Is There a Polite Way to Say This?

Lokip53

I grew up with dirt and germs!!! Like most of is who grew up in the 60's we were exposed to most germs and came across dirt in our everyday lives. As children we played outside in the dirt, we shared licks of ice cream and drank out of the same bottle with no straws.

I was brought up to was my hands with soap and water before I eat and after a visit to the restroom. I hardly ever get a cold or infection and I do not use hand sanatizer other than on the ship and I don't re clean my cabin before we use it. I think safely today we have become our own enemy when it comes to bacteria. We all need a bit of dirt to keep us healthy. IMO

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As I've mentioned in other recent posts, I'm a generally happy, roll with the punches, glass is half full kind of guy.

But there was one thing on our last few cruises that was really driving me crazy (and I saw it numerous times on my cruise last week)-- the seemingly complete ignorance by a small but noticeable percentage of cruise passengers of the fact that it's not acceptable to shove your hands in your mouth and/or lick your fingers immediately before grabbing a serving utensil in the Windjammer.

Seriously people?? Are you THAT hungry that you just had to jam that pastry/ piece of bacon/etc in your mouth? Are you going to run out of energy during the 30 foot walk to your table?

And are you so rushed that you couldn't unfold the green cloth napkin that is IN YOUR HAND as opposed to engaging in an oral act with your finger that would get you an NC-17 rating if it were filmed??

It absolutely blows my mind. It's amazing that there aren't more illness outbreaks on cruise ships.

That's all. Just a little conversation starter/venting session.

I feel better already... :)

Agree with you as I have been witness to it also, and it is disgusting .... But they could be the same people that do not wash their hands after their restroom duties!

I grew up with dirt and germs!!! Like most of is who grew up in the 60's we were exposed to most germs and came across dirt in our everyday lives. As children we played outside in the dirt, we shared licks of ice cream and drank out of the same bottle with no straws.

I was brought up to was my hands with soap and water before I eat and after a visit to the restroom. I hardly ever get a cold or infection and I do not use hand sanatizer other than on the ship and I don't re clean my cabin before we use it. I think safely today we have become our own enemy when it comes to bacteria. We all need a bit of dirt to keep us healthy. IMO

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The first part is true. But we now live in a world of super germs. The behaviors mentioned in proceeding posts are no excuse so that we can all get our dose of someone else's germs.

On my last HAL cruise, there was no self serve for the first three days.

As I've mentioned in other recent posts, I'm a generally happy, roll with the punches, glass is half full kind of guy.

But there was one thing on our last few cruises that was really driving me crazy (and I saw it numerous times on my cruise last week)-- the seemingly complete ignorance by a small but noticeable percentage of cruise passengers of the fact that it's not acceptable to shove your hands in your mouth and/or lick your fingers immediately before grabbing a serving utensil in the Windjammer.

Seriously people?? Are you THAT hungry that you just had to jam that pastry/ piece of bacon/etc in your mouth? Are you going to run out of energy during the 30 foot walk to your table?

And are you so rushed that you couldn't unfold the green cloth napkin that is IN YOUR HAND as opposed to engaging in an oral act with your finger that would get you an NC-17 rating if it were filmed??

It absolutely blows my mind. It's amazing that there aren't more illness outbreaks on cruise ships.

Sounds like someone needs a hug !!! Washy Washy

While I do not appreciate the unsanitary habits of others, I do not let them overwhelm my own sense of well-being.

Obsessing over these things is, in my view, ridiculous and pointless.

Picking up salt & pepper shakers with a napkin?

Seriously?

/quote]

Ridiculous and pointless? Really pointless?

They were found to contain pneumonia virus as well as many others. They were the most contaminated in the restaurant study. You do what you want, I'll take the minor precautions. Not all of us are as lucky as you to have perfect immune systems.

Edited by cruzincurt

The first part is true. But we now live in a world of super germs. The behaviors mentioned in proceeding posts are no excuse so that we can all get our dose of someone else's germs.

On my last HAL cruise, there was no self serve for the first three days.

And there is debate among scientists that we have so called super bugs because of overuse of antibacterial soaps and sanitizers. People even just 25 years ago managed to survive without the obsessive use of hand sanitizer. Yes we want to avoid germs whenever possible. No I won't use something I saw someone that just licked their fingers touched. But I won't go to the extreme that people on this post do such as cleaning their entire cabin again or picking up salt shakers with a napkin. You don't want to get sick? It's real simple. Wash your hands often and never touch your face. As touching your face is one of the main ways germs get into your body.

Yes I am one of those!

Polite or not just tell me if it makes you feel better and I can help you to have a better vacation.;) I would just smile at you and depending on my mood tell you to mind your Business, but I´d not change my behaviour just to suit you.

Having said this - yes I´m one of those coming to the buffet with clean hands and refusing the use of hand sanitizer. If they force the sanitizer on my hand I will have a tissue ready to wipe it off immediately before it further spreads on my Hands.

I will use the thongs at the buffet, but yes I will occasionally pick up something like a roll with my bare Hands if it´s possible to do so without touching anything else.

I will also pick up something like a French fry from my plate and eat it while still in line. Would I survive without doing this? Sure, but where´s the fun:cool:.

I chose to let my immune system handle all this for me and thus far it has not really failed. I´ve never had Noro (knock on Wood) despite having been on quite a few ships with outbreaks as well as I´m exposed to quite a few outbreaks at my work place.

BTW I never get the flu shot either and never got the flu.

I´m not trying to Change any of your behaviour, as I know I can´t, just as nothing you will say could Change any of mine. :cool:

This thread reminds me of a joke I heard while on vacation in Las Vegas.

A couple while on their honeymoon decided to splurge and go to the fanciest restuarant in town. Known for its impecable service.

As they entered they were lead to a corner table and sat down.

Their waiter took their disposable menus out of a sealed wrap and handed them to the couple.

They placed their orders.

Then the silver ware arrived from a metal container that came fresh from the sterilizer.

As time moved on, their rolls were placed on their plates by the waiter using tongs.

Their entres were place on the table by gloved personal trained specifically to use the tongs.

Nothing absolutely nothing was touched by the waiter.

The meal was ending, and the couple were getting ready to leave, but before doing so, the man decided to use the restroom. . . .after doing his thing and washing his hands he sees his waiter finishing up and before he zips up he gets his tongs and places the "item" back in his pants.

Moral of story.....

You do not even know where the tongs have been.

So one really never knows where anything has been.

I can only hope they clean up with towels that did not touch the floor, before they wipe the tongs and they get clean ones from a clean bin, not just rotate them.

Sea Ya

This thread reminds me of a joke I heard while on vacation in Las Vegas.

A couple while on their honeymoon decided to splurge and go to the fanciest restuarant in town. Known for its impecable service.

As they entered they were lead to a corner table and sat down.

Their waiter took their disposable menus out of a sealed wrap and handed them to the couple.

They placed their orders.

Then the silver ware arrived from a metal container that came fresh from the sterilizer.

As time moved on, their rolls were placed on their plates by the waiter using tongs.

Their entres were place on the table by gloved personal trained specifically to use the tongs.

Nothing absolutely nothing was touched by the waiter.

The meal was ending, and the couple were getting ready to leave, but before doing so, the man decided to use the restroom. . . .after doing his thing and washing his hands he sees his waiter finishing up and before he zips up he gets his tongs and places the "item" back in his pants.

Moral of story.....

You do not even know where the tongs have been.

So one really never knows where anything has been.

I can only hope they clean up with towels that did not touch the floor, before they wipe the tongs and they get clean ones from a clean bin, not just rotate them.

Sea Ya

I always have to smile about the stories People tell about wiping down their cabins when entering for the first time.

Well they don´t trust the cabin attendants having cleaned the cabin thoroughly during turn over - fair enough and I don´t blame them, as I´ve found stuff from previous occupants in drawers before.

However how do they trust the same Person not to wipe light Switches, door handles, remote, telephone, etc. twice a day with the same rug they cleaned the toilets in the cabins next to them;):eek:

If you wipe down your cabin you better do this twice a day, each time after the cabin attendant served your room.

And I agree,,I think they are just pigs who can't get the food in their mouth fast enough,,must have been raised in a barn....

Mostly when the tables are given a quick wipe down it is to get rid of obvious soilage. It does nothing to really clean them. What we have started doing, which I learned from someone who we shared a Windjammer table with many years ago, is to take the green napkins and use them as a place mat or small table cloth. Nothing we use for containing our food or utensils actually touch the table.

That's what I do.

Picking up salt & pepper shakers with a napkin?

Seriously?

I have tried to do this, but the napkins are too slippery. Now that I think of it, that was at a restaurant where they had the grinder type of s&p. But I do try to not touch the table, s&p, or menus too much, no matter where I am. I have walked out of many places that didn't seem clean enough in the main dining areas. It just takes away my appetite.

Edited by marci22

The last time I was on the EOS at lunch on the island I was using tongs to get a cookie when some lady just reached in with her hands and grabbed two. I couldn't help but I said " what a pig, that's why they put tongs here!". She heard me, don't know if she cared.

:cool:

The last time I was on the EOS at lunch on the island I was using tongs to get a cookie when some lady just reached in with her hands and grabbed two. I couldn't help but I said " what a pig, that's why they put tongs here!". She heard me, don't know if she cared.

:cool:

We saw this with a slice of pizza in the wipeout cafe. A teenaged boy just grabbed a slice and walked out the door. He had no plate, budded into the line and most likely didn't use hand sanitizer on the way in either. Needless to say I didn't get pizza.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I use my utensils to eat everything in the windjammer. I can go a week without eating a roll or a piece of bread. I just dont touch any of my food with my hands. And I try not to touch my face.

I read an article that stated that the chairs are the most laden with germs in a restuarant.

Good eating everyone!

We saw this with a slice of pizza in the wipeout cafe. A teenaged boy just grabbed a slice and walked out the door. He had no plate, budded into the line and most likely didn't use hand sanitizer on the way in either. Needless to say I didn't get pizza.

I remember on one cruise waiting in line at the cutting station for a roast when a passenger reached underneath the plexiglass and stuck his finger into the section of beef he wanted the server to cut for him.

I did not have roast that day in the Breakwinder Cafe.

I use my utensils to eat everything in the windjammer. I can go a week without eating a roll or a piece of bread. I just dont touch any of my food with my hands. And I try not to touch my face.

I read an article that stated that the chairs are the most laden with germs in a restuarant.

Good eating everyone!

That's why I stand everywhere I go. Sure, I get funny looks on the airplane and in the MDR around dinner time...but I'm healthy. ;)

Yes I am one of those!

Polite or not just tell me if it makes you feel better and I can help you to have a better vacation.;) I would just smile at you and depending on my mood tell you to mind your Business, but I´d not change my behaviour just to suit you.

And therein lies the issue, Paul-- when you slop saliva on your hands and then handle the utensils that I have to touch, it becomes my business.

Fortunately, you only represent a small minority of rude cruisers with disgusting habits.

Keep on keeping it classy, buddy!!