Where Were You on November 22...50 years ago

mamaofami

I was 8 years old and home sick from school with the flu, in Toronto. My mother was ironing and we were watching I Love Lucy together. Lucy was interrupted with the news and I remember my mother getting very upset and starting to cry. I guess I didn't quite understand the impact of what had just happened. I was more upset that Lucy was interrupted.

I was in the De La Salle Christian Brothers Chapel in Glencoe Missouri waiting to go to Confession. I was a novice in the order at that time.

Regardless of party it was a terrible day and I think it took the nation many years to get over this terrible event. I think our nation lost its innocence that day.

Edited by Himself

I went to the store-did some other running around today...I was amazed when a young lady clerking asked ME why people were talking about 50 years ago today all day.

I asked her why she asked me and she said I looked old enough to know what they were talking about.

I think, for many, especially younger people, JFK is history-before their time history. Not something they can relate to like those of us who were -at very east-alive even if we were in primary school. For those of us who were adults then it may be even more significant as we can feel the loss-the reality of losing a president so many of us had our hopes for a peaceful world- in our hearts

I was just over 2 yrs. old. I remembered President Kennedy because the grown ups talked about him. I knew he was important. I remember when he died we went to my great grandmother's house to watch TV. She had a round fabric ottoman that I thought was fun to play with. While watching TV (I remember scenes of an airplane with stairs) my great grandmother sternly told me "don't be so rambunctious, don't you know our President is dead?". I felt very bad and will never forget that day. I was 2 years old!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was in fifth grade and on the playground. The teacher came running up and gathered us all inside for prayers. Class was dismissed and we were quickly sent home. I, too, remember it like yesterday, even though I was probably only around 10 years old.

I was in college (Univ. of Houston) in my dorm room, studying between classes. Someone ran down the hall telling everyone the news. I remember being devastated, sobbing uncontrollably. I remember the phone ringing, I could hardly answer. It was my former boyfriend, one of the kindest people I've ever known, checking to make sure I was OK. I can still remember his kind voice calming me down.

There was only one TV in the whole dorm. Several of us got together and drove the two hours home, where we were glued to the TV for the next several days.

I remember everything as clearly as if it had happened yesterday. The innocence of life in America was lost forever that day. I do think that one of the valuable lessons I learned during those terrible days was "grace in the most difficult of circumstances" exhibited by Jackie Kennedy.

My political viewpoints have changed over the years, and today I may not support all of his policies, but to me, JFK was America! We took a hit that day, and it is the saddest day of my life.

I was on the old two lane highway between Ellensburg & Cle Elum, WA. Firmly imbedded in my mind. Deliverilng gas for Petrolane and could not quit or would have had a lot of cold people looking for my hide while they watched TV & Radio freezing in the cold with out their heaters.

Edited by caltnl

I was 10 and in the 5th grade and my teacher received a knock on the door from the Principal. She went out to talk to him, and came back in with tears in her eyes and tears running down her cheeks. She told us the President was killed in Texas, that someone had shot him. This little chubby boy that sat across the aisle from me leaned over and said to me "I'll bet it was the Commies!!". That comment seems somewhat comical now, but at the time, the Soviet nuclear threat was in full swing. I will never forget it. Total shock is the only way I can describe it. I felt the same shock all over again when I heard Princess Diana had died in that horrible accident, when JFK Jr's plane went down, and in 2001 when I learned of the tragedy in NY, PA, and DC on 9/11.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

I was 10 and in the 5th grade and my teacher received a knock on the door from the Principal. She went out to talk to him, and came back in with tears in her eyes and tears running down her cheeks. She told us the President was killed in Texas, that someone had shot him. This little chubby boy that sat across the aisle from me leaned over and said to me "I'll bet it was the Commies!!". That comment seems somewhat comical now, but at the time, the Soviet nuclear threat was in full swing. I will never forget it. Total shock is the only way I can describe it. I felt the same shock all over again when I heard Princess Diana had died in that horrible accident, when JFK Jr's plane went down, and in 2001 when I learned of the tragedy in NY, PA, and DC on 9/11.

I was just turning a year old when JFK was shot. My birthday was the day of the funeral. Ironically the same day as JFK JR.

My mom thought the same thing. She thought some Russian or Cuban did this and we would have another war and my dad would have to go. Like you said at the time it was a very real threat . just the first thing she thought of after the initial shock of hearing the news.

Well I was on a ship....not a cruise ship. I was in the barbershop of the USS Constellation CVA64. We were docked in Oakland,

California. We had a black and white TV in our crew quarters and we watched the goings on whenever we could. I do remember watching the funeral.:(

I was just turning a year old when JFK was shot. My birthday was the day of the funeral. Ironically the same day as JFK JR.

My mom thought the same thing. She thought some Russian or Cuban did this and we would have another war and my dad would have to go. Like you said at the time it was a very real threat . just the first thing she thought of after the initial shock of hearing the news.

Yes, it was a real threat at the time. I remember even in early grade school doing the "duck and cover" drills in case of nuclear attack. Talk about traumatizing small children! Sheesh!