Why on earth are cruise ship drinking cups so small?

beachnut2011

Funny, hubby and I were just discussing this on the cruise we just took.

For juice at breakfast I wish they had smaller glasses. If I do have juice I drink about 1/3 of what they pre-pour in those glasses. Its wasteful.

For coffee I wish they had large mugs too, especially in the MDR where they have those little tea cups!

For me, the drink glasses are just right for everything else.

I guess they can't have everything for everyone. :p

Seriously? :confused:

Who would want to take home one of those plain, cheap, cabin glasses?

I can't imagine people actually accidentally or other pack those crummy glasses. :eek:

Remember, you are posting on a site frequented by some people who feel entitled to smuggle liquor on board because the ship charges too much, and who will line up to remove auto-tips, because they "...want to personally reward only those who actually provided service...".

The cruising universe is populated by all sorts - wino demonstrate all sorts of "unimaginable" behavior.

I find that the glasses provided are adequate for my needs. However I agree that they don't keep things cold long enough. I have an insulated mug that I bring to use when I am out on deck.

If someone needs to have a Big Gulp sized container at their sides at all times, then they should bring one with them.

Remember, you are posting on a site frequented by some people who feel entitled to smuggle liquor on board because the ship charges too much, and who will line up to remove auto-tips, because they "...want to personally reward only those who actually provided service...".

The cruising universe is populated by all sorts - wino demonstrate all sorts of "unimaginable" behavior.

Exactly!

[quote=navybankerteacher;

Which reminds me of a posting on one of HAL's boards, a few years ago.

The story was that a single lady, on a two week cruise always ordered a full dinner in her room each evening.

Her luggage was searched as she left the ship, revealing full dinner services for twelve!

It must have been heavy.:)

john

Thought I would start a thread on the size of cruise ship drinking cups. It appears all ships are the same! If enough support, maybe they will get the hint and increase their size.

Cruise's are great but I do get tired of getting up & refilling my drinking glass 3 or 4 times. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

We bring 52 oz bubba kegs.

We bring 52 oz bubba kegs.

Folks with serious thirsts (or with comparably serious aversion to getting up now and then) should wear those 100 ounce Camelback hydration packs which serious cyclists wear- fully loaded they come to about 8 lbs or so, but considering that the users could remain sedentary, that shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've seen... the drinking glasses in the buffet are 6 to 8 oz. Probably closer to 6 oz.

A normal drinking glass is about 12 oz.

When we eat out and have ice tea or soda with our meal, we normally get 1 to 2 refills. This would mean we drink at least 24 oz. of tea or soda. Probably closer to 30 oz.

Just my opinion... their glasses are too small. We normally use 2 glasses each to avoid getting back in line. This means they are cleaning twice as many glasses just for us. This also adds extra cost to the cruise line.

From what I've seen... the drinking glasses in the buffet are 6 to 8 oz. Probably closer to 6 oz.

A normal drinking glass is about 12 oz.

When we eat out and have ice tea or soda with our meal, we normally get 1 to 2 refills. This would mean we drink at least 24 oz. of tea or soda. Probably closer to 30 oz.

Just my opinion... their glasses are too small. We normally use 2 glasses each to avoid getting back in line. This means they are cleaning twice as many glasses just for us. This also adds extra cost to the cruise line.

According to Google . The standard water glass is 8oz . Soda and other type drinks vary from 6 oz to almost 15 oz.

Personally, I don't really care what size the cups or glasses are. I've never had a problem getting refills in the DR or in the buffet (except on NCLA, but that's a different story). :)

anyone who needs many refills of that size is probably going to burn out his/her kidneys.

Actually you are probably more likely to damage your kidneys by drinking too little than drinking too much.

I drink a LOT of water during the day. In the past, I have always been thirsty.

Excessive or constant thirst can be a symptom of serious illness.

Ships move & liquids slosh -- smaller cups/glasses mean less spillage & less mess when things get bumpy.

I like this answer.....

As for myself, I am fine with the current size...and if I want more, it's never a problem to get it. And as a bonus, refilling means that the liquid is hot or cold as intended...a larger cup lasting longer, will lose its ideal temperature after a while....

Regarding spillage in rough water. At least with a normal size glass (the ones we have at home are 12 ounces) you can put eight ounces of water or whatever in it and prevent sloshing. With a tiny glass, you are limited to what, a couple of teaspoons?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I, for one, do not need larger cups, plates or serving portions.

I think there is a difference between a larger cup for water or mug for tea than overeating. I agree that most portions tend to be too large, but it makes me crazy to have to refill my water glass 12 times a day or chew through six tea bags every morning because the cups and mugs are ridiculously small.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I for one appreciate that the cruise lines have not succumbed to the "Big Gulp" and "Super Size" mentality that seems to be so pervasive in society these days.

I am amazed that some people think it is such a big deal that they may have to get up and refill their cup when it runs out?

Isn't it obvious - Ex New York Mayor Bloomberg must be a major shareholder in all the major cruise lines.:D

I fund it amusing, to say the least, that people will bring their own mega cups with them. We've had threads recently about bringing your own pillows, bringing your own disinfectant wipes, beach towels, sodastreams, etc. Not to mention bringing your own booze. Geez, if I wanted to have all my own stuff for the week I might as well stay home.:rolleyes:

Isn't it obvious - Ex New York Mayor Bloomberg must be a major shareholder in all the major cruise lines.:D

I fund it amusing, to say the least, that people will bring their own mega cups with them. We've had threads recently about bringing your own pillows, bringing your own disinfectant wipes, beach towels, sodastreams, etc. Not to mention bringing your own booze. Geez, if I wanted to have all my own stuff for the week I might as well stay home.:rolleyes:

I do bring my refillable water bottle when I travel so I don't have to contribute to the worlds landfills with plastic bottles. In my mind at least that is very different than a soda stream or any number of other things people want to bring along.

To be honest I never even noticed the cup sizes and the coffee was way too bad to even manage more than a cup. I did however notice that it would do some fellow passengers some good to get up off their butts now and again, so smaller cups equals more walking ...all good in my book :D

To be honest I never even noticed the cup sizes and the coffee was way too bad to even manage more than a cup. I did however notice that it would do some fellow passengers some good to get up off their butts now and again, so smaller cups equals more walking ...all good in my book :D

It annoys me to no end to have to get up three times during my meal to refill my water cup--and I can assure you that I have no need to get any additional exercise, as I typically work out 15 hours per week--sometimes more.

I drink a LOT of water during the day. In the past, I have always been thirsty. My last cruise, I brought my 32oz Bubba. I had our steward leave ice and would use that to fill my Bubba. Worked well for me.

Obviously, I do not know you, or even who you are. I was simply stating that "being always thirsty" might be a danger sign, I did not attempt to proclaim any diagnosis, arm chair or otherwise. I made my statement with the hope that, if you had not already discussed this constant thirst in the past you might do so in the future. Having been encouraged to drink plenty of water is not the same as being always thirsty. My own health care provider has recommended that I drink plenty of water, but I am not always thirsty.

Which reminds me of a posting on one of HAL's boards, a few years ago.

The story was that a single lady, on a two week cruise always ordered a full dinner in her room each evening.

Her luggage was searched as she left the ship, revealing full dinner services for twelve!

It must have been heavy.:)

john

Hope she was properly embarrassed:o