Requesting a Special Dish in MDR?

jayisgerman

I simply can't imagine bringing recipes from home and then ordering them made special on a cruise. But then, I usually order salt free meals the day before. I get the menu the night before and circle what I want. Then I can add a little salt on my own.

I have to say...that's one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard regarding cruising and food!

If I could get anything I wanted on a ship, I would have lamb chop appetizers, a cheese fondue, beef Wellington, a nice soufflé, baked Alaska, and a NY strip steak with a port wine reduction sauce at each dinner. I don't see HAL accommodating me.

I'm thinking those pax pay a shipload of money for their staterooms so that's likely why it happens. That said, I rarely eat anything impressive at home so I can't imagine what I would want them to cook.

I dare say you got that right. :D

I simply can't imagine bringing recipes from home and then ordering them made special on a cruise. But then, I usually order salt free meals the day before. I get the menu the night before and circle what I want. Then I can add a little salt on my own.

Lorene...try www.foodnetwork.com and search for "tuna" (I just did it). There's a recipe for pan seared tuna with avocado and soy sauce that sound very good...and easy, too! I have never made tuna but might give this a try!

Thx ladies :)

If I could get anything I wanted on a ship, I would have lamb chop appetizers, a cheese fondue, beef Wellington, a nice soufflé, baked Alaska, and a NY strip steak with a port wine reduction sauce at each dinner. I don't see HAL accommodating me.

In Pinnacle, you can have some of that.

You can have lamb chops for entree, NY strip steak with choice of several sauces, baked alaska and perhaps souffle..... (I'm not sure about that as I don't eat them).

Beef Wellington used to be on HAL dinner menus all the time but I haven't noticed it lately. Again, maybe it's there but I don't eat that so may have missed it.

Go to Pinnacle. :)

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] In Pinnacle, you can have some of that. [/B]
[B]You can have lamb chops for entree, NY strip steak with choice of several sauces, baked alaska and perhaps souffle..... (I'm not sure about that as I don't eat them).[/B]

[B]Beef Wellington used to be on HAL dinner menus all the time but I haven't noticed it lately. Again, maybe it's there but I don't eat that so may have missed it.[/B]

[B]Go to Pinnacle. :)[/B]

[/quote]
They did have beef wellington on my Eurodam cruise. I have not seen it a lot either. I'm thinking it was because this was a longer cruise.

[quote name='lorekauf']They did have beef wellington on my Eurodam cruise. I have not seen it a lot either. I'm thinking it was because this was a longer cruise.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]We also had it on the Noordam earlier this year, but the beef was sinewy and overdone. We generally enjoyed all of our meals, so this was a definite exception.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

On our first Westerdam cruise, one of our tablemates was disappointed to see nasi goreng on the menu. He wanted bami goreng instead. He got a huge platter of bami goreng the next night--enough to share with the other eight of us at the table. It was deliciously spicy.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] In Pinnacle, you can have some of that.
You can have lamb chops for entree, NY strip steak with choice of several sauces, baked alaska and perhaps souffle..... (I'm not sure about that as I don't eat them).

Beef Wellington used to be on HAL dinner menus all the time but I haven't noticed it lately. Again, maybe it's there but I don't eat that so may have missed it.

Go to Pinnacle. :)

[/B][/QUOTE]

But I want them all at dinner, every night, due to my "dietary" reasons. I do t think HAL will accommodate.

While "gluten free" isn't exactly a special dish, it is a special way to prepare a dish. HAL MDR exceeded my expectations with this. With one day notice, they went above and beyond preparing gluten free dishes for me. Most meals were excellent.

Pearl

[quote name='YubaSutter']But I want them all at dinner, every night, due to my "dietary" reasons. I do t think HAL will accommodate.[/quote]

[b] Easy.
Go to Pinnacle every night for dinner. ;) :D

[/B]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]If you do ask for a special order, be prepared to eat a lot of it! [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]On another cruise, I asked (this is just [U]asked[/U], mind you) if there was going to be the [COLOR=sienna]chocolate[/COLOR] purse for dessert during the cruise. A night or two later, what did I have served to me? Two, yes 2!!! plates of the [COLOR=sienna]chocolate[/COLOR] purse, with two on each plate. :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I enquired if the Chocolate Purse would be on the menu during the Volendam Trans Pacific cruise, but it never appeared.(Unfortunately)

[quote name='Typhoon1']Would love to sample it sometime.

Although, Sail mentions they are pretty scarce these days.[/quote]

[quote name='lorekauf']Sail did not say that at all:confused:.[/quote]

[quote name='mamaofami'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Where did Sail say that?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B] You're right, Lorekauf and Mamofami,

Sail did not say that. ;)

[/B]

[quote name='erewhon']I enquired if the Chocolate Purse would be on the menu during the Volendam Trans Pacific cruise, but it never appeared.(Unfortunately)[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]That's sad to read. When that dessert is done right, it's the best dessert I have ever had in my entire life. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Maybe some day you'll get another chance at one. I hope so. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]That's sad to read. When that dessert is done right, it's the best dessert I have ever had in my entire life. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Maybe some day you'll get another chance at one. I hope so. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's probably why it won't be seen. Hal doesn't want to ruin its reputation for lousy desserts by having a good one:D. I've never seen it on the menu.

[quote name='lorekauf']That's probably why it won't be seen. Hal doesn't want to ruin its reputation for lousy desserts by having a good one:D. I've never seen it on the menu.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We had an incredible chocolate soufflé in the MDR one night on the NA...it was to die for. Of course, the heavy doses of chocolate kept me awake most of the night![/SIZE][/FONT] :eek:

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We had an incredible chocolate soufflé in the MDR one night on the NA...it was to die for. Of course, the heavy doses of chocolate kept me awake most of the night![/SIZE][/FONT] :eek:[/quote]
I also had a good dessert. It was some chocolate caramel thing. Can't remember the name but I wanted to lick the plate after. It was so good. Usually I pick the fruit crisps because nothing appeals to me. I'm not a fan of soufflés either.

[quote name='lorekauf']I also had a good dessert. It was some chocolate caramel thing. Can't remember the name but I wanted to lick the plate after. It was so good. Usually I pick the fruit crisps because nothing appeals to me. I'm not a fan of soufflés either.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I usually choose the "no sugar added" desserts...they're not bad.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I usually choose the "no sugar added" desserts...they're not bad.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Me too, and I quite enjoy them.[/SIZE][/FONT]