Is a balcony room a waste on port intensive cruise?

We will be doing our first port intensive southern Caribbean cruise (B) and are wondering if getting an inside room as opposed to a balcony would be better. Our thinking is that you are not in the room much and could use the money difference towards excursions/drinks etc.

Your opinions are appreciated as this is only our second cruise - txs!

I would say yes.

But then again there is people who like to sit in their balcony as they are arriving, or even when the ship is docked. If you have a port side balcony.

I dont see myself on a balcony cabin anyway, too much money and the place I spent time the least is my cabin, but thats just me.

I think that's entirely up to you. BUT we had a balcony on our B2B Adventure OTS last November to the Southern Caribbean. As nice as it was to have the balcony, we didn't really use it much because it was so hot when in port. I would do an OV if possible just to have some natural daylight.

We will be doing our first port intensive southern Caribbean cruise (B) and are wondering if getting an inside room as opposed to a balcony would be better. Our thinking is that you are not in the room much and could use the money difference towards excursions/drinks etc.

It really is up to your personal preference and budget. However, I love sitting out on the balcony especially as we are coming into and leaving ports. In the morning when you are arriving and you have to get ready because you are leaving the ship soon, you can order room service breakfast and sit out on the balcony to eat while still getting to see the ship come into port and dock. In the evenings when you have to get ready for dinner while the ship is leaving the port you can sit out there and enjoy the view and then be right there to get ready for dinner.

So I feel the exact opposite of your original question- port intensive cruises are probably a better time to get a balcony if you can afford to do so.

Plus, in my opinion, any time you can have an ocen view balcony you should do so.

I enjoy sitting out on the blacony in the later evenings before going to bed, as it is so relaxing, seeing the stars and hearing the ship moving thru the water. It is really up to the individual. It is also nice to photograph sunsets or sunrises without running up to the pool deck.

I loved my balcony on my first cruise. One of the things I loved most was opening the door at night and listening to the ocean as I went to sleep. It was so relaxing. Since I don't live near the ocean this was a treat for me.

For me, standing on a balcony is part of my idea of cruising. Whenever I thought about going a cruise, the balcony was part of that dream. So even if I can't languish out there for hours on end, I still like having it.

I think you answered your own question. If you think you can live without a balcony and would rather spend the money in port, that's the answer!

Some people cannot live without a balcony. I am not one of them. If the price is right and it makes sense, I book a balcony. If not, inside is just fine.

Save your $ for your excursions and drinks. Make a point to find a cozy spot on the ship with a 'free' view of the sea if you want to stare at water. :D

We have done three southern route cruises out of San Juan. Each time in a balcony. I cannot imagine sailing any other way. Yes you can find "free" spce to look at the water, but nothing is better than waking and watching the ship pull into port each morning. Makes it easier to get ready without missing anything. My husband and I never tire of watching the dock crew do all the tie ups and securing of the ship. But it all depends on what interest you.

Also love to get back from in port all day and head to the room, relax, maybe grab a quick shower and have plenty of time to watch the ship sail away from the dock. Maybe even catch a runner or two!! And all in the comfort of your room, (ie, bathrobe)

The one time I sailed in a OV with girlfriends, I found myself "running" up and down the steps to go snap a great photo opp from out in the open. While OV is a great money saver for a money saving girlfriend trip, I am pretty much a balcony snob!!!

You just have to weigh out where you will spend your time and what you like to do and watch while cruising

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Ports are the reason I would get a port side balcony. But that's just me.

Port side just means the left side of the ship. It is confusing, but has nothing to do with which side of the ship will be facing the dock when in port.

I have had an oceanview balcony on all my cruises. We love to spend time out there. I am an early riser so I go out on the balcony and read for awhile. I'll go out on the balcony when we are docking to check things out. If we have a balcony facing the dock, I love watching people running to get on the ship before sailway. We have also ordered room service and had breakfast out on our balcony.

Like most people have said, it really is up to you. If you want to spend the extra money for a balcony, go for it. If you don't, then don't.

I've always wondered about some people saying they only book inside rooms because they are never in them. Could it be they are never in them BECAUSE they are inside rooms with not a lot of room or natural light????? Doesn't matter to me what others do, but just makes you wonder.

It's definitely a personal choice as to whether it is worth it.

For me, it's a necessity. Crowds and/or confined spaces can make me anxious at times, so I find a balcony cabin a necessity as the balcony becomes a sanctuary of sorts.

I can't say a balcony is a waste. But I can say I've done the southern carribean many times in an inside when it's port intensive. Usually we pick a cabin that is in a good location with easy access to the outside. It's doable. Since this will be your second cruise it's going to be hard to determine if it's the right choice. If you are wanting to save a few $ it's not a bad idea.

Balcony cabins are definitely the way to go! We've done both and will never go back to an inside cabin - too closed in feeling, no natural light, can't watch, or listen to, the ocean go by in your p.j.'s, etc. Ordering room service and sitting out on the balcony drinking your morning coffee and eating breakfast just can't be beat! Plus, if you book your cruise the day it opens, you get the rock bottom price since the prices go up after the second day! We booked a junior suite for a trans-Atlantic in April, 2014 the first day it was opened and after the first week the prices had doubled. Happy cruising! :)

For us a balcony is a must. One of the things I look forward to is sitting out there early in the morning with a cup of coffee, watching the world go by and feeling totally relaxed and unplugged. We could cruise more if we took and inside or ocean view but it would not be as enjoyable.

It a decision only you can make - deciding what is most important to you.

Split the difference and get an OceanView :)

I love when we get balconies - we had one for our Med cruise and it was super port intensive. However I'm ok too when we do an OV or Inside. When money was tighter we'd get an Inside and save our money for drinks and ports. Right now we can afford the balcony and extras, but next year when #1 son starts college we'll be back to an Inside (if we can cruise at all)

Yep, most posters know my opinion on this one..balcony all the way especially aft. But this question is like a foodie one, highly subjective. If you book a balcony you make opportunities to sit out there. We look at interiors for quickie cheap cruises only. A 7 day or longer...gotta have the balcony.:D

One of my favorite things to do is sit on my balcony when we are facing the harbor and just chill with a glass of wine watching the comings and goings...so port intensive would be fine with me, as long as it's a balcony:

Moon over Cozumel:

2rdjdoh.jpg

24b3myx.jpg

Archived