Taxi from airport in Barcelona to hotel

Chicago Boy

We are flying to Barcelona next month to pick up our Trans Atlantic cruise. Is it easy to get a taxi from the airport and what is the approximate cost to a downtown hotel or would we be better of getting a car service?

Thanks for the help.

I seem to recall paying 30 euros on one trip and 35 on another. There is a taxi cue that you stand in with lots of waiting taxis. We never had any trouble finding a taxi. Be sure to ask for the rate before getting in. We had our hotel address printed on paper and handed this to the driver since we don't speak Spanish. You could do the same with the cruise company and ship name so the driver will know which slip to go to. There is also a 10 euro bus from airport to Barcelona, but I think it drops off everyone at one stop, which means you'd need to take a taxi from there to either your hotel or cruiseport anyway. If you're staying in a hotel overnight it may be worth your while to find out where the stop is in relation to your hotel. Some people on the boards reported that they were able to walk from the bus stop. IMO, we didn't see a need for a private driver.

My experience has been about the same as those above. 25 on the low end and around 35 on the high end depending on location of hotel, amount of luggage and traffic. My experience is that it's always been according to the meter and not a fixed rate.

Most drivers have very limited English at best so, like those above, we always have the name and address of hotel written down or on our iPhone.

Once we took the Aerobus. It is about 6 euros and stops at the Pl. Catalunya and there was one other stop along the way. Only works for us if the hotel is very close and we have little enough luggage that we can easily navigate sidewalks and curbs on our own. http://www.aerobusbcn.com/index.php/en/discoveraerobus.html

I seem to recall paying 30 euros on one trip and 35 on another. There is a taxi cue that you stand in with lots of waiting taxis. We never had any trouble finding a taxi. Be sure to ask for the rate before getting in. We had our hotel address printed on paper and handed this to the driver since we don't speak Spanish. You could do the same with the cruise company and ship name so the driver will know which slip to go to. There is also a 10 euro bus from airport to Barcelona, but I think it drops off everyone at one stop, which means you'd need to take a taxi from there to either your hotel or cruiseport anyway. If you're staying in a hotel overnight it may be worth your while to find out where the stop is in relation to your hotel. Some people on the boards reported that they were able to walk from the bus stop. IMO, we didn't see a need for a private driver.

I would like to thank everyone for their response. A taxi it will be.

If I remember correctly we paid 30 euros. I would strongly recommend putting the hotel name and location on paper to eliminate confusion. That even worked well while we stayed in Barcelona and went out to shows at night.

Enjoy your trip!

Bear in mind that there is a charge for each item of luggage so the cost of the taxi can very depending on how many bags you have. The aerobus is great if you only have a carry on, with suitcases it becomes a problem because of the limited luggage space. The racks seem quite adequate but once the bus fills up it becomes difficult to find a spot. Much better to take a taxi.

Bear in mind that there is a charge for each item of luggage so the cost of the taxi can very depending on how many bags you have. The aerobus is great if you only have a carry on, with suitcases it becomes a problem because of the limited luggage space. The racks seem quite adequate but once the bus fills up it becomes difficult to find a spot. Much better to take a taxi.

There has not been an additional charge for luggage since earlier this year, therefore the price on the meter is the price you pay.

Archived