Interesting, And Little Known, Delta Perk

kitty9

We were on a flight today with a layover in Atlanta. While waiting for them to bring my scooter up to the jetway, I saw a couple open the door that leads to the outside stairway, walk down the steps and get into a car that was right there. I've never seen that before and the pilot was waiting right behind me, so I asked if I saw correctly. He looked at me and said "Sure, you saw right". I asked if they were some celebrity or whatever, and he said "Delta provides that service to their very special customers. If they have a short connection, they are picked up on the Tarmac and swiftly taken to their gate. I don't suppose you saw that the car was a Porche SUV?" I did see that, but again I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

So, I wonder. How many frequent flyer points do I need to qualify for the Porche???

Edited by kitty9

More points than you could possibly imagine. We're talking multiple worldwide trips each year in paid first class (not business) for years on end. I travel...a lot...and I know I'll never see it. But trust me, it's certainly not a "little known" perk to us frequent travelers...it evokes jealousy on a regular basis ;)

So, I wonder. How many frequent flyer points do I need to qualify for the Porche???

At least diamond status, or 125,000 qualifying miles per year. We've had the Porsche treatment once, in Atlanta. At the time we were double diamonds because of the rollover.

Beyond diamond there's now Delta 360, for the true HVC (high value customers). Not us. ;)

At least diamond status, or 125,000 qualifying miles per year. We've had the Porsche treatment once, in Atlanta. At the time we were double diamonds because of the rollover.

Beyond diamond there's now Delta 360, for the true HVC (high value customers). Not us. ;)

Exactly. You dont need tons of intl first class tkts a year. Diamond status plus not having too many of them at any given time plus a little luck. They also started this i n Mineapolis and elsewhere recently.

The Porsche program in Atlanta is way over a year old, maybe two.

They use a sedan, not the Porsche racer. In Atlanta the cars are white and without markings.

The service is available now in Minneapolis and New York's JFK for now with new airports to be added, but the service may not be by Porsche like that offered in Atlanta.

My status is so low, they will use the luxury car to push me out of the way!

Yep, big time VIP$$$$$.

However, in Frankfurt, Lufthansa takes their international first class pax from the International First Class Lounge to their planes via Mercedes Limo.

This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the op's post. ;)

Of course foreign (non US based) airlines do tend to treat their high end (and to an extent all) pax waaaaaay better then the US based airlines do. There are reasons why Singapore air, Cathay Pacific, Thai airways etc etc are always near the top of the airline food chain while our airlines are nowhere to be found.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

Got the Porsche "shuttle" once at ATL. From the E gates to T, which gave me lots of time to enjoy the ride. Upon leaving door 1L on the plane, there was a very nice lady with a sign, like the ones held by limo drivers at baggage claim. She opened the door (where gate check bags process), and it was down to the ramp.

Nice Porsche Cayenne. She popped open the hatch, put the carryons into the back, then opened the door in back. I asked to sit up front for a better view.

Only one thing wrong with having that experience.....I want it AGAIN. And AGAIN. And AGAIN. :mad:

And, to explain the Porsche connection: Porsche North America is HQed in Atlanta. Sorta like why you get Coke onboard DL flights. Of course, there's a flip-side story on why you get Pepsi at Marriott hotels. But that's for another time.

I work for a large service organization (don't want to get into too many specifics) and one of our clients is a major airline. They offered a level of status I'd never heard of (beyond the usual top tier) to the people in my company who were working closely on the account. I looked it up and it sounded like you got that kind of treatment. Because of company rules about possible conflicts of interest, they turned it down.

So, there may be people who get that treatment without all the actual flying.

So, there may be people who get that treatment without all the actual flying.

Yes. Those who are significant "influencers" are given those perks. A corporate CEO who flies the company jet, yet can direct where hundreds of employees fly on contract basis. Company heads of travel are highly courted.

Bet that in your mind, you are kicking those who wrote those COI rules. Just a wee bit when stuck in a long line somewhere.

Bet that in your mind, you are kicking those who wrote those COI rules. Just a wee bit when stuck in a long line somewhere.

I wasn't one of the people offered that perk! I wouldn't have accepted it even without COI rules- my work involves a lot of judgment which could go either way for the client and I wouldn't want even an appearance of being influenced by something nice they did for me.

This has happened to us in Frankfurt while connecting on a Lufthansa flight. Apparently it is not an unusual occurrence for Lufthansa at this airport.

We are not celebrities, in fact we were travelling on an economy class rewards ticket. It was not a perk...two other couples were picked out as well.

Edited by iancal