"LIVE" - Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal 12 November 2013

PCWalton1

We originally had an aft balcony booked but for cost restraints (the balcony was $6,169 we opted for an inside and ended up at $2353 total) switched to an inside and it worked well for us. I knew on canal day I was going to be all over the ship anyway. For at sea days there is not the crush of people on the pool deck as we have seen on other cruises (maybe the clientele) so we had a nice table in the shade to ourselves for most of the day.

A different perspective that at least worked for us. Just to let you know if the balcony makes it cost prohibitive there are options. :)

Course if Royal had decided to upgrade us to one of those aft balconies we certainly would not have turned them down. :D

It's great how you answer my questions before I ask them. I was wondering how they would justify being 1 lifeboat short.

Enjoy your last day tomorrow.

Many thanks for all your efforts, the ideas you've given us and the conversations you've inspired. You've made the last 2 weeks very exciting.

Although if they only had 1700 or so onboard as reported, that wasn't a full ship; so now I wonder why they had to offload crew?

I am doing the west to east transit. Do all of you think your methods would work in this direction as well?

Thanks for any replies.

Sure! I might want to be on an upper, public deck for going under the Centennial Bridge before going back to my balcony, but, other than that, do one set from your balcony and one set of locks roaming around.

Although if they only had 1700 or so onboard as reported, that wasn't a full ship; so now I wonder why they had to offload crew?

The off load was an initial plan that they announced but later in the evening they announced that they had approval to keep everyone on board. I think they have to have an overcapacity of lifeboats space and losing one affected that.

So Karen, you spent the whole transit on your balcony w/the TV? You didn't go to higher/lower "ground"?

I am doing the west to east transit. Do all of you think your methods would work in this direction as well?

Thanks for any replies.

Since we have been through the canal 10+ times, we didn't feel the need to go anywhere else. If I were still taking a lot of photos, I would have made more of an effort. It's especially fun to be on the Promenade Deck during the raising and lowering of the ships in the locks.

We enjoyed kicking back and not being part of the crush of people forward.:D. It doesn't matter which direction you go, for the same viewing spots.

The off load was an initial plan that they announced but later in the evening they announced that they had approval to keep everyone on board. I think they have to have an overcapacity of lifeboats space and losing one affected that.

I was told that with the life rafts, along with the ability to overload the life boats (10%?), they still fell within the numbers needed to make it work. I thought there were more than 1700 people onboard, but the ship was not at full capacity.

Edited by travelgoddess1

We originally had an aft balcony booked but for cost restraints (the balcony was $6,169 we opted for an inside and ended up at $2353 total) switched to an inside and it worked well for us. I knew on canal day I was going to be all over the ship anyway. For at sea days there is not the crush of people on the pool deck as we have seen on other cruises (maybe the clientele) so we had a nice table in the shade to ourselves for most of the day.

A different perspective that at least worked for us. Just to let you know if the balcony makes it cost prohibitive there are options. :)

Course if Royal had decided to upgrade us to one of those aft balconies we certainly would not have turned them down. :D

Bill,

We don't cruise very often (an understatement) but this is for our 50th & I've been saving for quite sometime so we could splurge. I don't see any more cruises in our forseeable future so this is it. Our first cruise, 30 years ago, was on an old HAL ship which we loved. We had an interior w/bunks. It wasn't beautiful but it did the job. This will be our second balcony. A large window works as DH sits on the sill.

I can't thank you enough for all you've done.

Since we have been through the canal 10+ times, we didn't feel the need to go anywhere else. If I were still taking a lot of photos, I would have made more of an effort. It's especially fun to be on the Promenade Deck during the raising and lowering of the ships in the locks.

We enjoyed kicking back and not being part of the crush of people forward.:D. It doesn't matter which direction you go, for the same viewing spots.

Karen,

DH was a Merchant Marine officer so he's been through this canal 9 times. This is on my bucket list. Thanks for the hints. I will make a mental note (better still I should write them) to remember all I've learned.

Thanks again,

Bobbie

Karen,

DH was a Merchant Marine officer so he's been through this canal 9 times. This is on my bucket list. Thanks for the hints. I will make a mental note (better still I should write them) to remember all I've learned.

Thanks again,

Bobbie

I know you will enjoy it, and I hope it is one of your favorite memories!:)

If anyone is interested in viewing it, I put together a coffee table book of the cruise. It beats photo albums. :D

Click to view book.

Bill,

What a great book! Were your pics taken w/your phone or a camera? I have a Nikon Coolpix but no camera phone. Is there a problem w/my system? Do I download my pics to my laptop to create something on Shutterfly?

I know these seem to be basic dumb questions but I am not computer literate.

Bill,

What a great book! Were your pics taken w/your phone or a camera? I have a Nikon Coolpix but no camera phone. Is there a problem w/my system? Do I download my pics to my laptop to create something on Shutterfly?

I know these seem to be basic dumb questions but I am not computer literate.

Thanks.

I used a combination of pictures from my Nikon D5100, my phone and a few pictures that I scanned.

I used the MyPublisher software to create the book. Primarily because they had a half off coupon through today. :D

I also like that with MyPublisher it is software I put on my computer so I get to create the whole book on my computer before uploading it to their site. It makes it handy for grabbing additional pictures at the last minute since all the uploading doesn't happen until I am done. :)

Bill

Thanks for taking the effort to provide a means for all of us to take the cruise with you. The Panama Canal has been on my bucket list for sometime now, last May I finally had enough money saved to go Next November (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale. After reading your review I can hardly wait.

Thanks again

Mary

Thanks for taking the effort to provide a means for all of us to take the cruise with you. The Panama Canal has been on my bucket list for sometime now, last May I finally had enough money saved to go Next November (San Diego to Ft Lauderdale. After reading your review I can hardly wait.

Thanks again

Mary

It was amazing, I hope you have as great of time as we did. :)

Bill

If anyone is interested in viewing it, I put together a coffee table book of the cruise. It beats photo albums. :D

Click to view book.

Very Nice! I wish my Bill was more interested in doing things like that. I guess every couple needs a planner and a trip recorder. I seem to fulfill both functions as well. Thanks for sharing! :D:):D

~Patti :)

Thanks.

I used a combination of pictures from my Nikon D5100, my phone and a few pictures that I scanned.

I used the MyPublisher software to create the book. Primarily because they had a half off coupon through today. :D

I also like that with MyPublisher it is software I put on my computer so I get to create the whole book on my computer before uploading it to their site. It makes it handy for grabbing additional pictures at the last minute since all the uploading doesn't happen until I am done. :)

Bill

Wow, thanks for such a quick response. Maybe someday I will be able to be as computer/picture savvy as you.

I hope I enjoy my cruise as much as I enjoyed yours. lol

Happy cruising,

Bobbie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Sorry to intrude on your roll call and hope you had a great time. We are on the LOS Southern Caribbean on 1/13/14 and I have an ODD question maybe someone can answer. We were upgraded today from OS to a Deluxe with Balcony (and am pleased with that). I noted that our cabin - Deck 6 last on port side - is marked "obstructed". When I googled the cabin number on the Legend, it brings up layouts of the cabin as no balcony. I know the LOS was retrofitted last year and maybe cabins converted to balconies. But I'm curious what the obstruction is. Is anyone still on this Roll Call familiar with rear balcony cabins on your cruise and might have answer?

Steve

Hi all! Sorry to intrude on your roll call and hope you had a great time. We are on the LOS Southern Caribbean on 1/13/14 and I have an ODD question maybe someone can answer. We were upgraded today from OS to a Deluxe with Balcony (and am pleased with that). I noted that our cabin - Deck 6 last on port side - is marked "obstructed". When I googled the cabin number on the Legend, it brings up layouts of the cabin as no balcony. I know the LOS was retrofitted last year and maybe cabins converted to balconies. But I'm curious what the obstruction is. Is anyone still on this Roll Call familiar with rear balcony cabins on your cruise and might have answer?

Steve

Steve,

I hope you get an answer as I am also on Deck 6 but have an aft cabin. I have been curious about the outside cabins. I couldn't tell if they have balconies or not. I also wondered what an "obstructed" view means. In any event, congrats on your upgrade.

Happy New Year, too!

I was on Legend of the Seas, deck 6, 2nd cabin from the back on the starboard side. I saw on a map of the deck that the cabin next to mine was also marked obstructed view.

I'm attaching a picture I took towards the rear of the shop that shows a small obstruction, but not a big deal. I would think it's the same on the other side of the ship. I'm also attaching a photo the man on the balcony next door took for me of the locks behind us. The obstruction didn't hurt his view at all.

Have a great time on your cruise,

Marilyn

IMG_1275.jpg.0e61cc00a40e9e80ccf33b648ea0db80.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg.68a49690525700aa963471e38383a6c2.jpg

Steve,

I hope you get an answer as I am also on Deck 6 but have an aft cabin. I have been curious about the outside cabins. I couldn't tell if they have balconies or not. I also wondered what an "obstructed" view means.

Deck six afts have always been balcony cabins--BIG balconies, btw. Windowed cabins along the deck 6 port and starboard sides were converted to balcony cabins during the retrofit and the cabin size shrunk slightly on those to accommodate the new "pop-out" outdoor spaces.

I seem to remember a large piece of maintenance equipment that moves fore and aft on a track which "parked" at the back of the ship. Don't know if that went bye-bye during the dry dock or if that might be the obstruction. Or, it might just be the superstructure wrapping a bit further in since it's the last one aft. Regardless, nice upgrade-fairy visit!