Anyone Remember the "Song of America?"

grab007

1 hour ago, HotWood2 said:

Song of America, just found out, lol was my 2nd cruise, my honeymoon, 1985. Wish I could remember the itinerary.

Sure do.  I sailed on her in July of 1987.  Ships sure have evolved since then.

• Like 1

Song of America was called 

Sun cruises Sunbird in 2003 and 2004 when we got on her for our first and third cruise.

We loved the crows nest which was accessed from outside and was quiet most of the time because people did not know it was there.

Graham.

• Like 1

The Song of America was my first of 18 (soon to be 19) cruises with Royal/Celebrity.  I went with my grandmother in the fall of 1991 (and, yes, I got Crown & Anchor credit for it).  I remember thinking that the ship didn't seem that fancy, but still had a really great time.  My grandmother and I got along really great, and it was a perfect vacation for the 2 of us to take.  We ate at a big table, and there was a very nice young couple my age who was there on their honeymoon, and I hung out with them a bunch and we kept in touch for a couple of years afterwards.

I earned my Ship Shape T-shirt and had it for many years.  I remember having to work for it harder than I expected and thinking how cool it was doing early morning yoga on the large, aft teak deck.

I remember there was a lavish Midnight Buffet that felt really exotic.  Actually, everything felt really exotic, because I had never been to the Caribbean before.  I thought the Crown Lounge was really cool and special (even though it pales in comparison to anything you would see on a ship today).

I remember choosing this voyage over the newer Monarch because this one had a stop at Labadee, which I was really curious about.  Unfortunately, there was political unrest in Haiti, and that stop was replaced with an additional sea.

The cabin was small - the twin beds were in an L (one length wise and the other horizontal under the porthole).  The bathroom didn't have a separate shower stall or tub - a nozzle and a drain and the water went all over the bathroom if you weren't careful.

All in all, a great time.  I get wistful and excited whenever I see it under its new name.  I saw it with my wife and kids as the Thomson Destiny in Barbados and under the Celeystyal brand in Rhodes.  Happy memories that still have me cruising on RCCL 31 years later!

• Like 1

My first cruise, my first honeymoon (still friends though divorced). I believe June 84. So different back then, no records to be found either. Sat with a group of couples, costume party (they provided stuff for you to have to make a costume), the room was tiny inside and it was expensive (maybe because we were young and pretty poor teachers that had to fly from NJ to fla), lots of dress up dinners, one night there was a chocolate buffet, love and marriage game show was funny (still is)......

Love hearing all of the memories. We did San Juan and St Thomas, can't remember if there was another port though.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Yes I was the first Technical Assistant (DJ for Disco and Lights and Sound Technician for the Cruise Line 1985 my 1st Ship "Song of Norway", then moved to "Song of America" 1986 I was 30 years old then now I'm 68.

IMG_9813.jpg

003.jpg

016_002.jpg

049_002.jpg

067.jpg

980ff11508.jpg

3739fcd.jpg

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

Img_1629.jpg

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

• Like 6

Yup still remember that ship. I'm one of those who was on the Song of America, when the ship caught fire on 11-8-88, got a free cruise after the cruise had to be cancelled & went back to Miami. Saw Cozumel twice, the rest of the ports didn't see. After the fire, the next night, all the guests referred to the ship, as Flame of America an some suggested havin a reunion cruise, but nothin ever came of it. Still remember the fire, no one was hurt, seems like a long time ago, now.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Yup still remember that ship. Sailed on her three times. I'm one of those who was on the Song of America, when the ship caught fire on 11-8-88, got a free cruise after the cruise had to be cancelled & went back to Miami. Saw Cozumel twice, the rest of the ports didn't see. After the fire, the next night, all the guests referred to the ship, as Flame of America an some suggested havin a reunion cruise, but nothin ever came of it. Still remember the fire, no one was hurt, seems like a long time ago, now. 

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This thread might be one of the oldest brought back to life.

CC usually has a 7 year limit to post in a thread (then they usually lock for read only) but this one is being resurrected occasionally to prevent that.

• Like 1

She was our first cruise, it was our honeymoon in April of 84. We walked on and went Wow - look at this ship, it's huge LOL. who knew that we'd see ships the sizes they are now. We are Diamond Plus on royal, been cruising ever since our honeymoon and we still love it! We figured out that you can fit 4 Song of America size ships into the Icon 

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we were at a charity fundraiser, browsing, and came across a big framed poster: Ship of the Year, '85, Song of America, Royal Caribbean.  Nice photo of the ship, at an unnamed port.  We bought it, and it is hanging in our hallway in all its glory.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2013 at 10:23 AM, Trainman-2 said:

My first cruise was on the song of America...

Ours also 1996 out of New York to Bermuda 

As a side note we sailed out of Bayonne through super storm Sandy..........good times!

Edited by seeing the sights
add
  • Like 1

Glad I found that old resurected thread- I am quite fond of a little walk down memory lane. I saw S of A. quite a few times, when docked next to her. My first big ship was the then brand new Grandeur of the Seas- and I have the fondest memories of that wonderful ship. Stunning views - lot´s of glas- wonderful connection to the sea. Unfortunatley the Royal Ships these days are no longer the vocused on that- so many lounges - bars indoors- no view or window at all. Prommenade Decks that do not deserve that name. Thanks for posting this little video with that wonderful song of the live of Song of America.

• Like 2

Was our first cruise also Aug 88,  can't remember the itinerary  just remember it was the Caribbean. 

Funny story behind this trip my husband planned the whole thing to surprise  me for our anniversary.   The surprise would have been horrendous had it gone the way he planned.  He was going to tell me about it a couple of days before the trip, but thank goodness some women he worked with told him he better give me more time. He ended telling me 3 weeks before and I  spent the next 2 weeks trying to figure out  what you should wear on a cruise and shopping.

After that one I  was hooked for life.

• Haha 1

Happy New Year on the Song of America (way, way, way back when!) 😄

LOL Tuxes and cowboy hats - holidays were extravaganzas on ships back then!

(And BTW before someone yells about hats in the MDR, the hats were off while dining, and only put back on for the picture lol)

image.png.04f4eef01ccf4c0a6ea35db2b6d1d550.png

I remember staff in a different version of those red and white striped outfits posted above also on the Song of Norway - maybe on "America the Beautiful" night?

image.png.889b7bf2ac9534dc03bd446b01e03e69.png

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 10:11 PM, DJ Carl said:

Yes I was the first Technical Assistant (DJ for Disco and Lights and Sound Technician for the Cruise Line 1985 my 1st Ship "Song of Norway", then moved to "Song of America" 1986 I was 30 years old then now I'm 68.

IMG_9813.jpg

003.jpg

016_002.jpg

049_002.jpg

067.jpg

980ff11508.jpg

3739fcd.jpg

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

Img_1629.jpg

IMG_1643.JPG

IMG_1644.JPG

Song of America, 1989, out of Miami, my second cruise after Nordic Prince 10 day out of Miami.

I love the picture in your Ship Shape Yellow T-shirt that you earned with Shipshape activities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Song of America, 1989, out of Miami, my second cruise after Nordic Prince 10 day out of Miami.

I love the picture in your Ship Shape Yellow T-shirt that you earned with Shipshape activities.

I still have a bunch of Shipshape Dollars, both the older ones and the newer ones, to spend.  🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1