Theft on Nieuw Amsterdam

Travel_2013

Although we reported the incident we did not pursue the matter any further. I felt that by interviewing the stewards they would feel being accused of stealing and frankly did not know what else to do. I think the front desk should have had suggestions other than "fill out the form and make a claim to your insurance". If they say this to everyone, how is anyone's job threatened if they actually do steal anything? That is my question.

You don't think that reporting your loss to the front desk would have caused the steward to be questioned? I do. The steward would still hear, but just not in a direct way.

I prefer the direct approach. I would have said up front to the steward "I left a speaker on the desk. Did you move it to somewhere safer? I'd appreciate it if you woudl ask if anyone else has seen it." Maybe, just maybe that speaker would then have reappeared just as mysteriously as it disappeared.

You missed another opportunity when speaking to the steward on shore.

And, so what if they think you suspect them? (Just hide your toothbrush, so they can't clean the toilet with it. :D)

Ha, so it must have been one of my fellow passengers then, which may include you for all I know!

Thanks for your insight!

OP, just forget about it. The cheerleaders here would rather have you believe in nonsense stories they've conjured up. Tall tales that involve passengers scaling the exterior of the ship to access other cabins. People rappelling onto other balconies so they can break in and steal from fellow pax. Oh, not to forget my favorite, rogue passengers roaming the corridors looking for cabins to rob/break into. And they always claim that these rogue passengers are out in full force on the morning of disembarkation searching for items to steal from cabins with the doors propped open. Really? Amidst the chaos of an early morning departure, those pax have nothing better to do?

I guess it's just too difficult for them to understand that a steward can quickly and easily take whatever he/she wants and go undetected forever. It's easy for them to get away with it. I'm tired of hearing how these ship employees are so poor and need the money for their families (who doesn't) and they would never risk their extremely low paying job to steal items from passengers. Desperate measures.

And they always claim that these rogue passengers are out in full force on the morning of disembarkation searching for items to steal from cabins with the doors propped open. Really? Amidst the chaos of an early morning departure, those pax have nothing better to do?
There are always "thieves of opportunity" - someone who just happens to be passing by with no prior intent to steal who sees a chance to grab and run.

I guess it's just too difficult for them to understand that a steward can quickly and easily take whatever he/she wants and go undetected forever. It's easy for them to get away with it.
True, a one-time thief can probably get away with it. But if a steward has stolen once and succeeded he is likely to try again, and each time he is accused the probability of a more diligent investigation increases, and eventually he will be caught. This is why it is important to report every incident.

Furthermore, since HAL stewards now work in teams, the chances of a steward hiding every theft from his partner "forever" are pretty slim. The first time the innocent one has been accused he might let is pass, but after a second time he will be watching his partner more closely.

I'm tired of hearing how these ship employees are so poor and need the money for their families (who doesn't) and they would never risk their extremely low paying job to steal items from passengers.

The threat of being put off the ship somewhere without enough money to get home would likely add a great deal of motivation to keep their jobs. And while you think it is a lousy low-paying job, obviously many of them disagree and come back contract after contract.

Yes, I do believe that most of them would not risk losing their jobs to steal a relatively small item.

Edited by jtl513

As an educator, I'm looking at the ethical side of this thread.

A ship, with a date of sailing, and an anonymous steward on this ship, have now been put on the Internet with- a suggestion of theft on board. Theft can only be proven by a witness or fingerprints on the object if it ever shows up.

While theft is not uncommon, in general, (according to news reports), people are still innocent until proven guilty.

Also, people on an Internet forum should practice the Golden Rule, IMO.

This thread could be a debate without much negativity, couldn't it?

As an educator, I'm looking at the ethical side of this thread.

A ship, with a date of sailing, and an anonymous steward on this ship, have now been put on the Internet with- a suggestion of theft on board. Theft can only be proven by a witness or fingerprints on the object if it ever shows up.

While theft is not uncommon, in general, (according to news reports), people are still innocent until proven guilty.

Also, people on an Internet forum should practice the Golden Rule, IMO.

This thread could be a debate without much negativity, couldn't it?

I agree.

Someone stole the speaker. "Someone" being the operative word here. Nobody has said they don't believe it was stolen. We believe.

However there are a few thousand suspects here and it was a very mean thing to do to single out a steward and cast aspersions without any proof whatsoever.

You just can't do that to people.

I am not naive enough to think that theft by crew members never happens and I am not being a cheerleader. I am just being fair.

Edited by sapper1

I agree.

Someone stole the speaker. "Someone" being the operative word here. ****Nobody has said they don't believe it was stolen.**** We believe.

However there are a few thousand suspects here and it was a very mean thing to do to single out a steward and cast aspersions without any proof whatsoever.

You just can't do that to people.

I am not naive enough to think that theft by crew members never happens and I am not being a cheerleader. I am just being fair.

****It certainly was suggested that maybe the item wasn't stolen. The OP was asked by one poster if maybe they hadn't even brought the speaker on board with them, but just thought they had it with them. So when OP couldn't find it he assumed it had to have been stolen. That was a very insulting question and obviously was said to put a doubt into the discussion that there had been a theft and that the OP didn't even know if he had packed the speaker or not. At that point the proof of theft became an issue, not just who stole it.

OP, just forget about it. The cheerleaders here would rather have you believe in nonsense stories they've conjured up. Tall tales that involve passengers scaling the exterior of the ship to access other cabins. People rappelling onto other balconies so they can break in and steal from fellow pax. Oh, not to forget my favorite, rogue passengers roaming the corridors looking for cabins to rob/break into. And they always claim that these rogue passengers are out in full force on the morning of disembarkation searching for items to steal from cabins with the doors propped open. Really? Amidst the chaos of an early morning departure, those pax have nothing better to do?

I guess it's just too difficult for them to understand that a steward can quickly and easily take whatever he/she wants and go undetected forever. It's easy for them to get away with it. I'm tired of hearing how these ship employees are so poor and need the money for their families (who doesn't) and they would never risk their extremely low paying job to steal items from passengers. Desperate measures.

I agree...just forget about it. The cheerleaders on here are going to stick their heads in the sand and believe what they want to believe. And now I am done with this thread.

Edited by existentialtraveler

…. Oh, not to forget my favorite, rogue passengers roaming the corridors looking for cabins to rob/break into. And they always claim that these rogue passengers are out in full force on the morning of disembarkation searching for items to steal from cabins with the doors propped open. Really? Amidst the chaos of an early morning departure, those pax have nothing better to do? …...

Since this theft happened sometime during or after the afternoon lifeboat drill call when the ship was still in dock and non-ship personnel could still be on board making a grab and go theft feasible, not sure where your issue of morning disembarkation chaos theft got raised.

One would assume this particular passenger was not even on board at that time, let alone unpacked and leaving personal electronics out in their cabin. Not following you line of thinking here.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I am rather concerned about all the people who firmly believe no crew member would steal, or otherwise do something they should not. There are "good" and "bad" people everywhere, including onboard a ship, whether it be passengers or crew members. A few years ago on the Zaandam, I caught our two room stewards doing something they should not when I returned to our cabin for something right after leaving for dinner. One was possibly keeping "look out" but had been distracted by passengers engaging him in conversation in the hallway, and I came around the corner from the elevator lobby, and caught the other one going through the drawers, and with the tip money from a drawer in his hand. There was very quick and very ashamed movement and rapid explanations that made no sense. I was mortified and not sure what to do, but yes I did report it to the front desk, and we had a change in stewards. I don't know what happened to them, I simply submitted an incident report and left it at that. But I certainly did not like the fact that my clothing had been rummaged through.

So while it's a sad comment on our times, you cannot be trusting of all crew just because you think they wouldn't do something like that. I never leave even a few dollar bills anywhere but the safe.

Thank you for sharing your story. I know DH and I are at times too trusting of the ship's staff and your post is a good reminder that "stuff happens." Thank you again for posting.

I agree...just forget about it. The cheerleaders on here are going to stick their heads in the sand and believe what they want to believe. And now I am done with this thread.
I don't see anyone saying it couldn't possibly have been the steward, but you and lovesublime seem to be sticking your heads in the sand and insisting that there are no possible alternative explanations. Edited by jtl513

I don't see anyone saying it couldn't possibly have been the steward, but you and lovesublime seem to be sticking your heads in the sand and insisting that there are no possible alternative explanations.

The OP said the bag or box looked like a jewelry box. In that list of thefts from the web site provided there was one of a passenger who was caught with $20,000 in jewelry from the gifts shops. Which has made me think from the beginning that the theft was done by a passenger. I am sure that if the theft had been done by a room steward as the the OP subtlety implied, his room would have been searched by staff immediately after the report despite the inept handling by front desk staff.

The good thing about this posting is that it warns all of us to put or valuable away when we leave the room.

Since the room stewards don't know who is in each room the first day of the cruise, it would be very easy for a passenger to brazenly walk into a room that had the door opened and take something out.

We will never know who took the item stolen and we are all now aware that our valuable might not be safe. So thanks to the OP for reporting his theft.

Sorry for your loss and distress. No fun at all.

I have noticed on many cruise ships, the drawers are very shallow and sometime items can fall down behind the drawer in the cabinet... when ever I am missing something that is an area i look.

So funny, on our last cruise I noticed that one of the small drawers would not close properly. After messing with it for a while, and being unable to remove the drawer, I managed to get my hand down the back of it while half open. I made contact with material and after a lot of pulling and tugging, I pulled out a 46DD pink bra, and a childs cutoff tee shirt.

It was a lesson to me to make sure I check behind drawers as best I can befor vacating a ship.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

When I travel, I try to minimise the chances of having anything stolen or lost.

• I never travel with expensive jewellery - On shore or on a ship, why risk losing it or becoming a target for theft?
  • Wherever I am staying, I never leave anything of value on sight in my room. When I leave the room, things like computers and other electronic items are either locked in the safe or locked in my suitcase.
  • Money, passports, tickets are locked in the safe.
  • My camera goes with me, wherever I go . I would not like to miss a photo opportunity.
  • Items of lesser value (such as books) that I would not like to lose are put inside a drawer.
  • I travel with a Pacsafe bag and under-clothes security belt.
  • I'm a neat freak and I would know straight away if something of mine was moved or went missing.
  • I don't believe in putting temptation in anyone's way. Even the most honest person might be tempted if something they wanted was left in plain sight, and there was an opportunity for spur-of-the-moment theft.

DH thinks I'm a paranoid control freak - but then, on 2 separate occasions, he's had a bag and a camera stolen. So far, nothing of mine has been stolen.

Edited by celle

The threat of being put off the ship somewhere without enough money to get home would likely add a great deal of motivation to keep their jobs. And while you think it is a lousy low-paying job, obviously many of them disagree and come back contract after contract.

Yes, I do believe that most of them would not risk losing their jobs to steal a relatively small item.

Crew cannot just be "dumped" in any country. Very similar to an airline flying someone without the correct visa - the airline is then responsible for returning that person from whence they came.

IMO, no cabin steward should be in a cabin cleaning it, the bathroom and verandah with the door closed. A steward should always leave the door open while (s)he is inside.

I totally agree the door should be open while the attendant is in there but not left open when he has to go to a storage closet.

When traveling we seem to be more organized and neat than at when at home. Before leaving the room for the day we always tidy up. Clothes put away. Electronics put away but not locked up. Papers neatly put in a stack. Used glasses collected and put in a single place. Valuables locked in the safe and we even make the bed sometimes.

These simple steps make it easier for the steward and less time your door will be open and only takes us about 5 minutes.

On our Cunard cruise last month a Queen Grill room near our Princess Grill was being cleaned and as I passed by I ogled the room so see what the next suites up were like and was shocked it was like an explosion of clothes and belongings everywhere. A few days later I noticed it being cleaned again and still just a total mess. It obviously takes that cabin steward longer to clean when it's such a mess.

When I was 15 I was a hotel maid at a Holiday Inn in Destin Florida and I hated cleaning those messy messy rooms and beach sand everywhere. I hated stay overs and loved cleaning check outs so I didn't have to deal with personal items - it's a hard thankless job.

I have noticed recently when staying in hotels recently that the maids carts completely block the open door preventing anyone from entering while it's being cleaned.

When I was 15 I was a hotel maid at a Holiday Inn in Destin Florida and I hated cleaning those messy messy rooms and beach sand everywhere.

Two cabin stewards per 30 (or so) cabins means there are approximately 75 of them on a Signature ship. If there is one traffic director at each elevator bank on 9 decks, and cabin stewards were used for all of them, there are still about 50 stewards that are not needed. They, and most of the crew, are going about their normal duties. They get their own drills, which are more stringent than the Passenger Drill, because they have to learn how to handle us!

DH and I were once very far forward in our cabin assignment. The nearest emergency exit was through the "CREW ONLY" door emergency stairway. When we entered the door, a crew member with his "TRAFFIC DIRECTOR" vest smiled and said, "This way, please." I'm sure he was surprised to even "get" anyone coming his way. There may be more assigned stations than most passengers (who head for the main stairs) may realize.

Also, we have been told during drills that they have a method for checking for passengers attempting to skip the drill. Are there other people, beyond our assigned cabin stewards, who are opening doors and checking bathrooms?

This thread reminds me of a story that happened to a friend of mine. Her son was getting married out of state and she spent weeks trying to find the perfect shoes to match her gown. Having finally found them, she and her husband traveled to the hotel where the wedding would take place.

That Saturday night, they were out at a rehearsal dinner.She left her shoes on the dresser in a special flowered case that matched some other travel pieces she had. Next morning, she couldn't find her shoes. They were missing.

She had to wait till noon on Sunday for a shoe store to open. She went to the mall and bought her shoes in an inexpensive shoe store and was thrilled to find something that fit.

Sorry for a senior moment, but I just recalled something that happened to my husband. We were staying in a 4 Seasons hotel in Maryland and were there for the wedding of a friend's daughter. It was black tie and the hotel had a shoe shining service. My husband put his shoes outside the door to be shined and returned the next morning.

Well, you know the next morning they weren't there. He had to wear loafers with his tux. The hotel did pay for him to replace his shoes when he got home.

So, that was a first class hotel. Who took his shoes????

I don't think it's difficult for other passengers to get into your cabin. Years ago we were cruising and had a nice couple at our dinner table that wanted to see what a balcony cabin room looked like as they had never stayed in one. We gave them our cabin # and said "we're off to the show, why don't you go down to our cabin and if the steward is there with the door open let him know that we're fine with you checking out our cabin." The next night at dinner they went on and on about how HUGE our balcony was (we were in a standard balcony cabin). I was really puzzled about that because I mean- it was hardly large. Then I discovered they actually went into a suite cabin about 6 doors down from ours (not sure where the mix-up in cabin #'s came from) and yes, the steward let them walk through the cabin. Imagine what would have happened if the real tenants had showed up!

I appreciate that the OP has raised awareness of an unfortunate incident, and they should be respected for sharing the details on this forum.

To answer the OP's question of "has this ever happened to you?", well, I must have some bad luck because it HAS, and more than once. :( Without going into a lot of detail, let me preface this by saying that I am still "fairly" young, and extremely organized in the cabin (so let's rule out that these missing items were "misplaced", because they were NOT!) These incidents happened on various cruise lines, all were comparable to HAL.

1st incident: DH's size 13 gym shoes missing from closet on day three. Discussed with steward, searched for days, never located.

2nd incident: Expensive black bra missing from drawer. Worn once on formal night (and yes, I put it back after wearing). Discussed with steward, (who searched laundry, which I never used) item never located.

3rd incident: Purchased 4 inexpensive bracelets for gifts in St Thomas. Still wrapped in store bag, placed in desk drawer. Searched cabin repeatedly. Discussed with steward (who was female). Item never located.

What am I to conclude? I really don't know. :confused: BUT, I do empathize, sympathize, and fully understand what the OP has experienced. :(

We were on one of the HAL ships a few years back (I think it was B2B Caribbean)...and we were unpacking, etc. The bed was made up and all, and I had dropped something. In looking for it under the bed and behind the headboard.......I plucked out an obviously new gorgeous cherry red bra.

Not thinking, when I next saw our room steward I handed it to him and said the previous pax must have wondered where it had gone. I was sure I saw him blush;)

Crew cannot just be "dumped" in any country. Very similar to an airline flying someone without the correct visa - the airline is then responsible for returning that person from whence they came.
He may not be "dumped" in the next port, but if he is from Indonesia or the Philippines and the ship is cruising in the Caribbean, Europe, AK, etc, he will certainly be put off in a port that is not his homeland. HAL may be responsible for getting him to his home country, but that still may not be his home city/town/village, and he may not have enough money to complete the trip.

... and yes, the steward let them walk through the cabin.
This should never be allowed, whether you said it was OK or not! :eek::eek: Edited by jtl513

So funny, on our last cruise I noticed that one of the small drawers would not close properly. After messing with it for a while, and being unable to remove the drawer, I managed to get my hand down the back of it while half open. I made contact with material and after a lot of pulling and tugging, I pulled out a 46DD pink bra, and a childs cutoff tee shirt.

It was a lesson to me to make sure I check behind drawers as best I can befor vacating a ship.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Those scavenger hunts are a hoot