Getting enough Ice?

TrinaLC

We have often taken our ice bucket down if we need extra.

Not everyone has the interest, or ability, to take their ice bucket down to a lounge or the Lido. If you do, fine for you, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't ask their stewards for ice when it's needed.

Just so long as you don't mean "down" to the stewards' station. Passengers do not belong in there ever.

Very true!

The only tong I use has five fingers attached to my right hand. Always start with clean hands and leave a wash cloth on top of the ice bucket to dry my hands. I just ask the cabin steward to leave the cloth there. I'll change it when necessary.

We regularly pre- tip at the beginning, on the very first day, when i give our steward a short written list of simple requests. Our needs are met, and we tip more at the end, as well. We leave the HSC in place. It works for us, i consider it an early tip for little things that make our trip just right.

Have you ever not pre-tipped to determine if there is a diminution of service as compared to when you do pre-tip? I would suspect not.

DON

Not everyone has the interest, or ability, to take their ice bucket down to a lounge or the Lido. If you do, fine for you, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't ask their stewards for ice when it's needed.

Just so long as you don't mean "down" to the stewards' station. Passengers do not belong in there ever.

It grosses me out thinking of pax going into that area. I can imagine how many germy hands go in there. I think it s/b locked because many people are pigs and don't have any idea what soap and water are used for:rolleyes:.

the cabin stewards usually eat their dinner between 4 and 5 so they are not available to get the ice. I try to find where the closest ice machine is so I can refill my bucket. There's a big scoop to use to fill the bucket so I don't touch the ice.

Edited by SeaBands

We just returned from a 17-day cruise on the Zaandam and our ice bucket was filled morning and evening, which in some ways was a waste of ice, since we did not always use it. There is really no "perfect solution" to the "ice issue"--maybe an insulated ice bucket, so the ice lasts longer. JMO. Cheers--hmh:)

I must be misunderstanding but you put salt in your ice? :confused:

How do you keep from having salt in your beverages if the ice has been salted? That sounds awful..... to me.

It also seems counter-intuitive. Here in the Northeast - snow country - we put salt on roads to melt ice. (Well, they used to put down salt but now use more environmentally friendly products which work like salt. Salt melts ice; it doesn't preserve it.

It's used to keep cans and bottles cold. You don't drink the salted ice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:duh.

Nope, always the buffet or bar - fully aware that some people have mobility issues and rely on their steward - so as we're able bodied it's not an issue for us and frees the crew to help them:)

We never need ice in the morning as we're out and about. But by the time we return to our room at night the ice left early evening has usually melted - that's when we need it.

It's used to keep cans and bottles cold. You don't drink the salted ice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:duh.

Duh... Really? Seriously?

I never saw anyone in this thread mention bottles or cans.

Have you seen the size of those ice buckets? How many bottles or cans do you suppose they hold? If you put more than one can of diet coke in that bucket, they'll be little room for salted or unsalted ice.

Where did I miss the mention of bottles or cans?

I have in mind the person who orders bottles of vodka or scotch etc and wants to make their cocktail.

Edited by sail7seas

What's so difficult about getting your own ice when you need extra? Don't the crew have enough to do without having double "ice duty".

Most cruise lines that I have sailed on, usually fill the ice bucket in the morning when they make up the room, and then replenish it in the evening when they turn down the room. When I do need extra ice during a sea day or some other reason, I usually call room service for that. I would not feel comfortable going into a crew area looking for an ice machine. As far as filling it in the buffet area most cruise lines will ask that you not do that because of the contamination risk to others. Kind of Like filling those big insulated coffee mugs directly from the coffee machine, not very sanitary.

the cabin stewards usually eat their dinner between 4 and 5 so they are not available to get the ice. I try to find where the closest ice machine is so I can refill my bucket. There's a big scoop to use to fill the bucket so I don't touch the ice.

But you do touch the scoop, leaving your germs, and picking up the germs others have left. :rolleyes:

But you do touch the scoop, leaving your germs, and picking up the germs others have left. :rolleyes:

So you think when you stop one of the staff from making someones bed to get you ice they go and wash their hands first? Don't think so.

Germs are a fact of life. Your body, unless otherwise compromised, has natural defenses that will attempt to fight off harmful germs. You can't live your life in a bubble (unless that's your thing).

I see a business opportunity, soon the cruise lines can begin selling ice packages, with concierge ice service. There can be different levels of service, frequency of ice delivery and cost, and possibly a card, at the lowest level. Different bucket sizes and appearances will be marketed as part of the service. A 15% gratuity will be added.

I see a business opportunity, soon the cruise lines can begin selling ice packages, with concierge ice service. There can be different levels of service, frequency of ice delivery and cost, and possibly a card, at the lowest level. Different bucket sizes and appearances will be marketed as part of the service. A 15% gratuity will be added.

Love it:D:D!!

We, too, use a soft sided small portable cooler, but we put the ice bucket full of ice into the cooler and close it. We have found this extends the life of the ice we get in the morning. we also ask our stewed on embarkation day to keep the ice full when possible and tip a bit extra up front which we have found to have a positive effect.

I must be misunderstanding but you put salt in your ice? :confused:

How do you keep from having salt in your beverages if the ice has been salted? That sounds awful..... to me.

It also seems counter-intuitive. Here in the Northeast - snow country - we put salt on roads to melt ice. (Well, they used to put down salt but now use more environmentally friendly products which work like salt. Salt melts ice; it doesn't preserve it.

I put in salt, yes. But I always put my drink in the bucket, so I don't get any ice in my drinks. We use salt to melt snow and ice as well, but it has something to do with the different temperatures of the ice cubes, and the ice on the road. I've read this on a very helpful website. I don't got it atm, but you might want to google it.

You are joking? Salt melts ice - we put it on our steps and paths.:D

We also put salt on our sidewalks and roads to melt ice. However, once the temperature drops to -10 or so, salt becomes ineffective in melting the ice. I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with salt speeding up a process at a certain temperature. There is a point where it speeds up the thawing process but at a certain drop in temperature it increases the freezing process. To melt ice, or improve traction on it, salt becomes ineffective and sand or chemical has to be used. Not sure scientifically what happens in an ice bucket though.

Edited by Pearlbill
spelling

So you think when you stop one of the staff from making someones bed to get you ice they go and wash their hands first? Don't think so.

Germs are a fact of life. Your body, unless otherwise compromised, has natural defenses that will attempt to fight off harmful germs. You can't live your life in a bubble (unless that's your thing).

Well stated! :)

You don't have to bribe your stewards to get good service and of course it is a bribe. Just tell them what your needs are and they will accommodate you. We've never had trouble getting ice as we wish it and they are very accustomed to pax wanting their ice buckets kept full. A tip at the end of the cruise is always appreciated.

It never hurts to grease the palms of the staff if you want extra service.