I hope your M-class bathroom doesn't look like this

Turtles06

First of all, I know mold and mildew can be real problems for those are sensitive to them. For them it's a life issue and not just a cleanliness issue. Cruise lines, not just Celebrity, take special care in the types of foods they serve, especially with people who have certain dietary restrictions and/or allergies. So why can't they do the same when it comes to this bathrooms?

The simple answer is this: time.

It's takes time to clean the cabins. I have no idea how many cabins a steward and their assistant have to clean, but they need to get them all done "NOW" because the passengers demand it. I have literally seen people complaining about the time it takes for the stewards to clean their room, even in a half-ass way in order to just give them back the cabin!

How many people here have commented just once that they wish the steward would work faster so they could get back into their cabin? As many cruises as I've been on, I'm sure I've done it, even if I don't recall doing so. So I'm sure they feel the need to work as fast as they can in order to be gone and sometimes things get missed or they're not done perfectly.

Anyway, you know what helps to get things done? A thank you and acknowledgment of how hard they work for you. And I'm one of those who does realize just how hard these people work and I will always "pre-tip" the moment I meet my steward. I know many people are firmly against it, but it's what I do because I feel it's the right thing to do. Only once did I feel it was not warranted.

I'm all for complaining and making sure your bathroom is as clean as it should be and as you need it to be for your health. Just remember the person doing this has other bathrooms to clean and has a limited time in doing them as well. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. Personally, as much as I'd love to get into my cabin the moment I get on board, if it means having to wait until a couple extra hours to make sure everything is 100% spic and span, I'm all for it. Let the steward or the head of housekeeping know if you're sensitive and that you'd appreciate them being proactive. You get better results with "sugar" than with "vinegar".

Finally, while some of you don't have a problem with a bit of dark grout, there are just as many who do. Better to err on the side of caution rather than just shrug your shoulders at it and say, "whatever". :)

Edited by Kevin T Brown

My spouse and I have recently returned from the Infinity westbound TA (Harwich to Miami). We had a very enjoyable crossing, met lots of wonderful folks, and can't say enough good things about the staff and crew. Just about everyone went out of his or her way to ensure that people were having a great time. Our servers in the MDR, our sommelier, and our stateroom attendants could not have been better. We enjoyed many of the guest performers and lecturers. We had Halloween and a solar eclipse. And you can't beat seven consecutive sea days! (Except with eight. :))

I must say, though, that having taken our first Celebrity cruise aboard the Eclipse, which I think is a stunning ship, I was a bit apprehensive about sailing on the Infinity, particularly given some of the posts on here stating that the M-class ships are getting a little tired. Overall, however, I thought the Infinity was in good condition (although I think the physical design of the buffet is awful), but I have to make a big exception for our stateroom bathroom.

There are a few places on a ship that absolutely must be fresh, clean and pristine. The galley is one, and bathrooms are another. Unfortunately, the bathroom floor in our cabin was in very bad shape. The grout had visible mildew in the shower (gross!), and there were years of ground-in dirt on the tiles and in the grout on the bathroom floor. There was a rust hole on the outside of the shower (where caulk was missing) through which water mysteriously flowed into the bathroom every now and then, even when the shower wasn't being used.

I can't speak to the condition of any other cabins, but the grout in this bathroom has exceeded its useful life, and desperately needs to be replaced, and the tiles need to be sanded clean. I did report the condition of our bathroom to Guest Relations, and some days later, someone ran a bead of caulk over some of the mildew, the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. I realize that was about all they could do while the ship is in use, but Celebrity really needs to address these maintenance issues (and I so noted on our comment card). We did not let this spoil our trip, but it was off-putting (and hardly the "modern luxury" that Celebrity advertises).

InfinityShowerTile_zps48fdce5f.jpg

InfinityShowerTile2_zpsc3cfdc4d.jpg

InfinityBathroomFloor_zps305d8a3b.jpg

It's disagreeable. Looks like a combo of discolored grouting, worn out grouting, and mildew growing on tiles and grout.

I'd wet a towel, douse it with shampoo and kick the towel around to wipe away the surface mildew. When I encounter discolored grout I drop a towel and stand on it. No problem, as for the cabin steward "no extra tip".

I don't pack cleaning supplies. I assume my cabin will be cleaned before I enter the first day. Evidently the mildew was overlooked.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

You might want to go back and read what has actually been written to date. FWIW, I believe that the only identified contractor was the author of post # 24 and he expressed no doubt about mold being the problem.

Hmmm, I went back and read post #24, and it is mine. Being a contractor does not make me an expert. I expressed my opinion based on my experience with mold, and the posted pictures by the OP.

Real experts are available for most problems including mold, and I have used them.

A mold expert will look for and often find mold in an existing home, and send it to a lab to be tested. If you want to know more about mold the CDC has some excellent information.

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/

Hmmm, I went back and read post #24, and it is mine. Being a contractor does not make me an expert. I expressed my opinion based on my experience with mold, and the posted pictures by the OP.

Real experts are available for most problems including mold, and I have used them.

A mold expert will look for and often find mold in an existing home, and send it to a lab to be tested. If you want to know more about mold the CDC has some excellent information.

http://www.cdc.gov/mold/

Maybe not an expert, but certainly an experienced and knowledgeable contractor who has dealt professionally with mold. That gives your input a great deal of weight in my books.

You do realize, of course, that you are breaking all the rules here by denying that you are an expert when so many try so hard to create the illusion that they are! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Just off 28 days on the Millie and our bathrooms were spotless!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great to hear that Christine, my wife and I board in 8 weeks for our first X cruise on the Millennium.

As for the moldy tiles there are commercial grout cleaners available now that would fix the problem in minutes, at least until it could be permanently fixed at the next dry dock. They use a mild acid solution that removes a tiny bit of the grout.

Many people would find nothing wrong with the tiles in those photos, in fact they are quite clean compared to the way a lot of people live but for others like my wife and I they are not even close to being acceptable.

This is truly disgusting. Celebrity ought to be ashamed to have this shown. Mold is a health hazard. Truly a floating Petri dish. If they cannot clean a bathroom properly and consistently, what makes you think they can disinfect for Norovirus?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no excuse for that poor housekeeping. That's looks like a cheap fleabag motel. Do we have to take a bottle of Tilex with us now?

Active mold or not, it's just plain dirty. Mold at some time caused the staining. So, I assume the shower was allowed to have prolonged mold, thus the stain. The floor grout is just dirty from foot traffic, skin oils, etc., It needs a good cleaning. We always drop our shower towels to stand on after a shower and when in barefeet.

Silicon goop in a shower feeds mold. What you need is new grout with a sealer to keep the mold from latching on to the porous grout.

Edited by cruzincurt

We are on the Summit in a few weeks and then spending 12 nights on the Infinity:eek: I have mold phobia so this is NOT good. Will bring my Clorox wipes with me and have to wipe down the shower before using. HOpe that these boards are being read by Celebrity and that they are reacting by cleaning up those shower stalls! Now if I tell hubby that we need a suite so that there is a bath tub wonder what his reaction would be:eek::eek::eek:

Be well everyone and Happy Sailing!:D

• 4 months later...
This is truly disgusting. Celebrity ought to be ashamed to have this shown. Mold is a health hazard. Truly a floating Petri dish. If they cannot clean a bathroom properly and consistently, what makes you think they can disinfect for Norovirus?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would need to pack Tilex and Lysol after seeing these pictures. Hope Celebrity is monitoring this thread and has housekeeping cleaning up. Shame on them for allowing such filth! Was so excited when I booked this ship a few days ago...until I saw these pictures. Please tell me that the bathrooms have been demolded. Hope others post pictures to show clean bathrooms over the next few months so I won't have to cancel next summer's cruise. If my family sees these currently posted pics...they won't want to go on this ship. We've been on Celebrity many times...never seen anything like this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have only sailed on S class ships on X. We would like to try the M class but mold, mildew and aging surroundings without a decrease in cruise cost to help offset this is my fear. The bathroom photos are not acceptable to me. So sorry you had to deal with this but very happy you had a great trip!

Hope our AQ bathroom on Connie will be better. I am told they have the updated showers (no curtain)and have clean floors. Could someone pls post a Connie AQ bathroom photo?

.We had a bathroom like that shown in photo of OP on Summit but that was before it was Solsticized..hope they cleaned those up .

that.s why the newer ships are more appealing to us...sometimes when the refurbish they do not change out everytjing,

We have 29 credits on Celebrity, and have been on the Zenith, Horizon, Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Infinity, Millenium, Constellation, Summit, and Eclipse.

I don't inspect the ships I am on. I have no idea what the color of the carpet was in any of our cabins or if there was any mildew in the bathroom. I don't know if the railings needed varnish. I don't know if there were stains in the Centrum. And don't care.

I am a life long camper and Vietnam vet and have used outhouses, the woods, and holes in the ground. Didn't even have grout ;).

As long as the ship passes the appropriate government inspections, it is good enough for me. It is a ship that sails almost every day of the year with thousands of passengers-not an operating room.

I am too busy enjoying cruising to sweat the small stuff.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Sorry to respectfully disagree...

Maybe OK for camping or no frills cruising but not Modern Luxury...can overlook some cutbacks but not basic sanitation Hoping Solsticizing and recent refurbs have corrected this....and ongoing cleaning keeps it yuck free.

(Thank you for your service!)

As the OP, I just wanted to flag that this resurrected thread shows photos I took last November (2013). I certainly hope that the problem has been addressed since then, but it was a problem beyond Tilex and scrubbing. For a true fix, the bathroom needed to be re-grouted. Hard to know how they would get that done on a ship constantly in use.

Celebrity should have taken care of all these bathroom problems while the ships were being "Solsticized."

Instead they were only worried about adding revenue producing venues like specialty restaurants, aqua class cabins and more inside and outside cabins, taking away public space from the lounges on deck 12 and removing the cinema.

On our recent Summit cruise our bathroom was also looking tired. I asked for it to be cleaned better but it did not improve that much. We also had water leaking out on to the floor and it was very annoying. I complained twice to the cabin attendant about it. I should have gone up the chain, but really didn't want to spend my 7 night cruise complaining.

Agree with others... Those pics are pretty nasty. Hopefully a year on and the situation has been noted / rectified by Celerity, as no one really wants to ever encounter a Ship Cabin or Hotel Room Bathroom that looks like that.

That said... I learned a long time ago that it is ALWAYS best to travel with a pair of shower shoes (thongs / flip flops) for things like the gym or less than perfect bathrooms... And as a longtime camper who has used plenty of public shower facilities can say they have no doubt saved my feet from who knows what that blooms in outdoor or wet environments (and let's face it ships aren't by their nature much different... They are way more exposed to the elements than a hotel room... No matter how high end the cruise line wishes to profess in their marketing)

Hope our AQ bathroom on Connie will be better. I am told they have the updated showers (no curtain)and have clean floors. Could someone pls post a Connie AQ bathroom photo?

.We had a bathroom like that shown in photo of OP on Summit but that was before it was Solsticized..hope they cleaned those up .

that.s why the newer ships are more appealing to us...sometimes when the refurbish they do not change out everytjing,

If you booked an Auqa Cabin on Deck 11 you will be in heaven... Totally new cabins built from scratch... as this is where Fun Factory was before the Connie was solstice zed in 2013. (vs the AQ cabins on Deck 9 which were just coverted over)

We have an upcoming cruise on Connie, and this is part of the reason that we chose AQ Class & Deck 11. Gotta admit I am really looking forward to these NEW spa like bathrooms (got a tad spoiled on the Solstice back in 2012).

Gonna love me this fully enclosed shower stall with doors vs curtain (real downer on our Summit Cruise last year to have a curtain after being on the Solstice)... the Hansgrohe Shower Panel, Heated Mirror, and expanded assortment of toiletries. Lol, expect I will be god and spoiled after this cruise for future sailings !!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Agree with others... Those pics are pretty nasty. Hopefully a year on and the situation has been noted / rectified by Celerity, as no one really wants to ever encounter a Ship Cabin or Hotel Room Bathroom that looks like that.

That said... I learned a long time ago that it is ALWAYS best to travel with a pair of shower shoes (thongs / flip flops) for things like the gym or less than perfect bathrooms... And as a longtime camper who has used plenty of public shower facilities can say they have no doubt saved my feet from who knows what that blooms in outdoor or wet environments (and let's face it ships aren't by their nature much different... They are way more exposed to the elements than a hotel room... No matter how high end the cruise line wishes to profess in their marketing)

If you booked an Auqa Cabin on Deck 11 you will be in heaven... Totally new cabins built from scratch... as this is where Fun Factory was before the Connie was solstice zed in 2013. (vs the AQ cabins on Deck 9 which were just coverted over)

We have an upcoming cruise on Connie, and this is part of the reason that we chose AQ Class & Deck 11. Gotta admit I am really looking forward to these NEW spa like bathrooms (got a tad spoiled on the Solstice back in 2012).

Gonna love me this fully enclosed shower stall with doors vs curtain (real downer on our Summit Cruise last year to have a curtain after being on the Solstice)... the Hansgrohe Shower Panel, Heated Mirror, and expanded assortment of toiletries. Lol, expect I will be god and spoiled after this cruise for future sailings !!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks...yes shower shoes always!

we are not in the new deck 11 cabins, but AQ shower will be new anyhow..

cannot stand those smelly always wet and often moldy shower curtains!

Edited by hcat

that.s why the newer ships are more appealing to us...sometimes when the refurbish they do not change out everything,

Just off the Connie the end of June in an AQ deck 9 cabin.

Lovely cruise, Blu was great and the common areas of the ship overall were looking very good but the cabin not so much.

I don't have any photos but the bathroom wasn't looking good. Everything was operational but the mirror was oxidized around the edges and the floor had seen better days. Disappointing as I thought the bathrooms (and the cabins) would have been refreshed when they AQ'd them but it appears they just added the shower door and shower panel. In the bedroom, furniture was chipped and worn. Nothing that interfered with use or comfort but disappointing nonetheless.

Biggest issue is that this was an Arctic Circle cruise so we had 24 hours of daylight some days and no black out curtains. Sleeping more than a few hours at a time was difficult. Granted, this is something that would not be an issue on the majority of the Connie's itineraries but still...you would think modern luxury would include appropriate amenities in the cabin for the itinerary X scheduled.