Requesting a Special Dish in MDR?

jayisgerman

:confused: Two different types of broccoli? Rabe vs the usual we are accustomed to?

I meant just cooked differently; I assume the main is basically steamed as-is and another cooked in salted water. Probably as one is a side to a main course so it can be "bland" with no issues.

It turns into a special request when, like me, you request 'no butter', substitute double vegetable in place of the potato usually served with the entree, or no chocolate sauce or whipped cream on the dessert or........

Whenever it is requested to be served other than exactly as the Chef prepared it for all, it becomes a special request........ doesn't it?

Yes, then this becomes just as much of a issue as any other special request.

Have to look for those good nuts next formal night. We usually hang out in the Ocean bar or Explorers Lounge after early dinner, and we haven't seen them there. I"ll keep looking.

We had them in the Crow's Nest and in the Queen's Lounge on the NA. Not that they're that special...as I'm sitting here munching on a nice mix of "good nuts" at home. ;)

We had good mixed nuts in the Piano Bar on the Zuiderdam, and on some nights in the Crows Nest (on others it was just peanuts).

Annette...do you have any idea what the big deal is about the "good nuts"? I can buy those at home so it's not really a big deal. In all my years on HAL, I've not been able to figure out the significance of this....

I have to add to this thread that in many cases the request for a dish was just a casual conversation." Is this on the menu this cruise?" " Missed a good menu item the other night."

It was the MDR staff that made suggestions like "would you like to have it" after a casual statement like "wish we could have been here last night as we missed this."

The main reason we continue to book Dam cruises is the crews that are always trying to make our cruise a very special experience.

Good nuts every formal night and appetizers offered at every lounge for pre dinner cocktails. It does help to be friendly and be courteous to those working there butts off for you.

Yes and Yes. :)

Those look very special. I've never seen them on a Hal cruise, but would like to.

HAL has served bitterballen as hors d'ouerves for as long as we have sailed with them. I can't remember a cruise we didn't have some either in Ocean Bar before dinner or at a cocktail party....... You likely have eaten them and didn't realize it or didn't know what they were called. :)

I really like bitterballen. :)

Annette...do you have any idea what the big deal is about the "good nuts"? I can buy those at home so it's not really a big deal. In all my years on HAL, I've not been able to figure out the significance of this....

The only big deal that I can think of is that HAL has gone to 60%+ peanuts mix instead of the "good ones" that we can buy at home, that have cashews and brazil nuts etc. Another cost-saving measure, I guess, as the more peanuts there are, the cheaper they are.

Yes and Yes. :)

HAL has served bitterballen as hors d'ouerves for as long as we have sailed with them. I can't remember a cruise we didn't have some either in Ocean Bar before dinner or at a cocktail party....... You likely have eaten them and didn't realize it or didn't know what they were called. :)

I really like bitterballen. :)

There was no bitterballen on the Eurodam at the VIP party. That is the only place I've seen them.

I have to add to this thread that in many cases the request for a dish was just a casual conversation." Is this on the menu this cruise?" " Missed a good menu item the other night."

It was the MDR staff that made suggestions like "would you like to have it" after a casual statement like "wish we could have been here last night as we missed this."

The main reason we continue to book Dam cruises is the crews that are always trying to make our cruise a very special experience.

Good nuts every formal night and appetizers offered at every lounge for pre dinner cocktails. It does help to be friendly and be courteous to those working there butts off for you.

I think it's funny when people suggest that people be friendly. I think most folks that I meet on a cruise are. Then there are folks that are just obnoxious that don't realize it.

Sorry to hear you missed out on them.

We've been lucky, it seems. :)

I think the server was not happy when I asked sorta like isn't there enough here already:D. When I was on the Oosterdam I got the peeps that were sitting around me at the party hooked on them. Hopefully they will have them on the Westerdam. A plate with bitterballen and a panama roll and I'll be good to go:D;). I think I'm suffering from food withdrawal from the cruise. Funny thing when I was on the ship I got sick of eating a lot quicker than I normally do. I'm never happy:D.

I think it's funny when people suggest that people be friendly. I think most folks that I meet on a cruise are. Then there are folks that are just obnoxious that don't realize it.

It's those few that probably return to write a terrible review. Just saying it pays to be nice and why not. We really enjoy the crew.

Only pet peeve on our recent cruise, which you were on, was why can't people wait for people to exit the elevator before trying to aggressively get on board.

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship wanted their special order for dinner, brought along their favorite recipes, had standing orders every night? :eek: Talk about dinner taking hours to get on the table.......... Wow.

That is why they ask for special requests to be made a day ahead, so they have a day to do it. It never hurts to ask, if it is too much they will say so.

That is why they ask for special requests to be made a day ahead, so they have a day to do it. It never hurts to ask, if it is too much they will say so.

Yes, special requests require 24 hr. advance notice. It really is not that unusual---there is a form that is filled out by the DR steward or Supervisor and submitted to the chefs for special requests. I agree, if it is too much or not possible they will inform you.

Many of our "special meals" were sent by chefs that we have gotten to know, without any request on our part. Sometimes a chef will visit our table and ask what he can prepare for us. We usually tell them to surprise us and they have.

On the other hand, if they are really busy and are unable to fulfill a request, we do not make a big deal about it and order off the menu.

Can you imagine if everyone on the ship wanted their special order for dinner, brought along their favorite recipes, had standing orders every night? :eek: Talk about dinner taking hours to get on the table.......... Wow.

When we had our tour of the QM2 a year ago we were taken into the top level dining room. (Name escapes me). The person giving the tour explained that passengers could bring their favourite recipes from home and the chef would prepare them. Impressive or what?:)

It's those few that probably return to write a terrible review. Just saying it pays to be nice and why not. We really enjoy the crew.

Only pet peeve on our recent cruise, which you were on, was why can't people wait for people to exit the elevator before trying to aggressively get on board.

I thought the crew was awesome for the most part on the Eurodam. They seemed to be very happy which is great.

I didn't notice that too much about the elevator but it happens a lot here. That bug the heck out of me.

When we had our tour of the QM2 a year ago we were taken into the top level dining room. (Name escapes me). The person giving the tour explained that passengers could bring their favourite recipes from home and the chef would prepare them. Impressive or what?:)

I'm thinking those pax pay a shipload of money for their staterooms so that's likely why it happens. That said, I rarely eat anything impressive at home so I can't imagine what I would want them to cook.

I'm thinking those pax pay a shipload of money for their staterooms so that's likely why it happens. That said, I rarely eat anything impressive at home so I can't imagine what I would want them to cook.

I cook a lot and am always trying new recipes I see on Food Network. Having said that, it seems really weird to me to bring recipes from home to have them cook for me. DH and I are happy trying what I offered on the menu and experiencing new things.

I cook a lot and am always trying new recipes I see on Food Network. Having said that, it seems really weird to me to bring recipes from home to have them cook for me. DH and I are happy trying what I offered on the menu and experiencing new things.

Me too, I usually like to cook and bake. But the cleaning up - ugh.

Another reason to love cruises - great food, no work.

Me too, I usually like to cook and bake. But the cleaning up - ugh.

Another reason to love cruises - great food, no work.

Sorry this is off topic but I bought some tuna (frozen not canned). Do either of you have a recipe for cooking it that is not to complicated? I had tuna one night on the cruise and I swear it was the best meal I had in the MDR.

Edited by lorekauf

I simply can't imagine bringing recipes from home and then ordering them made special on a cruise. But then, I usually order salt free meals the day before. I get the menu the night before and circle what I want. Then I can add a little salt on my own.