Gift for Room Stewards

niceguyneastbay

I so agree. With all the fancy and expensive imported brands out there, good old domestic See's simply cannot be beat. We always pick up a box at the airport for any housewarming gifts we might need alone the way. Last box ended up being a gift for our wonderful Sister Cities guide in Kotor, Montenegro.

We all have our own special talents, but mine is being able to identify the fillings in at least 90% of all See's candies from their outside shape and signature markings after a life time of loving this brand. :p

When I was younger this meant being able to avoid the dreaded marzipan. Now that my tastes have matured a lot more, that is one of the first ones I go for, but only after taking all the marshmallow-caramel ones for myself first. I also had a pretty strong Bordeaux Creme stage too for years.

My son joined the Air Force right after high school. He spent 4 years in So. Korea and each year I would send him a pound of See's chocolates for Christmas. Half was mixed chocolates and half Bordeaux. He would offer them to his friends but always told them keep their hands off Bordeaux. Oh, my Mom worked for See's in Los Angeles. Just had to share. And now my two cents worth CASH.

Judee

We always give a cash thank you but there was one time we gave an extra thank you to a few of our favourites.

We were nearing the end of a TA from Europe and the ship was going to be doing Canada/New England. We had heard from a few crew members about how much the crew loved going to Tim Hortons. On our first Canadian stop we went, along with our friends, to Tim's and we all chipped in to buy gift cards to take back to the ship.

The cards were very well received, although one fellow looked a little puzzled. The next night we noticed him from across the dining room as he held his card in the air and said "doughnuts" with a big smile. It seems he wasn't puzzled for long. :)

I always give a tip and as I'm form Belgium, I am a little bit obligated to leave a box of Belgian chocolates everywhere I go ;-)

They go crazy for the money, but the reaction to those little treats is close.

Your Belgian chocolates reminded me - on our last cruise I asked the concierge if she was getting off in Brugges. She replied no sadly, she had hoped to get some Belgian chocolates, so since I had bought quite a few, we gave her a box of chocolates when we got back from port. She was thrilled!

Of course, we still gave her her tip :D

Always cash. However, one cruise I had brought a brand new pair of truly gorgeous heels. They were crystal covered and see through. Very expensive. The first time I put them on I discovered I couldn't walk in them.

The front desk lady was crazy over them as I staggered to the desk for something to hold onto while I took them off. I asked her size, it was the same and asked if she wanted the heels. She got all excited and thanked me lots of times. We saw her wearing them the next formal night. :)

I dont leave gifts for the steward. I dont leave gifts at hotels either. As for leaving a christmas card for someone with cash I would consider that. Whether or not someone celebrates Christmas is not something I am worried about. If they dont like the card they can simply discard it but I can reasonably sure they will not discard cash. That said I tip above and beyond the standard tip for extraordinary effort, not for the minimum. I think it is important to honor someone's religion but not at the detriment to mine. I am sure most people feel the same way.

That is very generous of you but keep in mind not all of them celebrate Christmas so I'd be a bit cautious about presenting them Christmas cards. Perhaps a nice thank you note with cash enclosed?

If somebody is giving me a $20 with a Happy Kwanzaa card, I'll be perfectly happy and completely unoffended.

I dont leave gifts for the steward. I dont leave gifts at hotels either. As for leaving a christmas card for someone with cash I would consider that. Whether or not someone celebrates Christmas is not something I am worried about. If they dont like the card they can simply discard it but I can reasonably sure they will not discard cash. That said I tip above and beyond the standard tip for extraordinary effort, not for the minimum. I think it is important to honor someone's religion but not at the detriment to mine. I am sure most people feel the same way.

Absolutely. I live in a multi-cultural area and we pretty much celebrate everyone's special days, and the non-believers in my office were never offended at getting a Christmas card - especially when there was a bonus in it.:D

We give cash for service above and beyond the expected. (The HSC we always keep in place.) We like to catch those folks the last full day aboard - hand them a folded bill and say "Thank You" personally.

Halfway through our last cruise on Carnival, DH became quite ill with a racking cough and congestion.:( He went to the ship's doctor, got meds etc but spent the rest of the cruise in the cabin - much of it on the balcony or in bed. Without us asking, our Room Steward was great about being sure he always had plenty of ice and glasses, did fresh sheets daily, kept extra Kleenex stocked, promptly removed any room service dishes, and was gracious about us staying in the cabin disembarkment day until our number was announced.

Needless to say, before we left, a hefty amount was handed to him with our heartfelt thanks. A good Room Steward is a joy & delight!:)

Keeping in mind, the second best gift is to mention them by name in your post-cruise evaluation.

Good reminder for cruisers!

I make sure to write down the correct spelling of their names as we go long so I can mention them by name in your post-cruise evaluation. :)

When we cruise over Christmas we always give our room stewards and DR servers a card with a ten or twenty in it on the holiday. They are always so incredibly thankful...I do not think many people remember them that way. On ordinary trips, we will leave them tips when we disembark or when room service brings in a tray.

We always leave extra cash for our stewards and waiters we enjoy. It's unfortunate that the cash tips end up in a pool for everyone to share.

It's unfortunate that the cash tips end up in a pool for everyone to share.

They don't.

They don't, that is unless you remove or reduce the Hotel Service Charge.

So, if you leave the HSC alone, those cash tips stay with the recipients you intend to have them.

"We all have our own special talents, but mine is being able to identify the fillings in at least 90% of all See's candies from their outside shape and signature markings after a life time of loving this brand. :p "

My grandmother worked in a candy-making place (we're talking EARLY 20th century), and she could always identify what was in each piece of candy. It was the shape plus the form of decoration/swirl/etc on top that apparently indicated what was inside. Think about chocolate-covered cherries - they always look the same (a circle kind of thing on top)......

But my suggestion is, that in addition to cash (forget the candy), you make sure excellent service is noted in WRITING to the powers that be. "They" say it makes a big difference.

Cash is the best gift, it is always the right color, size and no one is allergic to it! :) Also, a written review naming those who made your cruise special submitted to guest services is the right thing to do. It does not have to be elaborate, just get their names, your name, ship and sailing date in to management.

the best non-cash we ever left a person on a cruise ship was an international phone card. We gave out three on one trip, one to the room steward, one to our waiter, and one to our maitre'd (they were very helpful). They really appreciated the gifts and a chance to call home.

Crew can buy better phone cards than we can and they know the best ones for their countries. They can buy their cards on board the ship and with cash from us, they can get more minutes for the money than we can provide. They also have skype and facetime and laptops and all the electronics many of us have. :)

Years ago, we used to have someone get cards for us to give to crew. :)

Those were the days we used to see them all lined up at telephone booths in all the ports but we stopped getting them when we realized they no longer have the long lines at phone booths. :)

I agree completely with you, however we do have Non-Christian Friends & I always send them a Generic Christmas card such as "Joy to the world, & Peace to all mankind? Then I hand write to them "Hope you have a lovely Holiday" .I think those Friends deserve wishes just like we do.. I know they are not offended & rather doubt that any of our Stewards would be offended! It's the thought that counts!

Crew can buy better phone cards than we can and they know the best ones for their countries. They can buy their cards on board the ship and with cash from us, they can get more minutes for the money than we can provide. They also have skype and facetime and laptops and all the electronics many of us have. :)

Years ago, we used to have someone get cards for us to give to crew. :)

Those were the days we used to see them all lined up at telephone booths in all the ports but we stopped getting them when we realized they no longer have the long lines at phone booths. :)

Also agree with you on this.. On our South American cruise at all port stops, lots of the Stewards were in the terminals & even sitting outside the ship both e-mailing & "Skyping" (not sure if that's a word) back home to Family & Friends.. As you say their equipment is much better than ours.. Many were excited about talking to their kids & showing others who work with them their newest kids pics..

Cheers,:)Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

We always leave cash but have also brought Girl Scout Cookies. There is one called "Thanks A Lot" which is a shortbread cookie stamped with "thank you" in different languages and the bottom is dipped in chocolate. Girl Scouts changed the packaging a few years ago so the new packages do not travel as well but if we have extra room in the luggage we always brings a couple packages. Girl Scout cookies freeze very well by the way...

When I was in having a pedicure a little while ago there was also a lady next to me having one. She told the nail tech that next time she was going to bring in some baking instead of a tip. I wonder if she would like to be paid by her employer in baking:rolleyes:. Cash is king.