No more private Cabanas?

GeezerCouple

After seeing the photos of the Cabanas, we tried to reserve one for a far-off future cruise on Regatta.

Apparently, once the renovations are completed (May/June 2014), there won't be any more private Cabanas.

(And there aren't any on the Riviera, is that correct?)

I wish we had a chance to use one at least once. Or... maybe it's better that we never know how nice it was :confused:

Maybe we need to book an extra cruise before May - heh, heh...!

It "could happen", right? :)

GeezerCouple

I have to admit that I am one who objected to the cabanas ... they blocked the best views from "up top" and on our Norway cruise no one was up there because it was so FRRRRREEEEZZZZZING cold. But you also couldn't get a pic facing front from the empty cabana because of the shaded window. (I know there's a better way to phrase that but I can't come up with it! Sorry.)

Also, of course, we ourselves would never rent one! Certainly not for the whole cruise. And while I can see the merit of the cabana for someone on a warm weather cruise, for people on colder weather cruises which are port intensive, it really is NOT worth it.

It actually deprives too many people of the use of the area. If you're in the Caribbean only a few benefit. And if you are in cold areas, no one benefits. So while O got income from those warm weather cruises, maybe not from the others.

I admit my prejudice here! (Jim&Stan I think will disagree with me! And no doubt many others.) But then, we aren't "beach" people and so I want to be able to watch from there without obstruction ... and with cabanas, only a very few can have the advantage.

Mura

On all our cruises on the R ships we have rarely seen anyone use the cabanas. This may be why they were not put on the O ships and are being removed from the others. Our balcony is our private outdoor space and we love it.

Agree 100% Did not use them anyway. No great loss. Like the idea of looking forward from the top.

After seeing the photos of the Cabanas, we tried to reserve one for a far-off future cruise on Regatta.

Apparently, once the renovations are completed (May/June 2014), there won't be any more private Cabanas.

I wish we had a chance to use one at least once. Or... maybe it's better that we never know how nice it was :confused:

GeezerCouple

Friends of ours had one on a recent 21 day, warm weather cruise on Regatta. They spent every sea day (many of those) in the Cabana and loved it and the service from their server. Many of the other cabanas were also booked for the entire cruise. On the day we transited the Panama Canal, every Cabana person except one opened their curtains and allowed others to come in for pictures, etc. Big caveat though - the blue window shadings really messed with the photo opportunities.

Friends of ours had one on a recent 21 day, warm weather cruise on Regatta. They spent every sea day (many of those) in the Cabana and loved it and the service from their server. Many of the other cabanas were also booked for the entire cruise. On the day we transited the Panama Canal, every Cabana person except one opened their curtains and allowed others to come in for pictures, etc. Big caveat though - the blue window shadings really messed with the photo opportunities.

It depends on the cruise. If the cruise is port intensive then no one uses the cabanas. The cabanas on our Panama Canal cruise were occupied since almost half the days were sea days. I also concur that the blue glass messes up the pics.

Some of our cruise the cabanas were is use but the cooler weather not so much ..just like balconies

I very seldom go up there because of the stairs & no shade for those not in a cabana

I did not see any mention of them removing the cabanas during the refit where was it posted :confused::confused:

Lyn

Some of our cruise the cabanas were is use but the cooler weather not so much ..just like balconies

I very seldom go up there because of the stairs & no shade for those not in a cabana

I did not see any mention of them removing the cabanas during the refit where was it posted :confused::confused:

Lyn

This information was from a phone call to Oceania, which began with some other questions. So we are aware the information might not be correct.

I'm not surprised, however. It seems/seemed like a lot of space, and prime real estate, for just a few people to use. However, if it was available, we wanted at least to see what it was like.

Our first two Oceania cruises are still in the future, so we don't yet have a sense of the "space" (public or cabin/balcony), although it all looks wonderful and we can't wait!

GeezerCouple

We had a cabana for our entire 21 day Panama Canal cruise. It was the best bargain of the trip and we enjoyed every minute.

The canal transit day was especially nice when we were able to host two other couples for the day including lunch and bar service.

The blue tinted windows were a drawback for photos, but one only had to step outside the curtain for a totally unobstructed view.

Sorry to see them go, but feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience yet another level of Oceania's superb service!

Mura, I agree 100% and have taken a lot of flack from others for my feelings. I hated going topside and not being able to enjoy the forward view.

I am using other lines for trips that have a lot of wonderful views forward which I could not see on Oceania. Now, I am ready to change those trips back. If I was on a trip where the forward view was a non issue, then I was on O, which, of course, is my very favorite line, but if I wanted a trip where the forward view was an issue, then I went elsewhere. I am sooooo happy.

Thank you Oceania. :D

• 1 month later...

GeezerCouple

You are correct GeezerCouple, Oceania is saying ....

Spring drydocks will provide new golf experiences guests. When Regatta, Insignia and Nautica go into drydock in the spring, the Sports Deck area formerly occupied by cabanas will be converted into newly-designed 9-hole putting courses with magnificent vistas of the sea. Marina and Riviera are the only cruise ships in the industry with 18-hole putting courses.

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day Caribbean cruise on the Riviera (no cabanas, just the putting course), and we saw the putting courses on the top deck, we never saw anyone use it. The view from this area was not good for picture taking, the dark blue partition is quite high up. In addition, there is very little space between the putting course and the slanted front area below the partition, so very few people will be able to squeeze in to take photos, if at all.

With the new 9-hole putting courses scheduled for the Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, I don't believe it will make it any easier for the shutterbugs to take photos or for those wishing to stand in front while arriving to port.

We have rented cabanas full cruise for a Black Sea cruise on the Nautica, and a 21 day Amazon cruise on the Regatta. I will say that it was one of the most relaxing and pleasurable experiences of the cruise. Much more relaxing and comfortable than our private balcony chairs on the Riviera.

I am one that will be sad to see the cabanas go. I had considered booking the Insigna this summer for Europe or the fall for the Caribbean, just to have use of the cabana while on the cruise, but now I will consider another line that still has them.

A 9 hole mini golf, sounds like a poor trade in my opinion. You might want to enjoy the cabanas while they are still on the ships.

This photo is one of the last times, I will be able to treat my mother to a relaxing cabana on Oceania.

Regatta_Cabana.jpg.354066ed59c6104f26ffbf7f51e92132.jpg

I have to say that while I, for one, am happy to see the cabanas go ...

I'm equally as unhappy with a putting green as I was with the cabanas!

I wonder if there are more people who want a putting green than there are those who want a cabana ... it doesn't seem likely to me but I haven't taken a survey. Then again, I haven't seen a survey put out by O either.

Mura

While i did enjoy our cabana rental I can certainly understnad them not appreciated by those on the other side of the chain and having that view blocked

That said it will only be a partial improvement for the views removing the cabanas. As long as that blue windscreen is in place photography is greatly hampered. It would be terrific if they replaced it with clear glass.

We booked a cabana for a Panama Canal cruise two years ago, and enjoyed it immensely.

That being said, the entire deck appears to be under-utilized. I seldom see anyone playing shuffleboard, using the golf cage, etc. Since it is the highest point on the ship, the views are very good, but the area is often very windy when the ship is sailing, making it truly an area where one can "chill," depending on the itinerary. I find it to be a great area to stargaze. On our Suez Canal cruise we had a great time responding to the friendly whistles from the folks ashore and waving at the children. Seems those folks enjoy watching the tourists and ships float by.

FYI from Oceania,

Spring drydocks will provide new golf experiences for our guests

When Regatta, Insignia and Nautica go into drydock in the spring, the Sports Deck area formerly occupied by cabanas will be converted into newly-designed 9-hole putting courses with magnificent vistas of the sea. (Did you know that our Marina and Riviera are the only cruise ships in the industry with 18-hole putting courses?) Soon, our guests will enjoy, more than ever before, putting their way all over the world without ever leaving their ship!

Jancruz1

• 4 weeks later...

We booked a cabana for an 18 day Miami to Lima cruise with six sea days.

Loved the cabana it did take the new servers 2 days to figure out their service routines .. Having a phone helped. Funny that the crew closed the drapes the day we went thru the canal. We had an end cabana only one other couple booked for the whole cruise. All were full for the cabal transit.

I agrees with Mura that it is inconvenient for folks who want photos. The side rails were full on this deck and Horizions was too.