Why black and white, why not colour

the english lady

Most of my evening wear is black anyway and I will wear a white accessory of some kind.

I think if you had a different colour theme - pink (?) very few would follow it. Whatever colour you chose would not suit some people or those larger ladies amongst us (me!) would not be able to find anything suitable. It was hard enough finding something to fit the red, white and blue theme night for 4th July on QM2!

Edited by Host Sharon

DH wears his Kilt on Black and white night as that is the only formal wear he has, his Jacket is Black and his Shirt White so when he is sitting at Dinner no one would know.

The colour (Green/blue) does stand out though as we wander the ship during the evening.

To abbafan, your dress certainly does not look boring, but stunning! Mind you, anything you wear would look good!

To the english lady, now we've had it explained, it makes more sense! However as I said, I don't have b & w evening wear out of choice & I certainly wouldn't buy a formal dress just for a cruise. So I guess I'll continue to be the odd one out... oh well :) As it happens, I had a black,white & grey skirt with me on my recent cruise that I wore with a black top to a smart jacket required dinner. But it wasn't appropriate for the formal night.

To anyone else wondering about the colour scheme, it clearly says in Horizon that it is a theme & NOT obligatory. So rebel if you want :D

To anyone else wondering about the colour scheme, it clearly says in Horizon that it is a theme & NOT obligatory. So rebel if you want

well it may say that but my experience is that 98% of people do go b/w...and the ones who don't are a very small minority..So yes rebel if one likes ,but know you will one of very very few.

The english lady,

Well I've got to add to this thread as I totally agree with you - why not colour :confused: Personally I don't buy b&w when looking for an evening/party dress/outfit intentionally, because almost all women wear it on these type of occasions & I think it's totally BORING. Plus I quite like to be different. So on the Canaries cruise on Azura I've just returned from, I took 2 outfits for the 3 black tie nights. (Neither b & w.)On the b&w one, I wore a pale turquoise dress I'd bought for a wedding last summer. I didn't notice anyone looking at me but I don't think I'd have cared if I had :p It did say in Horizon that it is a suggested theme, not compulsory.

But I admit that I did ask the question here on CC before packing about whether all women do stick to the colour theme. I have to report that most do, but I didnt see anyone collapsing in shock horror when I passed by :D

I reckon you & I should start a campaign to change the theme to a bright colour :)

I will join your campaign, I own many evening dresses none of which are either black or white because I look dreadful in black and white. I have never experienced anyone looking at me in horror on any of the 28 cruises that I have done.

I will join your campaign, I own many evening dresses none of which are either black or white because I look dreadful in black and white. I have never experienced anyone looking at me in horror on any of the 28 cruises that I have done.

The only dresses I own are either black or black and white, 5 in total, and they only come out for a cruise, I am most definitely not a dress person and only got them for formal nights, I live in trousers.

Most of my clothes are dark too, in fact I went shopping for my Azura cruise last month and actually got a few brighter tops, hubby has now banned me from buying anymore black lol so maybe I need a new bright dress for my next cruise :D

Josy1953,

Thanks for your support! But I have to say I only meant it as a joke about a campaign to change it from b&w night.

Rubydoobydoo,

Well said to your husband. No more black!

The english lady,

It was you who queried the b&w night in the first place & started this thread! But I don't mind being in a minority & I really don't think I frightened anyone, or got too many 'black looks' (pun intended) by wearing a bright dress on my recent cruise.

But while I'm here, I do think having a colour scheme would be easier on a casual or smart jacket evening, rather than a formal black tie night. It's got to be cheaper to buy an outfit for either of these types of evenings, so anyone who'd like to blend in could more easily buy something specifically for their cruise. Also they'd have more opportunity to wear it on other occasions after the cruise too!

So anyone with a cruise coming up, enjoy deciding what colours to wear :D

The only dresses I own are either black or black and white, 5 in total, and they only come out for a cruise, I am most definitely not a dress person and only got them for formal nights, I live in trousers.

Most of my clothes are dark too, in fact I went shopping for my Azura cruise last month and actually got a few brighter tops, hubby has now banned me from buying anymore black lol so maybe I need a new bright dress for my next cruise :D

Trousers can look just as good on formal nights - eg palazzo pants.

The english lady,

It was you who queried the b&w night in the first place & started this thread! But I don't mind being in a minority & I really don't think I frightened anyone, or got too many 'black looks' (pun intended) by wearing a bright dress on my recent cruise.

that is what I love about forums-it is soo easy to be misunderstood.

B/W night is usually stuck to by 98% of the ship. I just aksed if they made it royal blue/cadbury purple-wouldn't it be more colourful. As so many stick to B/W night those that don't do sort of stick out (like an exotic bird of paradise). As I am still looking for something I fancy in the b/bw/w dept, I just asked a question.

Scriv,

Like I said in my earlier reply I wear a black dress and just accessorise it with white, or black and white. For example, I have a black and white flower or a black and white necklace or a white wrap. I choose to wear one of these on the black and white night. I also sometimes wear black evening trousers with a fancy white top.

I agree with Essexlass that those not wearing black and white always look as if they're flouting the theme, which is probably not true in most cases.

I read the dress code for the cruise that I was on before I went and made a list of what I would wear on each formal. Unfortunately they changed the B & W night around and I hadn't read the Horizon. I wore a pale green dress and I didn't realise until I was looking at the photos the next night. I didn't notice anyone staring at me so I don't think it is as big an issue as we think it is. But I certainly wouldn't do it again.

I read the dress code for the cruise that I was on before I went and made a list of what I would wear on each formal. Unfortunately they changed the B & W night around and I hadn't read the Horizon. I wore a pale green dress and I didn't realise until I was looking at the photos the next night. I didn't notice anyone staring at me so I don't think it is as big an issue as we think it is. But I certainly wouldn't do it again.

It is only a suggested theme evening anyway and is not 'compulsory'.

Thanks to all the people who've explained why it is black & white & not a different colour scheme. It's interesting to know. Apart from those reasons, it would need to be a colour that men could easily wear, & as the b & w night always seems to be on a formal black tie evening on P & O, that doesn't leave much choice as far as the men are concerned!

So I think I'll leave this discussion here, thanks again for the explanations :)

PS I do love the exotic bird of paradise comment by the english lady - I'd love to feel like I looked like one of those in my turquoise beaded dress. However my body shape lets me down... :mad:

English Lady: might I suggest you try looking at Roman Originals? They have various stores dotted around the country, but also a very good web site from which you can order. They usually have a very nice selection of reasonably priced evening dresses, trousers and tops, which usually includes a couple of black and white dresses, in larger sizes.

I have ordered several items from them and found them to be very well made and finished for the price, the delivery service is excellent. Only downside of mail order is returns are not free. I got a black and white dress from them for our cruise this summer - it looked like it cost at least twice the price and I received several compliments. Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes there will always be a B/W night on cruises over 7 nights (I think) info found here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Thank you so much for this link. I have been trying to find this info, but clearly looking in all the wrong places. Can get organised more now. I thought that 31st Dec (NYE) would be the Black&White ball, rather than the 1st, as it was on previous cruises. Never mind, it will still be wonderful.

Diane xx

My goodness never expected this thread I started to still be going !!!!

I am still looking for something in the b/w line..I have colourful outfits for the other formals, so like to merge in with the crowd on b/w (even if b/w is boring).

Ebay is my Bessie friend at the moment as I am not going to pay 100's to merge.....

Will you know me when I cruise, no cos I will have merged one way or the other...