Royal Caribbean - Honeymoon pickle !!!!!!!!!

RavaRiles

Hi everyone,

I am booked on the Freedom of the seas 12th January (eastern) and have a D2 balcony cabin booked.

Today I called into my travel agent and after a bit of a chat it seems that it may be possible for me to transfer ships and cruise on the Allure of the seas (also on the 12th) instead.

I have sailed Explorer before and done quite a bit of research on Freedom and am really looking forward ( if we don't change ) to sailing on her.

We have 4 days either side of our cruise in orlando to do theme parks and water parks so the logistics of getting to the port albeit quite a drive wouldn't be to much hassle as we won't be in a rush to make flights etc.

After our honeymoon my new wife and I will then be looking to get a mortgage and buy our own house so the wonderful world of cruising may not be possible for us for quite a while.

I am more happy with the eastern itinerary that Freedom provides but I think the allure would be a holiday in itself.

My fiancée thinks that we should switch whilst I am not so sure.

Either way I love Royal and I know we will have a wonderful time regardless.

What would you do ??????

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Ian

While we enjoy Freedom class, there's nothing like Oasis or Allure. Since you can do Indy (same class as Freedom) out of Southampton during the summer, I'd make the move to Allure if the price difference is reasonable.

The wedding itself is actually all sorted ( not by me ) !!!

I am in charge of the honeymoon at least my wife to be let's me think is am !!

I really am stumped !!.

Incidentally out of interest how long would the drive from orlando ( international drive) to Fort Lauderdale be ???

My husband and I did a b2b on the Allure for our honeymoon back in 2011. It was just incredible! We have also traveled on the Freedom many times and while we love it and its a beautiful ship nothing compares to the Oasis class ships. There is so much to do and see onboard you won't care what the itinerary is cause you won't want to step of the ship. It's super simple to switch ur ship. If the price is right go for the Allure! Congrats!!

If your flights are already booked for Orlando and you switch to Ft. Lauderdale you are adding 3 hours for travel each way if you hire a car plus the added expense. Orlando and Port Canaveral are in the same vicinity - 45 to 60 minutes apart. For me, I'd stick with Freedom.

Don't forget that the Allure is having propulsion issues currently resulting in a 1 hour earlier departure from Nassau and a 1 hour delayed arrival in St Thomas (and reportedly a 2 hour earlier departure from St Thomas - which if true makes excursions to St Johns unlikely). the Allure is canceled for shipyard repair for week of 24 February 2014. Ken

It sounds like you guys have a nice start in planning your honeymoon and upcoming house purchase. I am very happy for you.

Just remember once your married and buy a house you will always need something.....lawn mower, washer and dryer, dishwasher, insurance, and money goes so quick.....................then you have to buy baby stuff:eek: (seems to always come after a new house).

Go for the Allure, you may not sea her for awhile.

Congratulations on your marriage.

Sea Ya

Don't forget that the Allure is having propulsion issues currently resulting in a 1 hour earlier departure from Nassau and a 1 hour delayed arrival in St Thomas (and reportedly a 2 hour earlier departure from St Thomas - which if true makes excursions to St Johns unlikely). the Allure is canceled for shipyard repair for week of 24 February 2014. Ken

January 12th is the Western route, which is unaffected by the problem.

As Ken mentioned, Allure is having propulsion issues and your time in the ports will be affected. I've been on both Freedom and Oasis class ships and most of the experience on Oasis class ships are all about the ship. It's a destination in itself. You will need to plan out your day's schedule for Allure beforehand if you want to attend the shows because the smaller and more popular venues (aqua show, comedy show) fill up quickly. I found the shows to be excellent! Also on Allure, there's several additional specialry restaurants that aren't on FOS.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either ship. Both Allure and Freedom are fantastic ships and you'll have a wonderful time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

As Ken mentioned, Allure is having propulsion issues and your time in the ports will be affected. I've been on both Freedom and Oasis class ships and most of the experience on Oasis class ships are all about the ship. It's a destination in itself. You will need to plan out your day's schedule for Allure beforehand if you want to attend the shows because the smaller and more popular venues (aqua show, comedy show) fill up quickly. I found the shows to be excellent! Also on Allure, there's several additional specialry restaurants that aren't on FOS.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either ship. Both Allure and Freedom are fantastic ships and you'll have a wonderful time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

AGAIN, the port times for the Western route of the Allure currently are unaffected by the azipod issue.

I haven't been on the Freedom personally, but have sailed twice on Mariner. Same size, similar ship. I am also booked on Independence, in April. I love that size ship, as far as the big ones go. I have also sailed on Oasis, because I just had to experience that class ship. Every show on Oasis, was phenominal. I may book Allure in the future, just to see her shows. However, if part of the reason you cruise, is to enjoy seeing, hearing. and watching the ocean, you can't do much of that from the "big girls". Not from the inside of the ship, at least. You have to go out, up on top, to enjoy the water. I do mean UP. She is one tall ship. We were only out up top, a couple of times during our week. It was extremely windy, and so high, it made me nervous. I couldn't stay outside long. Just giving you a heads up, on this.

Also, we're about 50 miles South of Orlando, and it still takes us around 4 hrs to drive to FLL. That's keeping close to the speed limit. LOL.

Anyway, Congratulations on your coming Wedding. May you enjoy many wonderful years together. On our April cruise, we will celebrate 52 yrs of marriage. :eek:

Edited by GranysT

RavaRiles, I see on your profile your interest is football. Are you a red or a blue? Either way, did you plan it that you'd be back in Liverpool for the derby at the end of January or is that happy coincidence?

In May we spent three days in Liverpool - our third time to the city. Love it!

Have done both Freedom and Allure and I'd stick with Freedom. While your price may be the same, do you really want to rent a car, drive 3-4 hours each way, risk delays? It's your honeymoon....relax, stick to your plan. Freedom is a fantastic ship. Cruise director Richard Spacey and Activities Manager Katie Turner are the funniest pair in the whole fleet.

Just read the above post, about Richard Spacey being the CD on Freedom. That would cinch it for me, 110%. Richard was CD on my very first RC cruise. He is the best of the best. Full of high energy, and so much fun. Makes me want to book on Freedom, just to see him again.

Wow !!! Thanks everyone I can see that opinions are quite varied.

Going to call back in to the travel agent tomorrow and get some more info and check cabin availability, It's nice to get varied opinions on something that regardless of what we do it will be great anyway.

Have been reading a few reviews about the itinerary that allure does and no one seems to like Falmouth Jamaica much as a stop.

One thing that also attracts me to freedom is st maarten love maho beach and the planes !!!

Thanks for your input everyone still can't decide !!!!

Cheers

Ian

First and foremost congratulations to you and your bride to be.:)

If you like the eastern itinerary then I would stick with that. If you don't have a set schedule yet in St. Maarten check out Bernard's tour. The trip last about 6 hrs and they take you all over the island included Orient and Maho beach. I want to say it was around $40 pp and well worth it. Great reviews going back for years

Regardless what you decide to do have a great time and again Congrats

We had our honeymoon on Oasis and it was amazing! There are so many things to do and the shows were great.

I did like Falmouth Jamaica, we did the Dunn's River Falls excursion. I think for people who have been to Jamaica many times already there is a feeling that there is not much to do in the actual port, but I think it has been improving with more things added recently including a Margaritaville.

RavaRiles, I see on your profile your interest is football. Are you a red or a blue? Either way, did you plan it that you'd be back in Liverpool for the derby at the end of January or is that happy coincidence?

In May we spent three days in Liverpool - our third time to the city. Love it!

Hi, yes i am a big liverpool fan actually going to miss the first merseyside derby next week as I am on my stag party ( bachelor party I believe you call it ) in Munich next weekend glad you enjoyed liverpool.

Kind regards Ian