Royal Caribeean or Carnival?

Bowlman67

Have take 6 cruises all but one on carnival. Looking at next summer for cruise and see several good options on royal Caribbean and would like some input on what I should expect. I have come to know what to expect on carnival so would like some feedback if will be the same or better or worse. Looking at vision of the seas sailing from ft Lauderdale.

In general I feel that an RC cruise is going to blow away a Carnival cruise in most areas.

BUT, By picking Vision you will be on a ship that is one of the oldest and smallest in the RC fleet. Not that it won't be a great cruise, but don't expect the latest bells and whistles.

After cruising several Carnival ships and one Princess, we were actually a bit disappointed in our first RCI cruise. But then we did the Allure and the world changed.

Just know that there will be slight differences for the good and the bad but many more similarities. No warm chocolate melting cake is the major let down. :(

We have been on 2 Carnival cruises and 2 RC. Overall we definitely prefer Carnival.

Food - maybe slightly better on RC but this is mainly the quality of the meat. As a non-meat eater I am very happy with both.

Ships - this is the main disadvantage of RC. There are not enough public seating areas and too many crowds. On Carnival you can usually walk in to any area of your choice and find a seat (in our experience anyway). We find that Carnival ships tend to have a better atmosphere and you feel like you are on a ship, while RC is like a floating hotel/corporate style.

Crew and entertainment - the "fun" element of Carnival wins it for us. RC may have fancy extras e.g. skating rinks and on-board surfing on some of the ships, but these only seem to be open at limited times. RC have really cut back on their activities - as have Carnival of course but there is still always something to do.

As I sit here I am trying to come up with an area where I feel Carnival exceeds Royal, and the best I can do is that Carnival seemed to have better desserts overall. Other than that Royal is better in every facet: service (by miles and miles), overall food quality (sorry, no "didja" section on the menu :rolleyes: ), entertainment, passenger-to-space ratios (Carnival feels like a cattle call with lines for everything), décor (no over-the-top, Liberace-threw-up-in-here design like on most Carnival ships) and on and on.

Have take 6 cruises all but one on carnival. Looking at next summer for cruise and see several good options on royal Caribbean and would like some input on what I should expect. I have come to know what to expect on carnival so would like some feedback if will be the same or better or worse. Looking at vision of the seas sailing from ft Lauderdale.

I think this thread would be good reading for you to help with your decision:

Just decide what you want, what you really want. Enjoy :)

As I sit here I am trying to come up with an area where I feel Carnival exceeds Royal, and the best I can do is that Carnival seemed to have better desserts overall. Other than that Royal is better in every facet: service (by miles and miles), overall food quality (sorry, no "didja" section on the menu :rolleyes: ), entertainment, passenger-to-space ratios (Carnival feels like a cattle call with lines for everything), décor (no over-the-top, Liberace-threw-up-in-here design like on most Carnival ships) and on and on.

Funny you posted this as I have NEVER waited in a line for anything more than 1 minute on Carnival ships, whereas on Royal Caribbean we had to wait in line for almost everything! There were crowds everywhere and it was quite stressful.

We thought Royal Caribbean desserts were better!

And Carnival entertainment was better! (all personal taste, of course)

The decor is sometimes a little over the top on Carnival ships, but it adds to the fun IMO.

Hey OP, I will be on Vision next week after her trans Atlantic voyage post-refit and am planning to wander the ship and take photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates and if the ship has a new feeling factor, but since it is a 2 night little getaway for sure I won't be able to experience all the ship has to offer. Stay tuned.

Generally, past experience tells me ship decor/classiness is much nicer on Royal; more entertainment going on than Carnival. I know all ages cruise both, but Carnival probably most is geared to the under 50 set and young families, Royal is a bit less "In your face X-Treme Fun!", but has a nice slightly upscale feel for all ages. My 2 cents

Edited by LMaxwell

We have been on 2 Carnival cruises and 2 RC. Overall we definitely prefer Carnival.

Ships - this is the main disadvantage of RC. There are not enough public seating areas and too many crowds. On Carnival you can usually walk in to any area of your choice and find a seat (in our experience anyway). We find that Carnival ships tend to have a better atmosphere and you feel like you are on a ship, while RC is like a floating hotel/corporate style.

Wow - there are a lot of areas where some cruisers will pick C over RC, but this usually isn't one of them. Either I've had really bad luck in picking C ships, or you should try some more of both to get a better comparison. I've found that the general concensous here on CC is that RC ships have a more nautical and airy décor, with better traffic flow and crowd control. Just saying.

Food - maybe slightly better on RC but this is mainly the quality of the meat. As a non-meat eater I am very happy with both.

Crew and entertainment - the "fun" element of Carnival wins it for us. RC may have fancy extras e.g. skating rinks and on-board surfing on some of the ships, but these only seem to be open at limited times. RC have really cut back on their activities - as have Carnival of course but there is still always something to do.

First cruise was carnival, the next 36 have been RCL.....You couldn't get me on a carnival ship if it was free.....K.O.

Welcome to royalty...(period)...and take it from me I have never been on a Carnivalship (except visiting my brother who worked on one)...so I am not biased...(LOL)

Edited by leinhto

OP which carnival ship are you considering that give me lots to tell you. I only recommend Dream, Magic and Breeze for Carnival if your considering any others go RC!! Much better quality/selection/variety in buffets in RC, overall service in RC is excellent where Carnival is a hit or miss...RC much better entertainment. If your considering one of the three Carnival ships they are all great the others I would not go on.

Edited by lyndamr

Interesting post. I know others have commented but need to add mine as well. For us the ships on Royal blow away anything we have ever been on with Carnival. Look at the passengers to space ratio and Royal is far superior in this area. When we sailed on Carnival we always felt like we were waiting on line for something. On Royal the only times we have had to wait we getting on/off the ship and when a show got out.

To the OP, try it yourself and see what your thoughts are. We did and we definitely enjoy Royal, however if there was an itinerary and price we liked we would also go back on Carnival again. The two are close but different, only you can tell what is important to you in your cruise vacation.

Wow - there are a lot of areas where some cruisers will pick C over RC, but this usually isn't one of them. Either I've had really bad luck in picking C ships, or you should try some more of both to get a better comparison. I've found that the general concensous here on CC is that RC ships have a more nautical and airy décor, with better traffic flow and crowd control. Just saying.

I guess we had really bad luck on our recent Adventure of the Seas cruise! We had:

- a line to get into the Windjammer on the first day (10 mins)

- a line for my son's first day at kids' club (20 mins), after which we were turned away as it was full :(

- a line for bingo (30 minutes, awful)

- no seating for ANY of the quizzes (nothing else to do so 100 people showed up in a tiny bar)

- shows at the theater were full unless you arrived 30 mins early

- I heard many people asking about the ice show on day 3 and being told there was no availability - what a shame they missed out

- long lines for Johnny Rockets

Compared to very insignificant/no lines or crowds on the Carnival Triumph and Legend, this was quite a disappointment

Wow, that doesnt say a whole lot for Carnivals meat quality :eek: I find the quality of beef on RCI is pretty bad. Their prime rib use to be good but I hear its has went downhill :( Their "included" steaks are shoe leather and their Chops meats are just ok.

At least Carnival serves USDA Prime cuts in their upcharge steakhouses.

I like them both, neither are perfect

I would rather be on either of them than sitting home in the middle of winter

Very good post!! I can not imagine any cruise line being so bad as some would like you to believe considering the amount of people these companies pack on a ship week after week. Thankfully-we have choices.

I choose itinerary. Royal has done right by me so far but would try another line for different destination options.

BTW Thetrail -I'd go on any cruise line if it was free. :)

I guess we had really bad luck on our recent Adventure of the Seas cruise! We had:

- a line to get into the Windjammer on the first day (10 mins)

- a line for my son's first day at kids' club (20 mins), after which we were turned away as it was full :(

- a line for bingo (30 minutes, awful)

- no seating for ANY of the quizzes (nothing else to do so 100 people showed up in a tiny bar)

- shows at the theater were full unless you arrived 30 mins early

- I heard many people asking about the ice show on day 3 and being told there was no availability - what a shame they missed out

- long lines for Johnny Rockets

Compared to very insignificant/no lines or crowds on the Carnival Triumph and Legend, this was quite a disappointment

Actually, I've experienced most of the lines that you list, it just seemed to me that things were even worse on C.

However, first day windjammer line - yes, always happens, but, after that no problem, where as on C I was always in a line at at buffet stations, as people drag those trays at a snail's pace.

Johnny Rockets? everytime I walk past one its empty.

BTW Thetrail -I'd go on any cruise line if it was free. :)

So would MANY others, ... even the ones who say 'no way, no how'!

Sure. ;)

Free is for me. As for the lines, you can get that on any ship with the wrong timing but I've never on any ship stood in line trying to get to the pool like we did on Carnival Destiny. It was a very poor design.

So would MANY others, ... even the ones who say 'no way, no how'!

Sure. ;)

I know for sure that I would! But Ive never said I wouldnt :)

Heck, Id even take a free cruise on the old Bahamas Celebration lol. :D

I sailed on at the time Carnivals oldest and crappiest ship in the fleet. Even one the diehard cheerleaders hated. LOVED that cruise!

There is just nothing that terrible that I seen about Carnival that would keep my off one of their ships. :)

Edited by ryano