Towel Animals

doublebzz

They were very novel when I first started cruising.

However, I don't think the stewards would mind if HAL told them not to bother any longer. The stewards have a big enough workload and they could move onto their next cabin sooner.

I love the towel animals ... even when they are repeats from former cruises! Don't even HINT that HAL should eliminate them! :)

We get a chuckle out of them. My husband perversely will pose them in a non-conforming position for the stewards when they come the next day. Nothing obscene, just somewhat different. :) The stewards also get a chuckle and get a bit more creative as to where they place them in the days to follow. It is almost like a ballet as they move around our cabin.

If they were to stop them to give more time to clean, you would quickly hear a hue and cry from CC'ers accusing HAL of cutbacks and penny pinching.

As others have said, they take very little time for the stewards to make, and I know from discussions we have had with our stewards that most of them take great pride in their ability to make them, and do enjoy the novelty (few cruise lines do them anymore).

We look forward to them as one of the traditions when sailing with HAL.

Do all the cabins get the same towel animal on the same day, or is it just the steward´s decision ?

Sandy in Spain

I don't know for sure - but I think it does depend upon the stewards. I've been on a number of ships and seen the 'standard' towel animals. I think we all know what they are.

On our Prinsendam cruise they came up with ones I had never seen. When they saw I was saving the unique ones - they got better and better and better :)

I got rid of the standard ones and saved the 'special' ones. At one point I asked the stewards if it was ok (I know they need those towels). I just got a big smile - Mrs x we know you like the good ones - we are touched you would save them - we won't take them down until the last night.

The animals got better and better and got tougher to decide which ones to save.

this was one cruise where the towel animals were very impressive and really touched us :D

How can you not like this?

ry%3D400

We love the surprise of never knowing what we will find. Must say though, the steward we had on the Disney Magic way outdid himself with the towel CREATIONS. We laughed each time and once an officer was near by and came to see what the commotion was about. She said she had never seen such creations! Each day we never knew where the children's stuffed animals would be and in what. I will copy the photos tonight into Shutterfly to share. Incredible imagination and creativity.

The only creation I really don't like is the monkey that occasionally is hanging from the ceiling on a hanger just inside the cabin door. It is guaranteed to scare the daylights out of the first person through the door. :eek:

Hi

I look forward to going back to my room and see what is waiting for me. I would be very disappointed if they stop this.

Also I did not know there was a spelling police on this board.

Mary

Mary please don't pay attention to boorish behavior! Some people think they are perfect..

I love the towel animals ... even when they are repeats from former cruises! Don't even HINT that HAL should eliminate them! :)

I too love the towel animals & have never considered them clutter.. ;) I place them on the back of the couch each night & also would be disappointed if they were discontinued..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Last cruise [Amsterdam - Sept. 2013] I could not make out what the towel animal was supposed to be. Those probably took the steward 10 seconds. Could not recognize a thing.

That towel animal was sent to forensics. We should have an answer for you in a couple of weeks.

I like towel animals , they always make me smile...it's those darn dust bunnies I am not fond of.... for sure they won't become an endangered species anytime soon.;) Though sightings on Hal are pretty rare.

Edited by COLLEYBERRY

Having been half scared to death by a hanging monkey on one cruise, I now request no towel animals from the steward at the beginning of the cruise. If you unfold them and leave them in the room, the towels have to be washed. My way saves a little on laundry--and a lot of the room steward's time.

Having been half scared to death by a hanging monkey on one cruise, I now request no towel animals from the steward at the beginning of the cruise. If you unfold them and leave them in the room, the towels have to be washed. My way saves a little on laundry--and a lot of the room steward's time.

Actually, it only save them about 45 seconds per animal. I love the animals and wish they would do more!

OK...

I first saw them on a Carnival cruise back in 1995. HAL... back a year or two after that.

First time I saw them... a great laugh. First saw them on a HAL cruise.... OOPS! There goes the neighbourhood!

On an average.... 1,000 cabins...

Two minutes for each animal... that is to fetch carry, make then dispose of them on another day.

So.... in a whole year...

15 ships

365 days = 5,475 days

2,000 towels = 10,970,000

That is ELEVEN MILLION PIECES OF LAUNDRY!!!!!!!

2 minutes x 1,000 cabins x 365 days x 15 ships = 10,950,000 minutes

= ONE AND EIGHTY TWO THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED MAN HOURS!!!!

One steward..... 15 cabins each.... 2 minutes = 30 minutes per day

for a whole year = 182.5 MAN HOURS.... on average 10 hour days.... every steward will spend EIGHTEEN HOURS OF HIS TIME EVERY YEAR!!!!

Let us look again at those 11 million pieces of laundy...

Say that one piece of laundry costs every day and cost of water and soap etc etc.... just ONE DOLLAR per year.... would just cost $11 million

Have fun!!!! ;)

OK...

I first saw them on a Carnival cruise back in 1995. HAL... back a year or two after that.

First time I saw them... a great laugh. First saw them on a HAL cruise.... OOPS! There goes the neighbourhood!

On an average.... 1,000 cabins...

Two minutes for each animal... that is to fetch carry, make then dispose of them on another day.

So.... in a whole year...

15 ships

365 days = 5,475 days

2,000 towels = 10,970,000

That is ELEVEN MILLION PIECES OF LAUNDRY!!!!!!!

2 minutes x 1,000 cabins x 365 days x 15 ships = 10,950,000 minutes

= ONE AND EIGHTY TWO THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED MAN HOURS!!!!

One steward..... 15 cabins each.... 2 minutes = 30 minutes per day

for a whole year = 182.5 MAN HOURS.... on average 10 hour days.... every steward will spend EIGHTEEN HOURS OF HIS TIME EVERY YEAR!!!!

Let us look again at those 11 million pieces of laundy...

Say that one piece of laundry costs every day and cost of water and soap etc etc.... just ONE DOLLAR per year.... would just cost $11 million

Have fun!!!! ;)

Wow! No wonder we didn't get them while we were cruising the Amazon.

Roy

cnn-breaking-news-logo2.png

This just in, it has just been reported that the towels animals on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam have taken over the ship and are having a "wild pool party".

xnkj.jpg

pqf9.jpg

It is not yet known what has happened to the passengers.

That's hilarious! Thank you for posting that.