"LIVE" - Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal 12 November 2013

PCWalton1

So, I am seriously considering doing a "Live from" post on our January 13th cruise. Is wi-fi available in the cabins or do I need to go to a public area to do my posts? Thanks for the help!! :D

Lisa

My cabin was amidship on deck 8 and I got good wifi most of the time, just a few minor outages. I used data on my phone (as a hotspot) part of the the time as Verizon Wireless had a reasonable global package. But about 2/3 of my live report was on Wifi. If you are going to use a netbook or tablet, try to reduce the size of your pictures before uploading.

Be careful doing a live report, they are addictive. I swore after two different cruises I wouldn't do it again but did. :o

Looking forward to your report. :)

Thank you for posting a live report. It was because of your live report that we booked a Panama canal cruise on Legend of the Seas (April 2015). We have wanted to do A Panama cruise for a long time and your Live report pushed us over the edge. Thank you again.

Redhead, I was on the 12 night southern cruise 12-12-12, we had almost the same itinerary. I was able to take my IPad ashore with me and find WiFi in Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada and Barbados. This way you could post your review a little at a time.quote]

Is it possible that you have your full review saved as one document? I'd love to read it without searching each day. If so, I'll provide email address to send it to. I'm thinking Lisa might like to read too!

S

I didn't write a review of my cruise, sorry.

tnfcruise,

My cruise is through the PC on APR 1st after all of yours. I'm soaking in all the knowledge I can in the mean time. Maybe SteveinPhilly who is sailing in JAN can help.

Bobbie and Jim: Not sure I'll be much help :o. We are doing So. Caribbean, not PC- and so I tend to be more interested in the ports than ship things (except to see about the entertainment.) This our first Vision Class (well, mine, my partner Janie went on the So Carib on the Vision of the Seas last Jan when I had to cancel at last minute). I use the CC board mostly to find out about the ports and to seek out Private Tours (SOMEtimes the RCI ones are actually cheaper and better but not often). We are not beach folks and part of reason for our So Carib itinerary - and one day the PC one - is to see things. I have small tours booked in 5 of the 6 ports on our cruise - the 6th is Labardee where I'll find a big tree to relax under.

I tend to write shorter reports but capture trips in photos and videos (which I share). I spebd so much time writing when not on a cruise (I'm a music journalist) that I even stopped taking a journal. ;)

I'm axious to see a So Carib blog. After we return, - or if Lisa - is going to post a Live one - you might get some "ship tips" from it. But right now the 1/13/13 Roll Call is mostly filled with folks making dinner arrangements with one anothe:rolleyes:r, so I'd suggest you wait till after the 13th and follow Lisa's reports there. :)

I didn't write a review of my cruise, sorry.

Thanks. I'll head over to the 12-12-12 croll call and see if I can fibd you daily report. (love the date :cool:),

Another suggestion for folks - though too late for this group - is to set up a Blog account on blogspot.com and post there. Then all of yiur posts are together to share with friebnds at home and you can just post the link for those on CC Roll call. Friends of mine do that and easier than searching a roll call.

Steve

the 6th is Labardee where I'll find a big tree to relax under.

Can never go wrong with that in Labadee! I had never done any excursion in Labadee but last time I did the Coastal Boat Tour. It was under $50; went about 2 hours; was back in my lounger under the tree in time for lunch. Super enjoyable and got into some small places you don't even realize that you can't see from the ship (You can see the area, but not like from the boat tour). So if you are looking for something that isn't $100+ and isn't paying to use a roller coaster, it's worth looking into. Just my 2 cents

1509874_10202877256237303_1701527263_n.jpg

1507032_10202877256157301_375236454_n.jpg

1538698_10202877258077349_700038423_n.jpg

1509196_10202877261037423_625756509_n.jpg

944816_10202877262917470_1648391345_n.jpg

1509758_10202877263917495_465365320_n.jpg

I sorry to clog up this board :o but I looked for All your posts in DEcember 2012 and didn't see any reports. Am I confused? Did you post "live" reports on CC during your "12-12-12" Cruise or did I mis read it? If you did, could you please provide Lisa and I a link?

Thanks!

Steve

Can never go wrong with that in Labadee! I had never done any excursion in Labadee but last time I did the Coastal Boat Tour. It was under $50; went about 2 hours; was back in my lounger under the tree in time for lunch.

After 5 non stop port days, it's time to rest. Last time we found a tree next to a band and it was great. A day of music, and shade and a dip in the water.

RCI changed itineraty from last year's VOS which had a "real" port insteasd of Labardee. This time I think they hit it right by Putting Labardee as the last port. :)

Steve

Thank you for posting a live report. It was because of your live report that we booked a Panama canal cruise on Legend of the Seas (April 2015). We have wanted to do A Panama cruise for a long time and your Live report pushed us over the edge. Thank you again.

Thank you, that is great to hear. I hope you have a fantastic trip, I know we did. :)

Can never go wrong with that in Labadee! I had never done any excursion in Labadee but last time I did the Coastal Boat Tour. It was under $50; went about 2 hours; was back in my lounger under the tree in time for lunch. Super enjoyable and got into some small places you don't even realize that you can't see from the ship (You can see the area, but not like from the boat tour). So if you are looking for something that isn't $100+ and isn't paying to use a roller coaster, it's worth looking into. Just my 2 cents

1509874_10202877256237303_1701527263_n.jpg

1538698_10202877258077349_700038423_n.jpg

1509196_10202877261037423_625756509_n.jpg

944816_10202877262917470_1648391345_n.jpg

1509758_10202877263917495_465365320_n.jpg

We will be sitting in a cabana in Labadee on New Year's Day 2015. Your pictures make me wish it was tomorrow and not a year away. :)

Next week for us!!! on IOS:)

I am so envious -- on our Freedom cruise two weeks ago, because of a medical emergency, we arrived too late at Labadee to enjoy a full day in the cabana, so we got a refund. I was so looking forward to it, but completely appreciate the reason for the delay. Now I will wait for December.:)

Enjoy!

Edited by travelgoddess1

Bill, we were sitting in a cabana on Labadee New Year's Day this year. It will be everything you hoped for! Can't wait for our next Labadee port of call.:D

Glad to hear Karen. :) That will be our first. It is suppose to be in the 40s and drizzling here tomorrow. Sure wish I didn't have to wait another 365 days for that cabana. :(

• 2 months later...
Hello all anyone of you know on a westbound panama what cameras to view online? And what ones to view as they transit the canal thanks for your help

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Here you go, in the order in which the ship would appear going from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Can I play with the GPS of your mind and tell you that it will really be a Southbound transit that you are speaking of... well at least at the Canal anyway:)!

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=GatunHi

Approaching Gatun Locks and up until the middle chamber

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Gatun

Exiting Gatun Locks into Gatun Lake

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/photo/webcams-works.html

This one is a little complicated... this camera toggles through 5 positions which will show Pedro Miguel Locks and Miraflores Lake, the north approach wall of Pedro Miguel Locks, the remaining positions will be in Galliard Cut a short distance from Pedro Miguel Locks.

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=MirafloresHi

This will show the approach to Miraflores Locks as well as the upper level of Miralfores Locks. If they have the camera zoomed a little you may be able to see Pedro Miguel Locks in the distance.

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Miraflores

Sometimes this camera shows the same thing as the Hi Res camera, but they will also show the lower level at Miraflores.

While all those cameras are usually up and running, every once in a while they take an un-programmed nose dive, just when you want to tune in!!

Enjoy....

Here you go, in the order in which the ship would appear going from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Can I play with the GPS of your mind and tell you that it will really be a Southbound transit that you are speaking of... well at least at the Canal anyway:)!

This one is a little complicated... this camera toggles through 5 positions which will show Pedro Miguel Locks and Miraflores Lake, the north approach wall of Pedro Miguel Locks, the remaining positions will be in Galliard Cut a short distance from Pedro Miguel Locks.

This will show the approach to Miraflores Locks as well as the upper level of Miralfores Locks. If they have the camera zoomed a little you may be able to see Pedro Miguel Locks in the distance.

Sometimes this camera shows the same thing as the Hi Res camera, but they will also show the lower level at Miraflores.

While all those cameras are usually up and running, every once in a while they take an un-programmed nose dive, just when you want to tune in!!

Enjoy....

Thanks Bill,

Since we were on board I never did look up the links to all the cameras. :oThanks for the reference.

And once again I want to say thank you to all of the people that posted webcam pictures during my cruise. That really made the experience complete. :)

Enjoy....

Thank u so much for posting this I have family onboard legend and going thru locks tommorow and I wantef to try and get some photos. Thank you again

Thanks Bill,

Since we were on board I never did look up the links to all the cameras. :oThanks for the reference.

And once again I want to say thank you to all of the people that posted webcam pictures during my cruise. That really made the experience complete. :)

Glad to provide it... as I really did enjoy my vicarious transit that you provided! Enjoyed it so much there are several of us from this part of Flawridah that are going down to Panama to put actual sneakers on the ground and take in all the new digs going on. While it won't be a transit, I have a good friend that is a tug captain, going to spend the day with him on the Canal. The crown jewel is that we are all going hop on the Vision out of Colon and come back to FLL.

Happy Cruising

Thank u so much for posting this I have family onboard legend and going thru locks tommorow and I wantef to try and get some photos. Thank you again

Glad to help. I'm sure I will be taking a look as well:).

Edited by BillB48
Ohhh only 13 words and two spelled wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the really great review of your cruise. Your photos made it seem as though we were there with you. We are looking at doing the same type of itinerary in 2015, not sure what line; will have to watch for the sales etc. But are considering doing it in January. We know it won't be as warm as February or March - but any thing south of the Rio Grande has to be a whole lot warmer than Minnesota.

The great thing about it - everyone asked the same questions that we

Your review has given us a lot to think about and even more decisions to make.

Again - thanks for the great review.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - September 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Planning Stages: Panama Canal - 15 to 21 days - 2015