Is the Solstice class complete??

MoyCoy

Was the Reflection the last ship for this class? Any rumors about a new class emerging in the next few years? How many years does Celebrity usually wait before introducing a new class of ships?

Just Wondering:p

According to the last Presdent of Celebrity it takes at least 5 years to launch a new ship from concept to the actual completion. At this point there have been Nolan's announced for any new builds. Forget rumors. Many rumors on many subjects, but very few, if any have turned out to be true. You'll. probably get lots of opinions here, but they are just that, opinions not facts.

Edited by Orator

There are experts here who may be able to weigh in on this. I'd rather a return to a new smaller ship - bigger is not better in my world ;) I love the M class ships and would love a new one of that size (I know it won't happen but I can dream). Intimate elegance - while the Solstice class ships have the latest and greatest - the size doesn't appeal to me as much as the M class.

My understanding is that Celebrity and their corporate bosses at RCI are taking a new ship break .

According to USA's Gene Sloan, there are no plans for new Celebrity ship's.

Given the scale of the Soltice class, this is not surprising.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/07/11/guide-new-cruise-ships-order/2506049/

Haven't read anything on a new class of ships, but i agree with Jane, smaller is the way to go for us. Never been on a "big" ship (only Connie and Disney Wonder which are pretty much the same size).

Our first cruise was on Connie and I found her pretty big and big enough until......we docked in Cozumel last april right beside the Oasis of the Sea, Oasis was already docked when we arrived and that ship was HUGE from affar and quite intimidating while we docked, we were on deck 10 and looking forward we were at same height as some rooms of the Oasis, so that's when i said, no way, that ship is way too big. She an engineering feat, but way too big.

So yeah, would like a newer class M ship from X with the latest technology, not that there is anything wrong with the actual M class :)

i agree that any new builds need not be any larger than "s" and that an "M" class size with "S" design/ technology/ decor/ restaurants/ would also be my preference......however.....I fear that the prices for that class ship would be as high as the testicles on a giraffe....guess we get what we pray for.....as Orator says....don't forget that Celebrity is also trying to make a profit

Just my nickels worth :rolleyes:

If they wanted to go smaller they would have done a major redo on Century. This might have been the original plan, but it was dropped. I'm afraid that Economy of Scale" applies to any future decisions.

I agree plus many seem willing to pay a premium for BIG.

According to the last Presdent of Celebrity it takes at least 5 years to launch a new ship from concept to the actual completion. At this point there have been Nolan's announced for any new builds. Forget rumors. Many rumors on many subjects, but very few, if any have turned out to be true. You'll. probably get lots of opinions here, but they are just that, opinions not facts.

Just a personal opinion, but,if they are not doing new ships, they need to maintain what they have. Just watch people complain about maintenance on M Class. We love the Constellation, but complaints about mold have discouraged us from re-scheduling. People will return if they feel ships are "maintained".

Just a personal opinion, but,if they are not doing new ships, they need to maintain what they have. Just watch people complain about maintenance on M Class. We love the Constellation, but complaints about mold have discouraged us from re-scheduling. People will return if they feel ships are "maintained".

My guess is that the vast majority would agree with you. I know I do.

If they wanted to go smaller they would have done a major redo on Century. This might have been the original plan, but it was dropped. I'm afraid that Economy of Scale" applies to any future decisions.

I agree and if RCL decided to build a smaller ship it would go to Azamara.

What is "Nolan's"?

There are experts here who may be able to weigh in on this. I'd rather a return to a new smaller ship - bigger is not better in my world ;) I love the M class ships and would love a new one of that size (I know it won't happen but I can dream). Intimate elegance - while the Solstice class ships have the latest and greatest - the size doesn't appeal to me as much as the M class.

The sad fact is that smaller ships are just not very economical and have a higher operating cost per passenger day. Since Celebrity is competing in the mass-market cruise line segment, it is doubtful they will move back to smaller ships since it would mean having to substantially increase their prices. We think that the trend is pretty clear that eventually the only way to find a small cruise ship will be to cruise with the more expensive luxury lines. Keep in mind that RCI does own Azamara...which is an excellent smaller ship line.

Hank

I agree Orator. While I'd love to see Celebrity build a 100,000 ton ship that has the best features of the M-Class and S-Class... it's a fantasy. Due to ecomomies of scale, Celebrity will ultimately build larger than the S-Class, with more cabins and revenue generating concepts. Most cruise lines are hyper focused on maximizing every inch of the ship into $$$, and it doesnt bode well for a ship that's smaller than 130,000 - 150,000 tons, with 3500+ Guests. That's my guess for the next class, whenever it happens.

Edited by Host Andy

Radiance class and M class share a hull design.

They would have to charge a higher base fare if a new 90,000 GRT ship was built. That would fit into Azamera.

Hi Big Booper,

If & when Azamara builds new ships, I cant see them being any larger than 50-60,000 tons. Their current ships are 30,000 tons, so I cant see them making a massive jump to 90,000 tons. The only potential match I can see with Celebrity, is Azamara taking Century someday. With that said, as Century is 71,000 tons, it's probably a longshot.

Edited by Host Andy

Radiance class and M class share a hull design.

They would have to charge a higher base fare if a new 90,000 GRT ship was built. That would fit into Azamera.

I found there much more public space on the solstice class ships compared to the Journey, on a sea day that is a packed ship on deck

Absolutely agree.....100%.

I used to love M class ships, but with the addition of cabins and the shrinkage of the walking track/public spaces I am ambivalent on M class ships now.

I do hope they maintain them and I can't imagine Celebrity has a corporate policy reflecting a lack of maintenance standards on the M class ships that would allow mold to be as shown in the pictures, so my guess is 'on ship' crews are being stretched which will cost Celebrity much more than the presumed short term cost savings they are pushing ship crews for.

We went on our first Celebrity cruise this March on the Summit post "Solstisization"(sp.). We loved it, especially the itinerary.

The staff seemed to be forever cleaning up. It almost seemed like a "performance".

We only found out a month later that they had failed their CDC inspection and were (nervously) waiting for another.

They certainly weren't volunteering this information especially during the galley tour where

the guide was almost possessed as he explained the care they take in keeping to the highest cleanliness standards.

Again we loved the cruise but wonder why it took a low CDC score to take sanitation efforts up to the highest degree.

It got us to wondering if they had put maintenance of their older ships on the back burner as they rolled out the new ones.