Requesting a Special Dish in MDR?

jayisgerman

Ruth, you need to ask for the good nuts in the bar lounges.:)

We were served the good nuts on Veendam formal nights,,,,,, like always. Aren't they still serving them on all the ships on formal night?

We've been asking for plain steamed veggies at dinner for years. Each evening they bring a plate of two or three different veggies for us to share. Usually some combination of broccoli, carrots, green beans, brussel sprouts/cabbage, delicious!!! :)

Ruth, you need to ask for the good nuts in the bar lounges.:)

No need to ask...on our recent cruise, the "good nuts" were provided liberally. At one of the cocktail parties in the Crow's Nest...and also at the Mariner's reception. We don't frequent the bars (except for the Piano Bar) so I don't know about those venues.

Edited by innlady1

We were served the good nuts on Veendam formal nights,,,,,, like always. Aren't they still serving them on all the ships on formal night?

We've been asking for plain steamed veggies at dinner for years. Each evening they bring a plate of two or three different veggies for us to share. Usually some combination of broccoli, carrots, green beans, brussel sprouts/cabbage, delicious!!! :)

Very often, on our recent cruise, I enjoyed the salmon with a side of steamed veggies. That was all I needed!

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship wanted their special order for dinner, brought along their favorite recipes, had standing orders every night? :eek: Talk about dinner taking hours to get on the table.......... Wow.

I agree, they have a menu for a reason. Don't be a pita.

Once on about the second night of a Caribbean cruise a man at the next table told the waiter that he wanted catfish in a lime sauce on the last night. He said HAL prepared it for him on every cruise. I couldn't believe he was serious! A few minutes later an assistant maitre d' came over and talked to him.

Sure enough, on the last night, out came catfish for three of the four at the table. One of the three tasted it and then ordered something else, and IIRC the man ate her share of the fish. Sure takes a lot of chutzpah! :eek:

I like your use of the word " chutzpah" :);)

Edited by Thebes

I haven't seen the good nuts served in several years. I'll have to look for them.

We too order a plate of steamed veggies every night, but not just broccoli. I would be so bored eating that every night.

Perhaps it's just on the transatlantic cruises...I have no idea.

I haven't seen the good nuts served in several years. I'll have to look for them.

We too order a plate of steamed veggies every night, but not just broccoli. I would be so bored eating that every night.

Perhaps it's just on the transatlantic cruises...I have no idea.

We had the good nuts on Westerdam in November/December in Caribbean and Veendam, Canada/NE in August.

we had the good nuts on the Noordam in october ...preferred the little fish shaped crackers myself. i'm so uncouth :D

:o I like the goldfish, too. :D

We never eat those empty calories at home so it's a treat !

I've seen the good nuts at the special parties, but not always in the lounges on formal nights. I've asked, but get the regular peanuts instead. Guess my special touch doesn't extend beyond the galley. ;)

What is basically Bitterballen ? Anyone ? Sweet, salty or sour. ?

They are rather bland, cocktail meatball size balls, light rather than dense...... delicious. :) They are beef based with bread crumbs but not 'heavy'.

Edited by sail7seas

If it is on the menu it is not a special request.

It turns into a special request when, like me, you request 'no butter', substitute double vegetable in place of the potato usually served with the entree, or no chocolate sauce or whipped cream on the dessert or........

Whenever it is requested to be served other than exactly as the Chef prepared it for all, it becomes a special request........ doesn't it?

I tried ordering a special dish on our recent Eurodam cruise but to no avail; the head waiter looked at me like I was crazy, our waiters laughed when I asked them.

My request was for my wife's birthday and was chana masala.

Each night though she did always get a plate full of broccoli to go with her dinner. They have two different types, one for appetizers and one for main dish. The main dish version lacked flavor and the appetizer was awesome. FYI.

I tried ordering a special dish on our recent Eurodam cruise but to no avail; the head waiter looked at me like I was crazy, our waiters laughed when I asked them.

My request was for my wife's birthday and was chana masala.

Each night though she did always get a plate full of broccoli to go with her dinner. They have two different types, one for appetizers and one for main dish. The main dish version lacked flavor and the appetizer was awesome. FYI.

:confused: Two different types of broccoli? Rabe vs the usual we are accustomed to?

I have to add to this thread that in many cases the request for a dish was just a casual conversation." Is this on the menu this cruise?" " Missed a good menu item the other night."

It was the MDR staff that made suggestions like "would you like to have it" after a casual statement like "wish we could have been here last night as we missed this."

The main reason we continue to book Dam cruises is the crews that are always trying to make our cruise a very special experience.

Good nuts every formal night and appetizers offered at every lounge for pre dinner cocktails. It does help to be friendly and be courteous to those working there butts off for you.

Edited by aliaschief