Sunburn! ouch.

erin_c

So, first can I say how excited I am?? Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise November 14 to the Caribbean. Warm air, warm water, beach -- goodness it's my version of Heaven. BUT -- I'm super concerned about burning. I'm porcelain and I burn bad. I usually take the craziest precautions when I have beach vacations but obviously the Caribbean sun is way different. I literally bought 100+ sun screen (maybe that doesn't even work and it's psychological lol). Also have a nice big jug of Aloe.

I have a cute cover-up that won't cover my shoulders so that's more pool wear, for the actual beach I have a light, long-sleeved white button-up. If my legs get burnt, so be it, but my shoulders/back/face is Hell, usually gives me a fever -- from a typical burn, not a burned-so-bad-it's-sun-poisoning. I think I need to buy a floppy, wide-brimmed hat. I think I have one of those shirts you can wear in the water too. If I didn't throw it out x years ago I'll definitely be bringing it.

So to all my fair, pasty white friends, what measures do you take? Do my plans sound good or must I do more? ;):D

Anything over 30 SPF is a waste of money...the percentage of protection only goes up by about 1% for every 15 SPF after 30.....but you pay big bucks for it!

The key is application. Apply your sunscreen 30 mins BEFORE you get in the sun....this is crucial! It takes that long to bond to your skin and create the protection. And, you must apply 1 full ounce (a shotglass full) to an adult body...and you have to apply it every 2 hours! Yep....even if it says "Waterproof".....it only lasts 2 hours! Towels will rub it right off. So...bring lots of 30 SPF sunscreen!

Wear clothing that prevents sun from getting to you! Sit in the shade (even tho you will still be getting sun....shade is NOT a protectant!

Use sunblock, and use it often. Also, look for the following key word: "BROAD SPECTRUM". It means that it blocks both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are the more deadly of the two, and they cause skin cancer. UVB rays burn your skin and make it feel red and hot. (You still need moderate levels of both of them in order to get your dose of vitamin D.) If the sunblock does not say "broad spectrum", it means that it only blocks the UVB rays, in which case, you will not burn, but you can still get skin cancer from overexposure to sun.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I completely disagree about anything more than 30 SPF being a waste of money. You're getting very little protection at only 30. My dermatologist has shown me studies where it shows that 100 SPF is what should be used. I have found that level at very good prices at Walgreens. I'm in the sun a lot bring an archaeologist, scuba diver, and car show participant. After years of those activities, I have very little sun damage with the exception of my hands, which I often neglect to get sunscreen on, but not anymore. I use a combination of 50 and 100 SPF. The 100 is used as a base, with additional applications of the 50.

So, first can I say how excited I am?? Boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise November 14 to the Caribbean. Warm air, warm water, beach -- goodness it's my version of Heaven. BUT -- I'm super concerned about burning. I'm porcelain and I burn bad. I usually take the craziest precautions when I have beach vacations but obviously the Caribbean sun is way different. I literally bought 100+ sun screen (maybe that doesn't even work and it's psychological lol). Also have a nice big jug of Aloe.

I have a cute cover-up that won't cover my shoulders so that's more pool wear, for the actual beach I have a light, long-sleeved white button-up. If my legs get burnt, so be it, but my shoulders/back/face is Hell, usually gives me a fever -- from a typical burn, not a burned-so-bad-it's-sun-poisoning. I think I need to buy a floppy, wide-brimmed hat. I think I have one of those shirts you can wear in the water too. If I didn't throw it out x years ago I'll definitely be bringing it.

So to all my fair, pasty white friends, what measures do you take? Do my plans sound good or must I do more? ;):D

My husband is like you - very pale skinned thanks to his British mom AND susceptible to skin cancer. He wears a long sleeved shirt and hat he got from Coolibar [www.coolibar.com]; Magellan shirts also have some SPF protection. Not terribly sexy, but at our age that's not really a consideration!

Edited by panoramaofthepast

+1 for the sunsceen tips. But also watch out when you are out in the sun and it's windy. When it's windy, you tend to burn faster, also because you don't feel your skin is heating up. Aloe vera is a very good product.

Watch out if you burn easily. I don't tan quick, but normally, I don't burn either. But in the Carib. last year in November, I got a nasty burn on my head which was close to being a first degree burn. Also watch out with very thin shirts. I literally had the logo of my t-shirt onto my chest :D

I use Targets brand of sunscreen. It's had high ratings from Consumer Reports.

http://www.target.com/p/up-up-continuous-mist-spray-sunscreen-spf-50-10-oz/-/A-14532439#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=sunscreen

I also have very fair and sensitive skin and get great results. The only time I got burned was during a snorkling excursion since I was directly in the water for an extended period of time with little protection.

My dermatologist advised using sunscreen with zinc as the main ingredient. He said it worked better. Also, there are hats available(I know because I have one) that are wide brimmed AND have built in sunscreen. My hat has an SPF of 50 in the brim. Check with your local dermatologist or gardening store. Good luck. I am a melanoma survivor so I fully understand the risks. Also, make sure your sunglasses have polorizing lenses to protect your eyes.

You've gotten some great advice on sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and sun-blocking clothing. But, don't forget that shade can be your friend, too. My DH needs to limit his sun exposure, also. We always scope out a part of the beach with natural shade (lots of trees) -- or we find umbrellas, palapas, or tiki-huts that we can take refuge under. On the ship, we prefer the solarium (covered) pools, if we're going to be out there all day. :)

Also, don't forget that you can get badly burned by the sun reflecting off of shiny surfaces like the water and sand. I got burned one time sitting next to my Mustang at a car show. I was in the shade pretty much, but the side of my face was being hit by a reflection from the paint and I was sunburned.

You should also apply 'After sun' lotion in the evening after you've showered. This helps to stop your skin from drying out and peeling, it will also help with any minor sunburn. For major sunburn we find 'Calomine Lotion' is great.

If you're getting a fever after burning then you're probably suffering from heatstroke, a sun hat will help with that. If I don't wear a hat I suffer from heatstroke, even if I don't burn.

As everyone else as said, make sure you apply the lotion liberally and often.

Have a great cruise....

If you go snorkelling, wear a shirt. Very easy to burn your back without knowing it while you are mesmerized by the fish and coral! If you can't find the shirt you mentioned in your first post, any light-colored t-shirt will help.

Stay hydrated. If you get a headache, feel light-headed, start sweating profusely, feel feverish, get out of the sun immediately as you might be suffering from heat EXHAUSTION. If you STOP sweating and your skin feels hot and dry, and you are dizzy, have a headache, feel confused, you might have heat STROKE, and you need to see a doctor asap as true heat stroke can be fatal.

Hope none of that happens, of course, and that you have a great cruise!

I personally swear by Bullfrog brand sunscreen. I wear a coverup and a hat. I rent clamshells or an umbrella at the very least.

Another thing I do when on the ship at the pool, is I tie my sarong longways (vertically) to my lounger/chair at each corner - when I've had all of the sun I can tolerate I simply pull the sarong over my head and lie underneath it. It is thin enough to breathe through and feel the wonderful breeze and covers well past my knee. I use a t-shirt or something else from the knee down. This allows me to stay poolside for hours longer than I normally would. It also lets me take a nap without anyone catching me with my mouth hanging open LOL. And another positive is it marks my chair when I get up to take a dip or run to the restroom.

So, if you ever walk past someone underneath a sarong, it's me :D

Edited by 2bthereagain

You've gotten some great advice on sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, and sun-blocking clothing. But, don't forget that shade can be your friend, too. My DH needs to limit his sun exposure, also. We always scope out a part of the beach with natural shade (lots of trees) -- or we find umbrellas, palapas, or tiki-huts that we can take refuge under. On the ship, we prefer the solarium (covered) pools, if we're going to be out there all day. :)

The only time I'm not in the shade of some sort is when I'm actually in the water.

LuLu

~~~~

I am the same. After a bad burn/sunstroke in Aruba, I now get off the ship as early as possible and do any beach sitting - in shade if possible - but all before the most intense mid day sun. You also beat the crowds. A swim and a quiet read for an hour or 90 minutes in the shade is fine for me. The balance of the day I tour fully dressed - long cotton pants, long sleeved shirt & hat. Or go back to the ship and have a blissfully quiet afternoon!

And of course - lots of sunscreen. I use 45.