My first Holland cruise

patti226

My mom and I are about to go on our first Holland cruise and I am having a hard time finding info about what type of activies they have on the ships can someone please give me some info on Holland and cruising? We have cruised on Princess, Disney and Carnival. I cant find any info so any info and tips would be great. Thanks in advance

Activities vary in an attempt to appeal to different interests.

You can expect Trivia, Bingo, Name that Tune, exercise classes, craft sessions, digital workshops, computer workshops to name a few.

Usually dance classes especially if it is a Dancing With the Stars cruise with the competitions.

What are you looking for as I have probably forgotten some ;)

There are no hairy chest contests or that type of thing, but there are pool games on sea days usually.

Edited by kazu

HAL ships have lovely libraries and on longer cruises they even have a book club. HAL ships appeal to those who are more self-contained than those who prefer a lot of highly structured activities.

On the longer cruises with extended at-sea days they will have an excellent array of enrichment speakers, on any number of topics appropriate to the areas one is cruising in. Shorter cruises or port intensive cruises not so much.

Afternoon Tea at Three is always another nice way to break up the long afternoons on sea days.

We are going to be on a 7 night cruise. We do like bingo, shows, trivia and the crafts sound fun. The fact that there is no hairy chest contest is fine with me :) I'm glad to know that there are things to do as I was starting to think there was only cooking and computer classes. Sense we have never cruised on Holland any tips would be great. I have reserved one of those cabanas on the lido deck as my mom is handicapped and on other cruises when we would have lunch in the buffet sometimes we would spend around 30 mins just trying to find a place to sit down and eat at least this way we will have a table.

…..on other cruises when we would have lunch in the buffet sometimes we would spend around 30 mins just trying to find a place to sit down and eat at least this way we will have a table.

No, it will never take you 30 minutes to find a table at the Lido. HAL ships handles space and dining options very well. You will get a table, but it might not be near a window. The HAL crews seem to be very accommodating to those with mobility problems.

My mom and I are about to go on our first Holland cruise and I am having a hard time finding info about what type of activies they have on the ships can someone please give me some info on Holland and cruising? We have cruised on Princess, Disney and Carnival. I cant find any info so any info and tips would be great. Thanks in advance

I have scanned the daily activities brochure (On Location) for our Zuiderdam cruise in May 2013. The link also contains the scanned Room Service and Room Service breakfasts.

These are typical of most HAL cruise ships.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=309

My website also has the scanned Specialty Restaurant menus.

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in May for our first HAL cruise and I followed your link to a wealth of information! I thoroughly enjoyed reading every morsel and I was making notes in my copybook. As my new hobby is to lurk and scour cruise critic, I felt like I hit the jackpot! I will be dreaming of all my On Location activities!:D

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in May for our first HAL cruise and I followed your link to a wealth of information! I thoroughly enjoyed reading every morsel and I was making notes in my copybook. As my new hobby is to lurk and scour cruise critic, I felt like I hit the jackpot! I will be dreaming of all my On Location activities!:D

Good choice, the Zuiderdam continues to get the best reviews for its food - it was the best dining room we have found on any HAL ships, which are pretty good to start with. Its decor a was also a lot more pleasing than its photos looked on first impression. Good ship for your first choice.

Thank you everyone for the tips keep them coming I will have more questions as I think of them When you order coffee from room service is it just a cup or is it a small pot and can you order hot water? How much is bingo on my last cruise I played a game that was 20 dollars for just one game I thought that was just a little over board.

Just finished a week on the Westerdam, and room service was the only way I found to get HOT coffee. Coffee in the Lido was consistently tepid. If you don't mind the extra charge, mildly better coffee is available in the Explorations Cafe, but don't expect great coffee there, and certainly don't look for it there too early or too late. It took me 3 visits before I found it open.

There is a reasonable number of versatile activities each day, and we often found ourselves having to chose between options. That's so much better than not finding enough!

Just finished a week on the Westerdam, and room service was the only way I found to get HOT coffee. Coffee in the Lido was consistently tepid. If you don't mind the extra charge, mildly better coffee is available in the Explorations Cafe, but don't expect great coffee there, and certainly don't look for it there too early or too late. It took me 3 visits before I found it open.

There is a reasonable number of versatile activities each day, and we often found ourselves having to chose between options. That's so much better than not finding enough!

Be sure to enjoy the Indonesian Specialty tea at 3pm on a sea day when it is offered and order their Sumatra Coffee choice - comes in its own French Press and is rich, robust and delicious.