Rotator Cuff Surgery and Cruising

rid891

No advice from me on whether to cruise. But two considerations.

1. Whether the doc scopes you or does an open repair is nor nearly the issue with recovery as what repairs they need to do to your shoulder. I had a much easier recovery from an open total shoulder replacement than DD did with a complex shoulder repair done with a scope.

2. As others said, stay on top of the pain and be prepared to sleep in a chair (recliner?) for several days. Much more comfortable than laying down flat.

Good luck!

Update.... First Thanks to all of you for your insight it really did help Her mind set.

Surgery went well and have been fighting pain since Wed Morning. The comment about staying ahead of the pain is right on target as well as the sleeping in the recliner. The first few days have been long but there have been glimmers of some pain reduction. Our fingers are crossed for a quick solid recovery.

Oh and btw The Doc felt that she will be fine to cruise as long as I do all the heavy lifting....right now I hope that includes anything 12oz or more :)

Glad to hear that things are going well. I have had both shoulders done. With the second one, I cruised about 6 weeks after. I was able to do my therapy on board using weights in the gym. We always walk a mile in the morning when on board and my therapist warned me not to swing my arm as I walked so I just kept the arm tucked across my waist. The other thing the therapist told me was that I should not do my exercises unless I was able to ice the shoulder afterward. She said she would prefer no exercises to exercising without icing. I brought some large ziplok bags with me and would to to a bar for ice after each session and then ice the shoulder for the required time.

Hope all goes well. Recovery seems a very individual thing and I was fortunate that I did not seem to feel as much pain as others I met at therapy.

Just thought of something else. Take a sling . . . It's a signal to others not to shake hands, put hand on shoulder, etc. Really helpful in airport and cruise terminal too.

I agree. When I was given the sling, I was told it was not to help me but to keep others away from me.

I had the rotator surgery at the end of April a couple of years ago and went on a cruise around June 25 a little over a month and a half after the surgery without any problems. I still could not do much and still used a sling and was able yo enjoy the cruise.

I have had orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder 16 years ago, and may be facing it again. I find out next Friday. I've also had adhesive capsulitis multiple times. My point is that I know how painful the PT is. I was in PT for 6 months, but it was more because they were trying to prevent it freezing up again. As others have pointed out, everyone is different and the only authority is your doctor.

On a positive note, last year I had over a third of one of my lungs removed. Six weeks later I was on the Silhouette in the Mediterranean. Yes, I was very limited in what I could and couldn't do; but it was THE BEST place to rest and recover. I went on excursions. I did what I could, and didn't worry about anything I missed. :)

I agree it is down to the physio therapy - I travelled with a bag full of pain killers 2 weeks after and a sling. Lifting was a no no and I got banged a couple of times too. It was not the cruise that caused me the pain, it was the flight out as the person next to me was leaning on me. If you have to fly make sure that the shoulder in question is next to the wall where you can put a pillow

Also the good support of my husband who had to dress and undress me

Edited by Tiggertastic

We have cleared week one and the pain has dropped to a "one" but sleeping is still a major challenge. We start light PT next week so I am sure the pain will reappear :(..but it is also the beginning of the next phase and for that we are both excited.

BTW I have found that The Caregiver becomes the unsung hero in the healing process..lol...I wrote this while my wife was resting ;).Thanks again for all of your insight. The Shoulder may just be the most complicated joint in our body to heal

My Wife is having surgery on Tuesday and they are telling her up to 12 weeks to recover. She has been trying to tough it out until after our cruise in late January but it has become just tooo painful, Well as (un)luck would have it the 12th week is exactly the same week as our cruise... I am just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this type of surgery and what was your recovery time experience? Do you think she can go on this trip?

Everyone heals differently so asking for inputs here is useless.

My Wife is having surgery on Tuesday and they are telling her up to 12 weeks to recover. She has been trying to tough it out until after our cruise in late January but it has become just tooo painful, Well as (un)luck would have it the 12th week is exactly the same week as our cruise... I am just wondering if anyone out there has dealt with this type of surgery and what was your recovery time experience? Do you think she can go on this trip?

DH had surgery in January and was cruising 1st week of March. The day we got on the ship was the 1st day without his sling

I had LEFT rotator cuff surgery a month ago. DH is a saint but he's had to set up a penalty box considering my grouchiness. He is happy to help but limits are reached. :o

Fortunately, my right hand is dominate.

I still having problems with one hand/one arm dressing, food prep, dining with knife/fork, coffee/wine pouring, carrying things, and sitting for long periods. Packing clothes, the ship shower, the lack of 8 pillows for sleeping, the dining experience, and transportation to and from the port is a major concern for me as we have a bucket list long cruise planned for the April 2014 from Ft. Lauderdale to Norwegian Fjords.

Fortunately, full payment is not an issue at this time. If we were due for full payment, as I assume you are for a Jan. 2014 cruise from FTL, I would cancel in a heartbeat.

Why I would cancel a Jan 2014 cruise rather than make final payment now:

-You have no doubt not received a copy of the operation report

-You have not had the post-op visit with the surgeon

-Your wife is looking at a few months of pain pills, as she goes forward with physical therapy.

Ice packs will dominate a shelf of your freezer for weeks to come.

-Most of all, a January cruise out of Florida ports can usually be booked at the last minute in January.

Because January is, as you know, just after a big holiday season when many people take time off.

February is a not the best time for last minute cruise deals because the snowbirds are here and the weather up north has made more people think about the warm air and blue skies we have here.

By mid-December or early January, your DW will know if she feels up to taking a cruise. How can she know now, and before full payment is due?

Why add the stress of needing to be well for January packing/flight/hotel/cruise/ports/drink package/dining experience.

Let it go for now, and give her time to concentrate on how she feels rather than how many days she has before taking the cruise.

I still haven't felt like dressing for a restaurant meal and glad there has been no pressure at my house for me to do anything but rest, relax, and find the way to get more sleep.

I hope this has been helpful from one who is recovering right now. Frankly, I'm too uncomfortable from physical therapy and still on an undefined daily plan. When I can dress easier and go out for a simple meal, I may feel better about future travels.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

One of my coworkers had rotator cuff surgery 2 weeks ago and she is back at work, arm in a sling.

She can't run or lift anything heavy but she is doing well.

Funny thing though, we had to go to a formal dinner event on Tuesday night and she got dressed at home with help of her husband but I had to cut her meat for her at the event!

I had the same surgery, too had surgery on a Wednesday back to work the following Monday. Granted my arm was in a sling.

I think you should be find.

How wrong could it be to recover where they wait on you hand and foot. No dishes no cleaning. Its probably the best medicine in the world.

Go for it, take the cruise.

Norma

Reading these posts got me wondering about the exact timing of my recovery. I just dug out my old calendar. My surgery was 9 years ago. Surgery on Oct. 18. We moved out of our house on Nov. 16. We left on a 14 day cruise on Dec. 4. I did some packing for the move pre-surgery. DH did the rest of the packing. I don't remember any difficulty packing my clothes for the cruise, but I'm sure I did not carry any bags with that arm. I was no longer on pain pills by the time of the cruise. I did my PT while on the ship and iced my shoulder afterward as instructed by my therapist. I did not need ice any other time. I took ziplok bags and got ice at a bar, wrapped the bag in a towel and laid it on my shoulder. Of course, everyone is different and everything seems easier in hindsight, but that was my experience.

Reading these posts got me wondering about the exact timing of my recovery. I just dug out my old calendar. My surgery was 9 years ago. Surgery on Oct. 18. We moved out of our house on Nov. 16. We left on a 14 day cruise on Dec. 4. I did some packing for the move pre-surgery. DH did the rest of the packing. I don't remember any difficulty packing my clothes for the cruise, but I'm sure I did not carry any bags with that arm. I was no longer on pain pills by the time of the cruise. I did my PT while on the ship and iced my shoulder afterward as instructed by my therapist. I did not need ice any other time. I took ziplok bags and got ice at a bar, wrapped the bag in a towel and laid it on my shoulder. Of course, everyone is different and everything seems easier in hindsight, but that was my experience.

All rotator surgeries are not alike; in addition, age, fitness, damage, left or right, and pain tolerance will matter. The surgeons report and the post-op exam are the main considerations before making a final payment for a Jan. 2014 cruise.

I'm hopeful that my recovery will be smooth and quick this time. I'm five weeks post-op. I would not make final payment this week on a Jan. cruise. My opinion.

In addition, I have a friend who is almost 8 weeks post op on her dominate arm and still can't raise her coffee cup!

January cruises are easy to book last minute. I suggested waiting on the cruise decision..

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

Thanks to all for your feedback. I believe everyone has added wonderful "food for thought" ideas. The concerns raised on the pre and post travel days have made me think....as well as how many pillows will my Wife be addicted ;)to by then to sleep? So, as a guy who always loves a Plan B all of this feedback is great. Very Light PT has started at home but the first phase starts Monday so I will update when possible...

One more consideration - if you do go make sure not to overuse the 'good' arm. I have not had this surgery (thank goodness, based on what I have read here!!) but did injure my shoulder a couple years ago (inflamed rotator cuff). I could not believe how long it took to heal (about 1 1/2 years). One thing I had to be very careful of was to not abuse the other shoulder due to my frustration at not being able to do what I wanted to with both. Even with help travel can present a lot of stress to someone working with injuries as other people are impatient and stressed out themselves and may bring some 'peer pressure' to do more than you really should be doing. I love the idea of the sling - it definitely will help keep others aware and away, and perhaps a bit more patient. Good luck. Hope all goes well.

It all depends and you should only take advice on this from your doctor and therapist. The recovery period depends upon the nature of the surgery and the physical shape of the patient prior to the surgery. If it's just a 'bone spur' type of shoulder, out of therapy in a month. If it's a major rotator cuff tear kind of repair, it can take months.

I was lucky. Thought it was only bone spurs but found a small tear too. Good thing I had it done before it got 'real bad'. A month of therapy and I was fine. I also had one of the best shoulder doctors in the US. This guy worked on million dollar athletes.

What ever you do, make sure your wife has the surgery now and does not try to tough it out. It will only get worse. The therapy will get longer and more painful.

Well, she had her first post op Doc visit yesterday and he was pleased with her current state. He did confirm that he fixed a tear and clean up a bone spur.

She also had her first PT yesterday and all went well there also. We will have to see how today goes and if there is any lingering pain issues. It does seem that for the most part everyone seems to be happy with the early progress. :))

Well, she had her first post op Doc visit yesterday and he was pleased with her current state. He did confirm that he fixed a tear and clean up a bone spur.

She also had her first PT yesterday and all went well there also. We will have to see how today goes and if there is any lingering pain issues. It does seem that for the most part everyone seems to be happy with the early progress. :))

Happy to hear things are going well. Keep us posted.

Good news. I send my best for recovery.

I cruised 11 weeks after significant tear and shoulder fracture. Traveled with pain killers, Bands for therapy and had some acupuncture on the ship. Needed to sleep sitting up and had a good time. I do not think I would have been happier at home.