch, but DH only uses the card for unlimited brewed coffee. We now have 4 or 5 cards with no punches, and one that is over 6 years old with just 2 punches. We're taking a 10 day Caribbean cruise followed by a 5 day, and we're not going to buy a new card for a 5 day cruise. He's just going to use up punches on the old card.

The Coffee Card:

Is $35 the on board price? Princess is offering this for $31 on their website, with no mention of a gratuity.

So, if you pay for a cup of regular coffee with that include refills?

Thanks

I don't know what the "official" policy is - but I had no problem getting free refills of the brewed coffee. I usually bought a large one in the paper cup - drank it while sitting on the Promenade deck, then came in and asked for a refill. No one ever asked to see a coffee card, or tried to charge me.

• 3 months later...
You could also get the brewed coffee for a punch on cards from other cruises. Many people say that's a waste of a punch, but DH only uses the card for unlimited brewed coffee. We now have 4 or 5 cards with no punches, and one that is over 6 years old with just 2 punches. We're taking a 10 day Caribbean cruise followed by a 5 day, and we're not going to buy a new card for a 5 day cruise. He's just going to use up punches on the old card.

So, is it possible to give the card with no punches to someone else to use, or does it only work for the person who originally bought it?

Sell the cards with all the punches on eBay or give them to cruisers like me who only use the punches for lattes & cappuccinos and does not use the brewed coffee! I would love them for our upcoming 26 day cruise!

Technically no. Once your cruise is over then any further regular coffee on another cruise would be a punch. BUT it really depends on the person waiting on you. Some times yes and some times no.

Old coffee cards are honored for regular coffees, but will be punched as a specialty coffee...on the Royal anyway. An added note, sometimes the rules change depending on the barista.