Denmark currency vs US dollar

btorlv

Well, yes, mostly. Yes, it is a decimal system. The US dollar is not particularly strong against any European currency right now. When we were there in July 5.5 Krone to the US$. For the current most accurate info, an internet search will find it very fast.

The Danish Krone is pegged with the Euro to an exchange rate of 746,038 kroner per 100 euro. It is not allowed to fluctuate more than +/- 2.25 % from that exchange rate. That means that when the Euro is strong towards the US dollar, the Danish Krone is strong as well and vice versa.

The Danish Krone is pegged with the Euro to an exchange rate of 746,038 kroner per 100 euro. It is not allowed to fluctuate more than +/- 2.25 % from that exchange rate. That means that when the Euro is strong towards the US dollar, the Danish Krone is strong as well and vice versa.

[just for the benefit of anyone not familiar with European numbers, that means 746, not 746thousand. Europe uses a comma for a decimal point, Britain and USA use a full stop. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it, I just thought there's potential for confusion.]

If Denmark and/or the Eurozone has an equivalent to the UK's "Black Wednesday" (or whatever day it was) when the UK had to pull out of the ERM (Exchange Rate Mechanism, a sort of forereunner of the Euro) then there may come a time when that rate will fluctuate quite fast. That's not on the immediate horizon, however.

I use an iPhone app called "Convert" (it's an orange icon with two arrows). It is updated daily with the exchange rates. I find it helpful when we're shopping or at a restaurant. For example, when buying a cup of coffee, I'll type "20 DKK" and am relieved to find it's only $3.62 USD. In addition to currency, it also converts length, speed, temperature, and others. It will work without an internet connection. When travelling abroad, I'll update it when we're somewhere with free WiFi.

On November 16, 2013:

1 EUR = $1.35 USD

$1 USD = 0.74 EUR

$1 USD = 5.53 DKK (Danish Krone)

1 DKK = $0.18 USD

If you are ok with a ballpark estimate, I just divide by 5 to get USD and 7 to get euros. These numbers are on the conservative side. The actual cost is a little less, so you will be pleasantly surprised. So 10 DKK is a little less than $2. 20 is a little less than $4. 100 is in the ballpark of $20. 500 is around $100 etc. This is the technique I use if looking at a list of hotel prices, for example and don't want to enter every one into a converter. If one is 1200 and one is 1000 and I like the more expensive one better but want a ballpark of the difference, I just divide 200 by 5 and know it's around $40.

I use an iPhone app called "Convert" (it's an orange icon with two arrows). It is updated daily with the exchange rates. I find it helpful when we're shopping or at a restaurant. For example, when buying a cup of coffee, I'll type "20 DKK" and am relieved to find it's only $3.62 USD. In addition to currency, it also converts length, speed, temperature, and others. It will work without an internet connection. When travelling abroad, I'll update it when we're somewhere with free WiFi.

For those with Android phoned, there is an app called "Convert Pad" which will do the same as the app you mention.

Edited by Desdichado62

On November 16, 2013:

1 EUR = $1.35 USD

$1 USD = 0.74 EUR

$1 USD = 5.53 DKK (Danish Krone)

1 DKK = $0.18 USD

I just downloaded that app, but it seems to convert everything except currency! I searched for a currency converter, and the free one from XE Currency was highly rated.

I've passed through Denmark for 6 summers in a row, and the 5 DKK / $1 has been close enough for my needs. However:

--No matter how many coins are in your hand, you'll be one short for the price of a beer. I call this "Loki's Law".

--As such, it is hard to avoid leaving without a pile of small coins.

--Because of very high VAT and high prices in general, you may be happier to NOT think about how much you are spending, in dollars. (don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE Copenhagen)

--When a beer costs 50 DKK, and you're whipping out 200 DKK and even 500 DKK notes, you will feel like you are throwing around large sums. And given the high costs, in actuality, you are!

I usually get our cash from our bank before we leave - then I don't have to worry about finding an ATM, etc. For our next cruise I have to get Euros, British Pounds, Scottish Pounds, Norwegian Krone and Icelandic Krone - eek. Once I've figured out a basic budget and get our cash I stop thinking in dollars and just go with what money we have - cuts down on headaches. The exchange rate is what it is - and prices are what they are - and I have no control over it. :rolleyes:

You would need a lot more kroner, than Euro or USD to buy the same thing. But you will be able to buy a lot more kroner with your USD as well, or if charged on credit card, the amount of USD will be less.

I'm more interested at the cost of things in kroner or rubles so I know how many to buy for things like soft drink, beer, snack, lunch, restaurant tip or small souvenirs. Larger items I would use a credit card for.

I usually get our cash from our bank before we leave - then I don't have to worry about finding an ATM, etc. For our next cruise I have to get Euros, British Pounds, Scottish Pounds, Norwegian Krone and Icelandic Krone - eek. Once I've figured out a basic budget and get our cash I stop thinking in dollars and just go with what money we have - cuts down on headaches. The exchange rate is what it is - and prices are what they are - and I have no control over it. :rolleyes:

Ditto If I need more money then I look for an ATM

I'm more interested at the cost of things in kroner or rubles so I know how many to buy for things like soft drink, beer, snack, lunch, restaurant tip or small souvenirs. Larger items I would use a credit card for.

rough idea http://www.visitnorway.com/us/About-Norway/Travel-facts/Before-you-go/Currency-and-prices/

http://www.eardex.com/cost-of-living/calculator.php?table_name=tourismtravel&id=NO&country_id=NO&calcFor=country&language_code=en

Edited by LHT28

Unless things have recently changed, British pounds work just fine in Scotland.

Unless things have recently changed, British pounds work just fine in Scotland.

Thanks for the info. We have 4 ports in Scotland so I may still go ahead and order Scottish currency anyway - just for the fun of it. The exchange rate is the same. I imagine I would get change in Scottish pounds?

Thanks for the info. We have 4 ports in Scotland so I may still go ahead and order Scottish currency anyway - just for the fun of it. The exchange rate is the same. I imagine I would get change in Scottish pounds?

You will not be able to order Scottish currency. When you order Sterling you will receive Bank of England notes. In Scotland your change will be a mixture of English (Bank of England) and Scottish notes (Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank). The coins are exactly the same in both Scotland and England. Outwith the UK you are unlikely to be able to exchange any Scottish notes. Also, in some places in England, they will query the use of Scottish notes.