Getting enough Ice?

TrinaLC

We like having ice all day long -- this is one of the most frustrating (1st world!) experiences, whether on NCL, Carnival, whether in a suite or not.

First HAL trip - Eurodam - Neptune suite.

Can we at least get ice to bring back to the suite from the concierge lounge?

How often will the steward deliver ice?

Any self service ice stations?

We like having ice all day long -- this is one of the most frustrating (1st world!) experiences, whether on NCL, Carnival, whether in a suite or not.

First HAL trip - Eurodam - Neptune suite.

Can we at least get ice to bring back to the suite from the concierge lounge?

How often will the steward deliver ice?

Any self service ice stations?

There is no ice machine in Neptune Lounge.

You will get ice from your cabin steward or room service.

Some people help themselves from the stewards' service station if it isn't locked but they really discourage that.

Our stewards asked when we wanted ice - if they don't tell them when you do.

We got Ice at 4 pm, and after turn down service. I find the ice melts fast so if you do want to keep a bottle of wine cool, it's tough if you don't refresh;)

Ideally, it should be a non issue - however, if you have unexpected get togethers, whatever, I just took my ice bucket to the Crow's Nest on the P'dam (down the hall) and asked them to replenish it. Whichever bar is closest will help in a jiffy. Alternatively you can call room service.

edited to say - while there is no ice in the Neptune Lounge - there is a ready spot in most and the concierge can get someone to get if for you quite quickly on most ships :)

Edited by kazu

Have had problems getting enough ice on Carnival, but not the one HAL cruise we took so far. My DH gave the steward and his asst. each $20 at the beginning of the cruise, asked them to make sure there was a full bucket of ice at all times in the cabin. Never had a problem....that worked like a charm. Even when he was on break, another steward knocked at the door and brought ice. He/they must have shared the tip!:) Now as to the size of the ice chips/cubes, there is no cure for that.

I hate to think you need to resort to bribery to make sure you get the amount of ice that you like, but it seemed to work, so I don't try to find fault with what DH did.

Oh, and PS, we also tipped them extra at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

........I hate to think you need to resort to bribery to make sure you get the amount of ice that you like, but it seemed to work, so I don't try to find fault with what DH did.

Oh, and PS, we also tipped them extra at the end of the cruise.

You don't have to bribe your stewards to get good service and of course it is a bribe. Just tell them what your needs are and they will accommodate you. We've never had trouble getting ice as we wish it and they are very accustomed to pax wanting their ice buckets kept full. A tip at the end of the cruise is always appreciated.

You don't have to bribe your stewards to get good service and of course it is a bribe. Just tell them what your needs are and they will accommodate you. We've never had trouble getting ice as we wish it and they are very accustomed to pax wanting their ice buckets kept full. A tip at the end of the cruise is always appreciated.

I've never "bribed" my stewards either but I've also had mediocre service too even after letting them know what I want. My needs aren't huge. I just like getting my room cleaner earlier. That's all I ask. Most times that is more then I get and I'm consistently out of my room by 8:15am. I think you are very lucky or don't cruise a lot. My stewards on the last cruise got a large tip at the end because my room was done 14 out of 15 days by the time I came back from breakfast on my last cruise.

Edited by lorekauf

We regularly pre- tip at the beginning, on the very first day, when i give our steward a short written list of simple requests. Our needs are met, and we tip more at the end, as well. We leave the HSC in place. It works for us, i consider it an early tip for little things that make our trip just right.

We don't pre-pay our stewards for service. The really good ones will be insulted and ask you to reward them after they've had a chance to earn it.

We never used the small ice buckets provided and carry a cooler like this to use as our ice bucket -- we've never had any trouble having the steward keep it full on any of the lines we've sailed.

We carry the solid plastic liner -- we had one that leaked once. (I realized it's it's hard to tell the size -- it's commonly called a 6 pack cooler)

Blank-6-Pack-Cooler-Red.jpg

Edited by CRUZBUDS

We, too, have experienced frustration around the ice issue. We always let our steward know we would like ice in our cabin between 4:30 and 5 p.m. each afternoon. It almost never happens, and we can never even find the steward. We end up calling room service, and then it's another half hour before we have ice, if at all. Oh well, I guess once the new wine policy goes into effect, the need for afternoon ice in the cabin will diminish anyway :rolleyes:.

What I always do, is put in some salt in the ice bucket. It helps slowing down the melting by quite some time. And if you need more, just ask ;-)

I must be misunderstanding but you put salt in your ice? :confused:

How do you keep from having salt in your beverages if the ice has been salted? That sounds awful..... to me.

It also seems counter-intuitive. Here in the Northeast - snow country - we put salt on roads to melt ice. (Well, they used to put down salt but now use more environmentally friendly products which work like salt. Salt melts ice; it doesn't preserve it.

Edited by sail7seas

We also ask for a wine bucket to keep wine chilled and they fill it at the same time as the puny :( ice bucket. That gives you a bit extra. I also like the idea of the collapsible insulated cooler. Next time...:D We also ask for fresh ice at 5PM as standard and, generally, they take care of it.

If you need more ice than one ice bucket will hold, you can ask that you have two buckets when the cabin is serviced.

I like the ice water from the bucket hours later, when I need to take meds. One time the cabin was so hot that the ice totally melted quickly, and the water was warm by the time I needed it. I happened to have a fridge in that cabin, so I put the fresh ice bucket in there. It kept very well. :D

So, my suggestion is, if you want to use the ice in drinks, then put the bucket of fresh ice in your fridge.

I must be misunderstanding but you put salt in your ice? :confused:

How do you keep from having salt in your beverages if the ice has been salted? That sounds awful..... to me.

It also seems counter-intuitive. Here in the Northeast - snow country - we put salt on roads to melt ice. (Well, they used to put down salt but now use more environmentally friendly products which work like salt. Salt melts ice; it doesn't preserve it.

Very counter-intuitive, and I had exactly the same reaction. Some quick checking found the headhunterke is quite correct. Here's a link to a site that explains it in layman's term, so even I could understand :D

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/why-salt-cools-icewater.shtml

What's so difficult about getting your own ice when you need extra? Don't the crew have enough to do without having double "ice duty".

Where do you suggest people go to get their own ice? They have no business going in the stewards' closet, as that could be a source of passing along noro and other viruses if others do it.

They can carry their ice bucket to a lounge and ask the bartender to take time from his work to fill it, I suppose, but that would add to what he has to do, wouldn't it. Or, they can carry their ice bucket to the Lido and fill it there. Depending on how far from the Lido their cabin is, yes, that may be "so difficult".

Let the crew do their job, which includes servicing the cabins twice a day. If you want ice more often than that, just remember to thank ;) your steward.

What's so difficult about getting your own ice when you need extra? Don't the crew have enough to do without having double "ice duty".

I'd suggest that providing passengers with the ice they request is simply a part of the crew's duties, not an unwarranted imposition on their time. If HAL believed that passengers should get it themselves, they would put ice-machines for passengers.

Where do you suggest people go to get their own ice? They have no business going in the stewards' closet, as that could be a source of passing along noro and other viruses if others do it.

They can carry their ice bucket to a lounge and ask the bartender to take time from his work to fill it, I suppose, but that would add to what he has to do, wouldn't it. Or, they can carry their ice bucket to the Lido and fill it there. Depending on how far from the Lido their cabin is, yes, that may be "so difficult".

Let the crew do their job, which includes servicing the cabins twice a day. If you want ice more often than that, just remember to thank ;) your steward.

We have often taken our ice bucket down if we need extra. We've also brought some back with us at the end of the evening in glasses, courtesy of bar staff:)