What's the advantage of checking in online for a cruise?

newlaxfan

Checking in on line will take you twenty minutes. Immagine all twelve hundred passengers taking twenty minutes each to register that information while you are standing in line behind them.

On line check in also serves as a check list to make sure you have all your ducks lined up, current valid ID, passports and credit cards.

We usually take advantage of on line check in as soon as the reservation pops up on the HAL website. When we arrive at the pier, the boarding process is a snap.

As the time gets closer to your cruise, you will keep getting e-mails from HAL reminding you to complete your online information.

You need the Boarding pass to get through security -- many ports will ask you to show your boarding pass before you even enter the doors to get inside the terminal.

You can either print out your luggage tags or fill them out once you get to the pier.

Homeland Security requires this of all cruise ships no matter what cruise line you sail on.

Our first cruise on Princess was before on-line check in. I remember long snaking lines and holding tight onto what seemed like a book of paper and then when we finally got to the desk in Ft. Lauderdale I held my breath until everything was stamped and we were sent on to our next line. It seemed to take forever.

When we did online check-in at home with HAL I tried to hold my breath at the port but it was over too fast and I didn't have a chance!

That, in a nutshell, is the difference.

It helps to speed up the check in lines.

Also, the info can be submitted to Homeland Security, then once again prior to departure. If there's someone the government may be interested in, they may be waitng for them upon their return.

It takes me a while to gather all the info they ask for, like passport numbers, flight info, who to notify in case of an emergency and their address. I wouldn't want to be standing in a line at the pier to do that.

Reminds me, I think I'll do that tomorrow for my upcoming January cruise.

I like it because it gives me a "wooby". Having your boarding pass is like a wonderful little security blanket! I look at mine over and over again and just smile. (and it seems that no matter how many cruises I go on, that little boarding pass always makes me smile!) It is amazing how much joy can be wrapped up in one little piece of paper!!!!:)

It takes me a while to gather all the info they ask for, like passport numbers, flight info, who to notify in case of an emergency and their address. I wouldn't want to be standing in a line at the pier to do that.
Before the OnLine CheckIn they used to send a paper form weeks in advance in the "pleather" pouch. I think few people waited until the pier to fill all that out, unless they accidentally left it at home or lost it en route. Edited by jtl513

How do you print off your luggage tags? Do you buy special sticky paper for that? That's the thing that made no sense to me.

After you complete online check-in, click on luggage tag. Print as many as you need. Use regular printer paper. DH folds the tags, uses clear packing tape to reinforce them. If we're flying to embark port, we don't attach the tags to luggage until after we get to the hotel. Any front desk will gladly let you use a stapler. If we're driving, we attach tags before leaving home.

If you happen to forget the tags, don't fret. Porters at the pier can supply them also.

After you complete online check-in, click on luggage tag. Print as many as you need. Use regular printer paper. DH folds the tags, uses clear packing tape to reinforce them. If we're flying to embark port, we don't attach the tags to luggage until after we get to the hotel. Any front desk will gladly let you use a stapler. If we're driving, we attach tags before leaving home.

If you happen to forget the tags, don't fret. Porters at the pier can supply them also.

Oh, ok. Weird. I'm used to the more airline-style tags from Disney. Those they send to you in advance (but also have them at port in case you forget them.)

HAL used to send nice 'pleather' travel packets that included luggage tags but they stopped doing that some years ago. We now have to do all our own printing. A big win-win for HAL. No postage costs, no printing costs, no labor...... :)

HAL used to send nice 'pleather' travel packets that included luggage tags but they stopped doing that some years ago. We now have to do all our own printing. A big win-win for HAL. No postage costs, no printing costs, no labor...... :)

Just tags that seem far less sturdy - and IMHO more tacky. I think I'll wait on those until the port. I don't want them on my bags flying to Seattle, and I don't want to have to travel with packing tape.