Disadvantages of upgrade to Aqua class?

BobbyD

Thanks to all of you for your great feedback. Since this is our first Celebrity cruise, I think we will want to get the feel of the line by dining in the MDR. We are a party of 4 with a wide variety of food tastes so that seems like it would be our best option, at least for this first cruise. I am curious to see what the Celebrity cruise experience feels like compared to Royal and Carnival. This applies to the shipboard experience as well as MDR. I know it will be different but I am excited to see the differences, both positive and negative. Either way, I know that we are going to have a great time and perhaps will be hooked on Celebrity and will try the Aqua class on another occasion.

There are larger tables in Blu. You can have a table for four at almost anytime. While it's usually done by putting two 2-tops together, there are a couple of round tables for four. While I don't remember large rounds on the S-Class, on the Infinity there were some round tables for eight. If you want to have a group, check with the maitre d' ahead of time to make a reservation.

We loved AQ and Blu and have booked it for our Med cruise next summer, but I do have to say that not all posters here agree with us. Some don't like the rather unique menu, some miss the chance to join a big table with others which generally is not done in Blu. Some others miss traditional dining with the same waiters every night -- you can certainly request the same waiters in Blu but their station may be filled, I don't think they allow passengers to reserve times or tables. We also enjoyed the Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Room. Here is a link to some Blu menus for those who are considering it:

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

I do have to say that it's not all about the food, the atmosphere is more intimate than the MDR and the service seems more attentive.

This happened to a neighbor on the same cruise we were on.

Only Disadvantage to the upgrade was that they fell in love with AQ, Blu and the Persian Garden, and can never see themselves going back to a regular veranda. Nice problem to have. Depending on the routes, AQ may not cost much more and is worth every penny, but for prime routes, it is an expensive upgrade. As you can read on the Reflection AQ Value thread, opinions differ, but we love AQ :) Enjoy.

You just about summed it up!! :D

Yes, AQ can eat in the MDR in the Select Dining area, though arrange it in advance. Although it is "open seating", at popular times a reservation helps or you will wait or be turned away.

There is also a sea day buffet when you can eat in the MDR. You can eat with others in Blu IF they too are AQ. If not, speciality restaurants are a good choice.

Blu has a number of four tops, or more, if reserved in advance. As in a land restaurant, tables can be moved. Some people complain the standard tables for two are close together. I feel they are a perfect distance if you wish to talk to your neighbors or if you wish to ignore them. One week there was a Suite Patriach and his entire family down to a number of young children every night at 6pm sharp. They had a table for 12 or 14 and were done by 7:30, when it changed back to twos. If you like one waiter, arrange for that section with the Maitre'd every day. (I would book the time at breakfast) They have without exception worked magic if you have a special request and ask in advance (same with food...Blu having its own kitchen makes that possible).

We have only done SClass 1 week Caribbean sailings, and tuxes were more like 20%, than 80% in Blu. DH took a tux only for our 25th anniversary week. A navy blazer other weeks, mainly because ship can be cool at night. The silky polos/Hawaiin shirts were popular. For the one week cruises taken to relax and get some sun, "country club casual" look seemed most common to me.

As to cabin locations, AQ is far from the "worst" location on the ship. OP indicated he knew location mattered. Luckily we have Library Lady's amazing spread sheet to know which AQ are noisy (there are a few under the gym and cafe). There entire aft section is surrounded by cabins in all directions, and the amount of sun depends on route, time, etc.

Thanks for all the information. Decision still needs to be made but Aqua looks pretty good to me.

We booked aqua last year mainly for the thermal spa, with Blu being an after-thought. We absolutely loved Blu on the Equinox. We were a party of four and most nights showed up at 6:00 - 6:30 and were seared at one of the few 5-top rounds. The tables were near the entrance but we all liked the location. I can see where some might not like the location though. We especially loved breakfast in Blu. Very casual atmosphere in the AM and such efficienct service

So, to sum it up, this time we booked Aqua for Blu, not for the thermal spa perk

Our traveling companions, however, said they would not be inclined to do AQ again. The food was very good, some things more adventurous, but overall, we loved it. Drink service was very good too. We never had to wait for anything!.

Edited by 4cats4me

We had a group of six, all aqua and they would not take any reservations on the infinity. There were only two tables for six. It was a problem on three or four nights. Four is easier.

Yes, you can eat in the mdr, but not always in select. Ask the maitre d how they are handling it on your cruise.

IMHO the tables are not too close but it's easy to talk to those next to you, if you want.

Menu is generally good and they will modify dishes within reason. Like the mdr, there are 14 menus and if you cruise often, it can get boring. This is also true of the mdr.

We dislike the ongoing rush of waiters, bus boys, the warm not hot food and the general noise level in the mdr. We only book aqua now....it makes the cruise much more enjoyable..for us.

I gave AQ a try again last month and though I'm still not a fan, I'd say that formal dress vs smart casual was about 50/50 so I don't think you'd feel out of place no matter which way you'd choose to dress. Maybe because this was a 15 night cruise people dressed up more? Though I was surprised that this longer cruise seemed to have a younger demographic than most of the other longer Celebrity cruises.

This is kind of a crazy question. Assuming that I can upgrade from a 2A cabin on the Silhouette to Aqua class for the same money, and assuming I am fine with the cabin location, are there any disadvantages in doing this? Is there a reason not to do this? This is my first time on Celebrity so any information/advice from experienced Celebrity cruisers would be appreciated.

For the same money and being fine with the cabin location, just upgrade.