New menus

marylizcat

We like the Sailaways on P&O UK, in our opinion the best of any cruise line we have travelled with. As somebody said, if you don't like it, don't go aft.

Rule Britannia (yes they sing that at the Sailaways.)

I had missed this post. I think there will be a lot of wastage of cheese. I very rarely order a sweet but do enjoy some cheese after the meal. There are only a few cheeses that I ask for and if these are not on the board then I have the always available Stilton.

If I order cheeses and it has only cheddar, Red Leicester, or smoked cheese it will go back untouched. I do hope they still have the port marinated Stilton on some formal nights.

Sue

Yes, I agree. It will obviously be quicker for them to serve. I imagine with all these changes, the waiters will have to serve more tables, as it is obviously all down to speeding up service. Pre-plated main courses and pre-plated cheese. More speed and more waste!

I also hope they still have the port stilton. Lovely stuff! But somehow I fear the worst!

Some of the Sailaways on this years Aurora world cruise were dire. 1st World War songs? I know the average age on board was fairly old, but please!! Having said that there were some great ones too. YMCA in Japanese, magic :)

I was on Ventura in October and had steak in the mdr twice, medium rare, nice and tasty :)

there was a selection of cheeses every day in the buffet as well.

I don't think you can have a steak every day as an alternative. That is now either salmon or chicken?

It is puzzling why some people say the food on a particular ship is awful. The menus are the same across the fleet and the food is sourced centrally so the only difference can be how they cook it. Given a corporate desire to have a consistant standard on all ships any dodgy chefs etc would soon be leaving the ship!. Remember, it is mass catering we are talking about here, not gourmet dining.

Remember, it is mass catering we are talking about here, not gourmet dining.

That is exactly what is it, it reminds me of a wedding reception or another large event, but other lines do the mass catering far better in my opinion so why can't P and O, it comes down to the quality of the food and the menu not necessarily the way it is cooked, the chefs are working to a budget per meal and I don't think that budget is high enough

That is exactly what is it, it reminds me of a wedding reception or another large event, but other lines do the mass catering far better in my opinion so why can't P and O, it comes down to the quality of the food and the menu not necessarily the way it is cooked, the chefs are working to a budget per meal and I don't think that budget is high enough

I have this feeling that increasing the budget per meal by £1 per person would significantly increase the food quality and variety. On a 3000 passenger ship that is over £12000 extra budget. On the other hand they keep the mdr cost and quality down to 'encourage' people to use the pay restaurants. You can be sure the cost of the pay restaurant is not spent on the food.

I have this feeling that increasing the budget per meal by £1 per person would significantly increase the food quality and variety. On a 3000 passenger ship that is over £12000 extra budget. On the other hand they keep the mdr cost and quality down to 'encourage' people to use the pay restaurants. You can be sure the cost of the pay restaurant is not spent on the food.

So if every passenger donates an additional £1 per day in auto tips to the big P&O Wage Subsidy Fund, then they could channel that money into the Catering budget, then the silver service and ye olde cheese board could return.

What a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On Arcadia WC last year a dessert named ETON MESS was on the menu, is that still around on the new menus? I had never heard of that dish before Arcadia.

It's quite popular in many chain restaurants these days. I rather like it!

Stuart

Eton Mess - it's a very popular dish, especially in the summer - and what's more, made properly it's scrumptious!

Thanks, nice indeed and should be gluten free for us Coeliacs. It is made from Merangues, Yoghurt, Strawberries and Cream, I think, no wheat flour anyway.

Originating from Eton College Dining Hall?

Edited by NSWP

Must admit we have only been on P&O once and loved the Silver Service and the Cheese Board. We are returning to the Oceana this April to recapture the best food experience we have ever had on a ship. It is sad to read that what made it special for us (some of the things) are no longer there ...........

:(