The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

It's pretty easy to say something is unfair. How about suggesting a system you think would be fair and let everyone critique it?

It's pretty easy to say something is fair too.

Especially when it's 'fairer' to a situation that benefits you.

As for your last request, I hadn't seen anyone put forward their own alternative so perhaps you would like to start that since you raised the suggestion?

It's pretty easy to say something is unfair. How about suggesting a system you think would be fair and let everyone critique it?

Agree. I never said that the new system was fair, just fairer than the old system. Of course to some it is going to seem unfairer depending on their perspective.:D

Agree. I never said that the new system was fair, just fairer than the old system. Of course to some it is going to seem unfairer depending on their perspective.:D

Of course it's fair to those who have benefited from the change or at least have maintained their place in the plan but to those who have been left behind unwittingly or otherwise .... it stinks. I don't dislike Celebrity, in fact we quite like them or we wouldn't be returning next month for a b/b but this has left a sour taste in my mouth and I really don't believe that is the purpose of a loyalty plan.

It's pretty easy to say something is fair too.

Especially when it's 'fairer' to a situation that benefits you.

As for your last request, I hadn't seen anyone put forward their own alternative so perhaps you would like to start that since you raised the suggestion?

I never said I thought it was fair. I have thoughts about how they could have handled it, but I also know that it doesn't matter because no matter what they did or what I (or anyone else) suggest, somebody will be on the edge and call it unfair. I was truly interested in seeing what other folks might consider fair. As far as my thoughts, I think it would have been a better approach to either:

• implement it in 3 - 6 months
  • allow people inside penalty phase to cancel and get a refund (in my opinion, this would have been the most "fair")
  • count cruises for x months under the old scheme (this is the trickiest because wherever they cut it off there would be a storm on "unfair" claims)

What I do think was fair is that they tried to level the playing field a little by not giving the exact same credit to a 3 or 4-day cruise in an inside cabin as a balcony cabin on an 11-day cruise. I absolutely understand why people feel a bit slighted and almost without exception, posters say Celebrity should have done a little more (enough to improve their personal outcome) without regard to the next person in line who would still be on the edge.

I also think it is fair to make it a little more difficult to reach levels with significant perks because a business that gives too much away will either have to stop doing that or go out of business. It's a far better business decision to try to design a sustainable program rather than making multiple changes. Just look how much crap they are getting over this change. Celebrity has all the statistics needed to determine profiles of cruising and spending to design the program that they think benefits the most people (including Celebrity and let's face it, they are a business).

Of course it's fair to those who have benefited from the change or at least have maintained their place in the plan but to those who have been left behind unwittingly or otherwise .... it stinks. I don't dislike Celebrity, in fact we quite like them or we wouldn't be returning next month for a b/b but this has left a sour taste in my mouth and I really don't believe that is the purpose of a loyalty plan.

Looks like you are a loyal Princess cruiser...Celebrity...not so much. It's difficult to have a sour taste in your mouth when you haven't had anything to eat.

It's certainly more fair than "no system" which is really all they are obligated to do :D

Tom

I never said I thought it was fair. I have thoughts about how they could have handled it, but I also know that it doesn't matter because no matter what they did or what I (or anyone else) suggest, somebody will be on the edge and call it unfair. I was truly interested in seeing what other folks might consider fair. As far as my thoughts, I think it would have been a better approach to either:

• allow people inside penalty phase to cancel and get a refund (in my opinion, this would have been the most "fair")
  • count cruises for x months under the old scheme (this is the trickiest because wherever they cut it off there would be a storm on "unfair" claims)

What I do think was fair is that they tried to level the playing field a little by not giving the exact same credit to a 3 or 4-day cruise in an inside cabin as a balcony cabin on an 11-day cruise. I absolutely understand why people feel a bit slighted and almost without exception, posters say Celebrity should have done a little more (enough to improve their personal outcome) without regard to the next person in line who would still be on the edge.

I also think it is fair to make it a little more difficult to reach levels with significant perks because a business that gives too much away will either have to stop doing that or go out of business. It's a far better business decision to try to design a sustainable program rather than making multiple changes. Just look how much crap they are getting over this change. Celebrity has all the statistics needed to determine profiles of cruising and spending to design the program that they think benefits the most people (including Celebrity and let's face it, they are a business).

I think they should have offered a time period without penalty to cancel those reservations that were after full payment time, if the cruisers wished to cancel because they didn't like the new program. I would not have given a time period to take cruises, because then you will have another whole group complaining nor would I give credit for booked cruises (paid for or otherwise), because there again you just open up another can of worms.

I think if they offered a penalty free cancel time, I think it would have been a win win for them, because I don't feel that many would have cancelled their cruises. Too many threaten, even though they have no intention of cancelling, they just feel Celebrity will given in to them if they threaten to cancel.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Looks like you are a loyal Princess cruiser...Celebrity...not so much. It's difficult to have a sour taste in your mouth when you haven't had anything to eat.

Oh, come now, surely you can do better than that.

If you had been following the thread, after our two upcoming cruises we would have been one 7 day cruise in Concierge from Elite with the revised program we are 21 days away.....a 200% swing....sour taste you bet I have one and ridiculous remarks like yours don't make it any better.

Well my goodness, I guess they should have given me credit for the 5 cruises I already had booked, then I'd be one away from Zenith. How silly. I guess we can all decide what's ridiculous.

Just enjoy the cruises. Extras are nice but not the be all and end all.

Edited by Ma Bell

I think they should have offered a time period without penalty to cancel those reservations that were after full payment time, if the cruisers wished to cancel because they didn't like the new program...

I guess the old program was working better than they thought it was if so many cruisers were booking cruises just to advance. Perhaps they shouldn't have made any changes at all.

Personally, I can't see booking a cruise just to advance. I've always viewed the program as more of a "thank you" for booking Celebrity as opposed to a reason to book in the first place. We sail Celebrity because we like the cruises overall (despite my complaints from time to time) and because of people we want to sail with who also cruise Celebrity.

So, from my perspective, I couldn't imagine either booking a cruise just to get points nor cancelling one because of a program change. But I guess we all have different goals and motivations. To each their own.

I think they should have offered a time period without penalty to cancel those reservations that were after full payment time, if the cruisers wished to cancel because they didn't like the new program.
I could sign on to this, with the proviso that the cancellers promise to never cruise Celebrity again.

I guess the old program was working better than they thought it was if so many cruisers were booking cruises just to advance. Perhaps they shouldn't have made any changes at all.

Personally, I can't see booking a cruise just to advance. I've always viewed the program as more of a "thank you" for booking Celebrity as opposed to a reason to book in the first place. We sail Celebrity because we like the cruises overall (despite my complaints from time to time) and because of people we want to sail with who also cruise Celebrity.

So, from my perspective, I couldn't imagine either booking a cruise just to get points nor cancelling one because of a program change. But I guess we all have different goals and motivations. To each their own.

I agree, just to book a cruise for points - not my style. I've been Select for sometime and haven't used one perk and when I become Elite (after my next cruise), there are only two I'll use (laundry and internet), but if I couldn't get either, it would still be a great cruise.

I don't think many would have cancelled, I think a lot of it is "all talk and no action" trying to guilt Celebrity into caving in.

I have thoughts about how they could have handled it, but I also know that it doesn't matter because no matter what they did or what I (or anyone else) suggest, somebody will be on the edge and call it unfair. I was truly interested in seeing what other folks might consider fair. As far as my thoughts, I think it would have been a better approach to either:

I agree with your points.

At its heart, as I view it now as a rewards program rather than a loyalty program (since sailing in a suite does not make you more loyal than a balcony), I'd view the fairest way of operating the new program as being based on dollars spent. Then you don't have the situations where people can pay double or even greater variations for the same cabin on the same cruise, yet get the same points.

However, that would appear less desirable in a marketing sense to promote, so may be why they've used what they have.

As has been said, it's their call entirely as to how they run it. My comment on the previous page was that the new program doesn't represent loyalty, and doesn't fairly weigh the new categories, so can't be called fairer. Both the old and new programs adjusted for length and cabin grade, just the earlier one did it to less specificity than the new one.

If the goal was to base it on dollars spent, then to be fair it would need to measure that, instead of relying on this proxy which doesn't fairly measure that either.

I guess some would like the George Orwell quote : All animals are created equal but some are more equal than others.

I book Celebrity and other cruise lines and yes I do enjoy the nice perks from Celebrity and others. Just off Royal Caribbean Independence of the Sea and really enjoyed the Diamond/Diamond Plus evening function.

I will use my crying towel as we are about 2 cruises away from Diamond Plus and about 2 cruises away from Elite Plus, both on their own. :roll eyes:

Thanks Celebrity! As you don't have to do anything.

That taste in your mouth is sour grapes. And you really don't have a good reason for it. I don't believe anyone actually benefited from the change. At 47 old credits, I was well into the Elite level with NOWHERE to go. Under the new tier system, I got exactly what I deserved, just like you. And I now have a place to go from here. What I don't understand is why you're still bothered by your status. You haven't demonstrated a consistent pattern of "loyalty" yet. It does appear you are on the right track, seeing you have Celebrity cruises booked.

• count cruises for x months under the old scheme (this is the trickiest because wherever they cut it off there would be a storm on "unfair" claims)What I meant but didn't say, was booked and at least deposited

I think they should have offered a time period without penalty to cancel those reservations that were after full payment time, if the cruisers wished to cancel because they didn't like the new program. I would not have given a time period to take cruises, because then you will have another whole group complaining nor would I give credit for booked cruises (paid for or otherwise), because there again you just open up another can of worms. And, as clarified in my quote, I would have limited that option to booked with money down (although this isn't the option I would really have suggested, just a possibility that has been mentioned by several people)

I think if they offered a penalty free cancel time, I think it would have been a win win for them, because I don't feel that many would have cancelled their cruises. Too many threaten, even though they have no intention of cancelling, they just feel Celebrity will given in to them if they threaten to cancel. Agree 100%

I think we are pretty much in agreement (with a clarification on what I meant).

I think the optimum would have been to implement it after the first of the year and give the option to cancel any cruise that was in penalty phase (but open that window for only a month or so). But nobody in charge asked my opinion.

I agree, just to book a cruise for points - not my style. I've been Select for sometime and haven't used one perk and when I become Elite (after my next cruise), there are only two I'll use (laundry and internet), but if I couldn't get either, it would still be a great cruise.

I don't think many would have cancelled, I think a lot of it is "all talk and no action" trying to guilt Celebrity into caving in.

I don't think people were booking cruises just to advance but they certainly expected to having had booked them. In addition, some people (myself included) upgraded to Concierge explicitly to gain the additional tier credit that would have taken us to Elite. I have never thought of cancelling my cruise but have considered going back to the Balcony cabin. As the system changed it is all moot now.:D

I think we are pretty much in agreement (with a clarification on what I meant).

I think the optimum would have been to implement it after the first of the year and give the option to cancel any cruise that was in penalty phase (but open that window for only a month or so). But nobody in charge asked my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't have minded getting the credit for the cruises booked with full payment made.:D