Anyone Remember the "Song of America?"

grab007

Our first Royal Caribbean ship: Honeymoon Feb 1984.

Before we booked (living in South Florida) we were able to board 2 NCL ships to have lunch and a Fruity Drink. Then we boarded the Song of America!

We had a great lunch and the Fruity drink. The whole atmosphere was different, compared to the others. We booked that day. Hooked on Royal ever since.

Funny- the biggest ship back then, then got bigger (sovereign) Voyager, Freedom and Oasis. It's kind of a let down when cruising the smaller ships after the Oasis.

Great memories...Thanks

I took my first RCCL cruise on the Song of America out of LA to the Mexican Riviera in January of 1993, I think. We liked the ship but found the Scandinavian decor somewhat dated. We had good times with our tablemates. The most memorable aspect of this cruise was what happened to us in Cabo San Lucas. We had rented a jet ski, but it stalled when we were somewhat far out. We could not get it started, and we were stranded. We were panicking as the time for the last tender approached. Finally, a couple out on the Zodiac from their yacht happened by and towed us back to the beach. Our tablemates were waiting for us on the beach, as panicked as we were. All in all it was a good cruise, but it was a while before we went back to RCCL.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

We also sailed on the Song of America on April 5th, 1987 out of Miami for our honeymoon. We have fond memories of that ship and RCCL. We have 27 cruises on RCCL and they keep getting better each cruise. We just got back from the Independence and had fun visiting Labadee again.

Things change quickly. We saw her as the Thomson Destiny just over 2 years ago in Europe. The name "Song of America" could still be seen under the coat of white paint under her current name at the time.

Wow. That's kind of eerie.

My heart will always be with m/s Song of America. My first cruise in 1986. The service was unbelievable. Food was excellent. Wish cruising could be of the same caliber today. Remembering the Ship Shape Program. Really, it is the customer service and ship layout that I am missing on cruises these days. Also wondering why Royal Caribbean can not add this voyage to my past cruise credits. :o

My heart will always be with m/s Song of America. My first cruise in 1986. The service was unbelievable. Food was excellent. Wish cruising could be of the same caliber today. Remembering the Ship Shape Program. Really, it is the customer service and ship layout that I am missing on cruises these days. Also wondering why Royal Caribbean can not add this voyage to my past cruise credits. :o

I have plenty of Ship Shape Certificates, both old and new styles, and a Vitality Rewards coupon.

They aren't worth anything now but they sure were fun to earn at the time.

Love reading about everyone's great memories from Song of America!

She was my first RCI cruise too. When I met Brian, he had been on 12 RCI cruises, including Sun Viking, Nordic Prince and Song of Norway. I had been on several cruises on other cruise lines. I am so glad he suggested Song of America for our first cruise together; I often thank him for introducing me to Royal!!

We cruised on Song of America on the last year of her being part of RCCL. on the Mexican Riviera. The ship was beautiful. As a matter of fact, we did not cruise RCCL until now in January. I had to send a photo of us getting on the Song in order to get the points for C&A. We have the magnet on our fridge after all these years. Unfortunately, I can not find the photos of that cruise, they must be in one of the boxes of slide boxes in the basement, this was pre-digital days.

March of 1996...we sailed the Caribbean and I loved how you could dock right in town everywhere you went! But I like all the amenities on the newer ships better. Those older ships were built on the "lounge" model, and I was never much of a drinker, and got bored of that quickly. The newer ships are now built with many different kinds of entertainment areas to appeal to a wide range of cruisers in addition to people who enjoy socializing in lounges. (fitness and spa, ice rinks, ball courts, shopping promenades etc)

• 2 months later...
I have talked to someone at Crown and Anchor recently and they said they have no records of anybody that had cruised way back then but if I had a photo that seemed to prove we were on the ship they would gladly add it to our cruise points. We have a gangway picture with the ship name in the picture in our wedding album and I will take a cell phone picture of it before our next cruise and visit the help desk on the ship and see if I can get it added. The lady on the phone said this would work.

Anyone know just what year be did begin to keep records?

• Like 1

October '87. Miami, Labadee, San Juan and St Thomas. There were 100 of us newlywed couples, one family and the rest were mostly over 60. Captain would blame rough seas on us newlyweds. We were at a table with the "Golden Girls". The workout room was small, and the activity area was less than half of a basketball court. Do miss the extravagant mid-night buffets.

I will always remember Song of America! It was my very first cruise back in 1990.

And the rest, as they say, is history! I became addicted to cruising and have been having lots of fun on ships.

It is surreal that so many have great memories of their first cruise.

Mine too was 1991 on the SOA so this thread gives me a great feeling

Mine came after a long recovery from a back injury and was a gift cruise just to get away. I wasn't in postion to cruise again for a few years but now try to go a couple times a year. I have tried other lines but came back to Royal and that is just because of the Song of America.

It is surreal that so many have great memories of their first cruise.

Mine too was 1991 on the SOA so this thread gives me a great feeling

Mine came after a long recovery from a back injury and was a gift cruise just to get away. I wasn't in postion to cruise again for a few years but now try to go a couple times a year. I have tried other lines but came back to Royal and that is just because of the Song of America.

My honeymoon was in November, 1983, on Song of America. I have wonderful memories and will always be sentimental about THAT cruise :)

My DW (new DW back then) and I took a seven day Bermuda cruise on the Song of America from NYC back in September of 1993. We were new to cruising and were in awe of the ship. At the time, we docked right on Front Street in Hamilton. I fondly remember the beautiful beaches, the evening horse and buggy rides, and Bermuda's lovely scenery. The ship's dining venues and entertainment were outstanding. I also remember the trap shooting off the deck which is sadly a thing of the past. We have been on several cruises since, but the Song of America hold a special place in our hearts.;);)

Next cruise: Grandeur April 19, 2014

She was our first as well. Christmas cruise 1987, Eastern Carribean with stops in San Juan Puerto Rico, St Thomas, and Labadee. Some real fond memories...the guy with the chimes announcing "The Madam Butterfly dining room is now for your dining pleasure", the midnight gala buffet... Best of all, on returning to our cabin on Christmas Eve along with the regular turndown and chocolates on our pillows there was a rather large Lladro figurine on the bed with a message wishing us a Merry Christmas! I still have that figurine, and every time I look at it it reminds me of that trip.