Speciality dinning

smj

We will be on a 10 day Marina in a lower level cabin. How many times will we be able to reserve speciality dinning?
You are entitled to one reservation in each of the four specialty restaurants. You would have to move up to one of the top suites (Owners, Vista or Oceania) to be entitled to more (2 each). However, you may be able to snag additional reservations once on board. There is a restaurant reservations desk just diagonally across the lobby from Reception where you can ask. Be prepared to be flexible. Some folks advocate booking the 4 to which you are entitled early in order to better your chances.

Frankly, on a 10 day cruise, 4 nights in specialty and perhaps 2 each in the Grand Dining Room and the Terrace sounds great to me.

Check each morning for the night you would like to dine in one of the restaurants ..be flexible with times & sharing ..you may get lucky ;)

Lyn

Sorry Don & I were typing at the same time ;)

Edited by LHT28

On other lines (Princess and HAL) we like to look at menu in MDR first then pick a specialty restaurant on days we don't like the menu as much. We have usually been able to get copies of the upcoming menus on board by second day. Is that a workable strategy on Oceania.

On other lines (Princess and HAL) we like to look at menu in MDR first then pick a specialty restaurant on days we don't like the menu as much. We have usually been able to get copies of the upcoming menus on board by second day. Is that a workable strategy on Oceania.

I have never tried to get menus for the whole cruise

WE usually book the specialty restaurants well in advance (they book up fast)

We see the GDR menu the night before & if we see something we cannot live without we would cancel the Specialty res for that night although it has not happened yet ;)

It may be more difficult to get Specialty reservations on short notice ..it can be done if you are flexible with dining times

Enjoy

Lyn

The GDR menu for the following day will be delivered the evening before. However, it is a tentative menu and there can be changes. I went to lunch in the GDR specifically for a certain dish and it wasn't there the next day! The chefs modify offerings especially when they can pick up something fresh and unusual in a port. The menu is always very broad however, and you won't be disappointed any day you choose to dine there.

We're in the cheap seats....is there a chance for a specialty restaurant reservation for a two top if we book when our category cabin first allows them? We usually don't start thinking about dinner until 8:30 - so a seating during the 7-7:30 rush isn't a big deal to us.

And, which restaurants seem to be most in demand on Marina?

We're in the cheap seats....is there a chance for a specialty restaurant reservation for a two top if we book when our category cabin first allows them? We usually don't start thinking about dinner until 8:30 - so a seating during the 7-7:30 rush isn't a big deal to us.

And, which restaurants seem to be most in demand on Marina?

You should be able to get at least some of your reservations with a two top.

I think that Red Ginger and Toscana are most popular.

Thanks Paul,

Related question - how difficult are the two tops to score in the GDR and Terrace, if one dines late?

Really....we're not anti-social, DH is just kind of shy.:)

They are much easier if you dine when they open - we are usually in line early to get one of them. They are popular.

After that it is pot luck depending on when others finish. Terrace is easier with faster turnover - but early bird gets the worm again :D

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks Paul,

Related question - how difficult are the two tops to score in the GDR and Terrace, if one dines late?

Really....we're not anti-social, DH is just kind of shy.:)

I find it varies by the make-up of the passenger on your cruise some like to dine early & other will wait till much later

We have gone early to the Terrace and can hardly find a table other times it wide open

You just never know ;)

The 2 tops in the GDR will be very close together making them seem like a 6top ;)

There are some 2 tops that are away from the other tables so if you really want to be alone ask for one of those

Enjoy

Lyn

I find it varies by the make-up of the passenger on your cruise some like to dine early & other will wait till much later

We have gone early to the Terrace and can hardly find a table other times it wide open

You just never know ;)

The 2 tops in the GDR will be very close together making them seem like a 6top ;)

There are some 2 tops that are away from the other tables so if you really want to be alone ask for one of those

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks Lyn!

Actually we really have enjoyed those "close 2 tops" on some other ships. Frequently because of natural conversation they become 4 tops (but not a forced 4 top). There is just enough space between, that there is personal space if couples want it, but many times natural friendly chatter begins, particularly on interesting itineraries.

They are much easier if you dine when they open - we are usually in line early to get one of them. They are popular.

After that it is pot luck depending on when others finish. Terrace is easier with faster turnover - but early bird gets the worm again :D

I dont agree..we usually eat between 7:30 and 8:00pm and there are always tables available for two..in fact the later you eat the more tables that are available..

Jancruz1

On our recent cruise, we tried to get extra reservations for the specialty restaurants and were never able to do so. Cruise was not full and we like to dine late so were very flexible with times and also willing to share.

We also stopped by when that was suggested by our concierge. No success whatsoever on any of the nights in any of the restaurants we wanted. We did not try Toscana as we did not enjoy it at all.

I dont agree..we usually eat between 7:30 and 8:00pm and there are always tables available for two..in fact the later you eat the more tables that are available..

Jancruz1

That may be but we prefer to dine early so I don't know about that. Seems like 7:30 would be too early for those that started at 6:30 to leave their table in one hour?

However, if you want one of those tables that are truly only for 2 against the aft windows (nice especially at sail away time), you'd better be at the head of the line - that I am certain of (they go first) :D

On our recent cruise, we tried to get extra reservations for the specialty restaurants and were never able to do so. Cruise was not full and we like to dine late so were very flexible with times and also willing to share.

We also stopped by when that was suggested by our concierge. No success whatsoever on any of the nights in any of the restaurants we wanted. We did not try Toscana as we did not enjoy it at all.

This too varies with each cruise. We have always scored extra reservations on 10+ cruises (mostly in veranda cabins).

Often people are asked at lunch time in Terrace if they would like to dine in one of the restaurants that is open that night. Ditto for people waiting in line to be seated in the MDR. Being in the right place at the right time, I guess :)

Caviargal,

We've never had a problem getting additional reservations when we wanted them -- but then, we tend not to want them! We're usually in a PH, as well, although occasionally we've been in higher suites. That really hasn't seemed to matter.

A lot does depend on how many of your fellow passengers want the specialty restaurants. I know people who refuse to dine in the GDR and others (like us) who don't really care that much for the specialty restaurants. These days we go at least once to the available restaurants, but we don't always try for more. In fact, usually we do not. There HAVE been cruises when we didn't use ANY of our available reservations. (We do have a fondness of Jacques on the O ships so we will try for extras there.)

Since your previous posts seem to indicate you have flexibility, I find your lack of luck even more surprising.

But here's one way ... I'm not necessarily recommending this as a procedure! We were dining in Polo with friends last year on Regatta and the staff was going out of its way to ask if everything was fine. The maitre d' came by. The waiter asked. The busboy asked! My husband finally had enough and complained (after about six such inquiries). Not only because of the constant questions, but because something hadn't been quite right with our dinner.

As a result the maitre d' called and gave us and our friends another reservation ... they went, we didn't. (They are a couple who absolutely refuse to eat in the GDR because they once had a true disaster of a meal. so they only do Terrace or the specialty restaurants.)

Mura

It was a not a big issue for us, just disappointing, since we were so flexible with times and table sizes.

We did not care for the Terrace Grille for dinner but the Grand Dining Room was good overall. We simply prefer smaller venues and lower lighting.:)

It was a not a big issue for us, just disappointing, since we were so flexible with times and table sizes.

We did not care for the Terrace Grille for dinner but the Grand Dining Room was good overall. We simply prefer smaller venues and lower lighting.:)

We've been on Cruises where it was tough getting extra reservations in a Vista Suite and others where the restaurant captains were trolling the lounges every afternoon looking for customers....

It all depends on what your fellow passengers are doing :o