Is it realistic to drive up to Haleakala in the time we have?

aussiedom

We are stopping at Lahaina on the Celebrity Solstice October 6 2014. I believe the ship is in port from around 8AM until 9:30PM.

My wife and I have been to Maui before but have never been up to Haleakala. So the plan is to rent a car and drive up to Haleakala while we are in port.

The limiting factor seems to be that the rental agencies tend to close at 4 or 5PM. I have a pretty good idea how long it will take to do the drive, but I've never been on a large cruiseship before. So I have no idea how long it is likely to take to get ashore once the ship arrives in Lahaina. If we get ashore quickly, the plan seems workable. If we did not get ashore until 10:30 or 11:00AM it might not work, given that the car has to be back by 5PM at the latest.

Does anyone know how long it typically would take to get ashore after we arrive at Lahaina?

Tendering into Lahaina is dependent upon how many ships are in port & weather conditions. Even if you don't begin driving to Haleakala until 1100 you should have enough time to go there & back before 5:00. As I recall it takes less than 2 hours from Lahaina.

One thing to consider is that most days after late morning the summit could be covered in clouds. We've hiked into the crater with clouds but it could be obscured from the crater's rim.

I'm surprised that there aren't any Lahaina rental locations open after 5:00. What would happen if you were delayed & arrived after that time?

The key to getting off your ship as soon as possible, is to be ready to go and in line at least 30 minutes prior to the posted time. If you have to get tickets- head to that area early as well. With morning arrivals there are always the sleep in people. Later the lines get longer and longer. They can not run a lot of tenders due to limited dock space.

You also may be able to do an after hours drop off, up to you to accept this or not, if available.

Even with turning the car in early, you have more than enough time for the drive.

Edited by Budget Queen

Many rental car locations that aren't open 24/7 have some sort of drop box for the keys and paperwork, where you record the mileage and the amount of gas remaining, etc. Obviously they verify it. And the car isn't inspected while you are still there, in terms of scratches or other damages.

Can you check if there is an "after hours" system like that where you will be renting the car?

Or better yet, is there any rental car agency that is open late?

GeezerCouple

We go to Maui every 2 years and the drive to get there may be about 1.5 to 2 hours and then the same back. It's awesome to see but a drive to get there partly because the road is windy. Meaning lots of curves just my opinion

Jamie

Consider Hertz for the car -- they are the only one actually in Lahaina. It's an easy walk if you happen to return after closing and use the key drop. They do run a shuttle to the pier with a reservation. They also shuttle back. :)

Most folks do Haleakela for the sunrise....you won't be there early enough for that. Is there another reason you want to go? If you do...take a coat...it's COLD up there!

There have always been lots of people at the summit during the daytime when we've gone - it's a very scenic drive up in daylight (and a little safer driving since you can see where you're going:)). Once up there, the views are incredible, and if you do the first 5-10 minutes of the Sliding Sands Trail (it starts at the summit visitor's centre) you'll be rewarded with even more incredible views. It's worth going up for sunrise, daytime or sunset.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and tips.

Cruzbuds, I was going to go with Hertz for exactly that reason - being in Lahaina itself. I called their location to ask them about after hours returns and so on. The staff member told me they are moving up to Kapalua, probably in January. They will be near the other rental agencies, close to the small Maui airport. So there is no longer any real advantage going with them. Their price was significantly higher as well.

I just made a reservation with Avis - they close at 5PM but when the cruiseships are in port they will have staff there later than that. Just can't get a shuttle ride back to town if you arrive after 4:30PM. They also seem to have a decent system where you call them from the tender and they send the shuttle for you.

We reserved a Mustang (always have before in Hawaii) but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the extra cost this time, what with all the comments about how cold it will be up on Haleakala! We'll have my wife's parents with us as well - might swap for a nice sedan or SUV between now and then...

Edited by aussiedom

too bad about Hertz moving -- it was a convenient secret :(

If you don't like your in-laws, get the Mustang - there is almost not legroom at all in the back seat.

In April we were the first customers of the day at Hertz -- while chatting with the friendly clerk, I joked about the first customer of the day getting to upgrade to the brand new Mercedes GL450 SUV that was sitting out front. She asked if I wanted it -- duh! She give it to us for the cost of the mid-size car we reserved $56 :)

We weren't even planning on driving to Haleakala, but since we had such an exception vehicle, it seemed like a good idea.

It was a great day!

It can be quite cold up on Haleakala and don't be surprised if you get up to the top and it is foggy and windy. Just stay around as the fog blows in and out. We have been rewarded with some very spectacular views. The crater is beautiful but wait until the fog blows. Remember that the crater is not the end of the road. There is a partially enclosed lookout just a little further up the road.

We have watched as others just drive off and miss everything. You may want to take your blue jeans to change into at the visitors center (entrance) and bring something for your ears.

Have fun:)

Here are a few shots from the top -- we had a beautiful day.

the top row on the far right is our $56 Mercedes rental :D

Great photos (and veh)! We had a day like that at the summit in April ... it's amazing when it's like that!

• 4 months later...

Thanks Cruzbuds - looking forward to the Haleakala drive. Unfortunately we wont be able to do the sunrise as our ship docks about 9AM at Lahaina.

Loved your pics. I will check out whether the GL class MB is still parked out the front and try and charm them into renting it to us ;-) Might be more suitable than a Mustang convertible, given the temps up there!

Thanks Cruzbuds - looking forward to the Haleakala drive. Unfortunately we wont be able to do the sunrise as our ship docks about 9AM at Lahaina.

Loved your pics. I will check out whether the GL class MB is still parked out the front and try and charm them into renting it to us ;-) Might be more suitable than a Mustang convertible, given the temps up there!

Good luck and have a great time!! Americans can be suckers for that Aussie accent ;)

Aloha!

We reserved a convertible, too....ended up with either a LOOOOONG wait for the "promised" convertible,

That reminds me that I do not have my 'Avis Preferred' membership linked to the reservation, as I was unable to get the best rate if I added it. Might have been handy to have it linked to Avis Preferred to ensure we get the car quickly once we dock at Lahaina.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as my experience at Miami International over Christmas, where Hertz not only did not have the Corvette I had rented (exact model supposedly guaranteed under the 'Adrenaline Collection') but actually had no car for us at all! I'd mostly had pretty good service renting in the USA until then...

Edited by aussiedom

Another fun way to do that trip is rent a Harley. The dealership is right across the street from the dock. Take warm clothes.

We have had bad luck renting a car in Lahaina because we always seem to wait 45 minutes or more for the rental car bus. We now pay about $12 for a taxi to car rental place. It saves a ton of time if you plan on a full day.

Burt

Always wanted to rent a Harley in Hawaii, but have never been able to make it work due to the size of our group. Will definitely try and do it next time it is just my wife and me.

The $12 cab fare - is that up to the rental car area near the little Maui airport - I think it is considered to be in Kapalua? Sounds like a good option if so...