Caribbean Princess Bon Voyage Experience

mairem17

Hi Everyone,

My son and I just got back this past Saturday from Princess’ Bon Voyage Program aboard the Caribbean Princess while it was docked pier-side in Brooklyn. We were able to board the ship around 11am and had free reign of the vessel until it was time to get off right before the muster drill at 3:45pm. We toured around and saw all the beautiful areas the Caribbean Princess had to offer. This was our first time aboard a Princess ship, having sailed both Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and were impressed by what we saw. I now understand while all of you really love this company. So I just thought that I would share my thoughts and photos with all of you:

-Princess had a very smooth and orderly boarding process

-Not sure if this is always true, but they take your seacard photo when you board, not in the terminal

-Although the food was good, I thought there wasn’t much choice for lunch and was pretty cramped in the buffet.

-The public spaces onboard the ship are very elegant and nicely decorated.

-Not really my thought but while we were onboard there was a wedding in skywalkers so we couldn’t look in there.

m8jvau.jpg

2a5ykih.jpg

2cr83yp.jpg

2r2rck4.jpg

2ds0mfb.jpg

2j30baq.jpg

Lovely photos; you had a beautiful day for it!

I agree that the buffet can get a little crowded, but I have found that what I like most about Princess ships is that the spaces are smaller -- big ship w/a small ship feel. It can lead to crowding, but I either suck it up and deal or else grab lunch early before the mad rush.

Hope you'll get to sail on the CB or one of the others soon. Because the BVE doesn't let you experience two awesome Princess things: freshwater swimming pools and the goat cheese souffle in the dining room!

We'll be on this ship in a couple months and it was nice to see advance photos that aren't professionally staged.

I do recall from past cruises on Princess that the buffet gets a little tight at times, but I can zip in and out when others are dawdeling and get what I want. I dawdle at times myself and don't mind someone zipping in for one thing and then out of the lines.

It's odd that the design is so poor, since the space ratio is usually better than RCL and Carnival.

Thanks for sharing the photos. I was hoping someone on the ship would be doing "a live from" thread. But no such luck. I'll have to wait till they get back and hopefully someone will post on the roll call. We were supposed to be on this cruise but had to cancel on Wed. before the cruise. I really enjoyed our roll call and was really looking forward to meeting a lot of the people on the roll call. There is always a next time!

As far as taking your photo, when Mom and I boarded the Caribbean for the day last month, they took our photo also. They did the same when we boarded the Emerald for the day last year. Like you, we'd never been on Princess, but were so impressed we're looking for a cruise sometime! And I remember that all staff we encountered, especially in the Horizon Court were so friendly and helpful. I can certainly understand why Princess has so many fans!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your information on the Bon Voyage Experience. I am a little confused though. I just spoke to Princess about this program and they told me that the lunch for the guest would be served in the dining room not the buffet. Can you clarify that for me? Thanks!

We have sailed on Princess 4 times. Our upcoming cruise on Nov 23rd will be our 5th and we will be Platinum members. We have also sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and Princess is our favorite. I would sail Royal Caribbean again but probably not Carnival.

Thank you for your information on the Bon Voyage Experience. I am a little confused though. I just spoke to Princess about this program and they told me that the lunch for the guest would be served in the dining room not the buffet. Can you clarify that for me? Thanks!

We have sailed on Princess 4 times. Our upcoming cruise on Nov 23rd will be our 5th and we will be Platinum members. We have also sailed on Royal Caribbean and Carnival and Princess is our favorite. I would sail Royal Caribbean again but probably not Carnival.

The Bon Voyage Lunch is served in the MDR and includes a glass of wine. There is nothing stopping you from eating at the buffet, pizza or grill either. When we did the BVE we had a pre-lunch at the buffet before it got crowded, then headed down to the MDR for our real lunch. :D

The Bon Voyage Lunch is served in the MDR and includes a glass of wine. There is nothing stopping you from eating at the buffet, pizza or grill either. When we did the BVE we had a pre-lunch at the buffet before it got crowded, then headed down to the MDR for our real lunch. :D

I got ya!! Only on a cruise ship!!! :) Thanks for clarifying!!

My husband and I will be enjoying our "Bon Voyage Experience" on Caribbean Princess at the Port of Houston/Bayport Cruise Terminal, tomorrow, 11/16/13. We have been looking forward to this little adventure as part of our anniversary plans... and for checking-out

Princess, since we have mostly cruised with NCL.

:)We will post more ASAP, following our experience.

My husband and I will be enjoying our "Bon Voyage Experience" on Caribbean Princess at the Port of Houston/Bayport Cruise Terminal, tomorrow, 11/16/13. We have been looking forward to this little adventure as part of our anniversary plans... and for checking-out

Have a great time! Looking forward to hearing about it. We go in January.:)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience - please also let me know where you will park for that day. Thanks

Edited by EV2008

Yes please give us all details. We are sailing on her next Sat and have guest joining us for the Bon Voyage experience as well. He'll need handy cap parking as he had knee replacement surgery last month. Anxious to hear all about it! Enjoy!

...:( SO disappointed! The current time is 12:50pm, and we are back home already. Yes, it is a foggy day in the Houston area, and yes, the ship did arrive into port late. But, we got no indication that our "Bon Voyage Experience" was canceled, until we arrived at the port area, only to be turned away, by port police, until 3:30. We called the 800# on our eTicket Boarding Pass and asked what plans were going to be made for us. "Mike" put my husband on hold for several minutes, and came back on to say, "your experience has been canceled due to the delay! You will still receive your Future Cruise Credit (if booked within 90 days)."

So, now that we are home (116 miles RT), I see that we were sent an email alert at 10:56am (when we were already heading to the port...

with our "old-fashioned" cell phones). Anyway, the alert did not address the Bon Voyage Experience, just regular cruise passengers.

* Lesson learned: if weather looks at all "iffy" call the 800# prior to heading to the port!!!

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the parking, since we didn't get close enough to even see it. Nor was I able to get the photos I wanted, because we were rushed along, so they could turn-away the long line building-up behind us. :rolleyes:

...:( SO disappointed! The current time is 12:50pm, and we are back home already. Yes, it is a foggy day in the Houston area, and yes, the ship did arrive into port late. But, we got no indication that our "Bon Voyage Experience" was canceled, until we arrived at the port area, only to be turned away, by port police, until 3:30. We called the 800# on our eTicket Boarding Pass and asked what plans were going to be made for us. "Mike" put my husband on hold for several minutes, and came back on to say, "your experience has been canceled due to the delay! You will still receive your Future Cruise Credit (if booked within 90 days)."

So, now that we are home (116 miles RT), I see that we were sent an email alert at 10:56am (when we were already heading to the port...

with our "old-fashioned" cell phones). Anyway, the alert did not address the Bon Voyage Experience, just regular cruise passengers.

* Lesson learned: if weather looks at all "iffy" call the 800# prior to heading to the port!!!

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the parking, since we didn't get close enough to even see it. Nor was I able to get the photos I wanted, because we were rushed along, so they could turn-away the long line building-up behind us. :rolleyes:

So Sorry to hear about the cacelation, will they let you do it next week?? If nothing else I think they need to refund you your money since they canceled and not you.

We made reservation for the next Saturday, hopefully we will be able to have the BVA

4nfie.jpg

2iuw483.jpg

5v82ko.jpg

Thanks for posting your photos. I've been on 2 BVE's on the Grand and also posted my photos so people could see what the ship was like. I'll be on the Island next fall and perhaps someone will post photos as you have done.

Tom:)

we brought our 2 daughters on the BVE in New York as well. After having a wonderful lunch in the MDR they ate their way through the rest of the venues trying a bit of everything. It's a great idea to check out the ship and accommodations before sailing. For those checking out the CB in Houston, when we disembarked there was tons of parking very close to the terminal building. It was empty but then again we were off the ship early and it was the first arrival of the CB in Houston so not sure how crowded it might be normally. It was lovely and I will do it again.

OH NO!!! I am SO sorry to hear this!! Yes they should definitely give you your money back or at least allow you to do another week. I have heard about the fog in the Houston area so I guess this could be a problem. Hopefully not for us next week flying in and then for our BV guest also.

Keep usposted if you do wind up getting to do another time.