Disadvantages of upgrade to Aqua class?

BobbyD

This is kind of a crazy question. Assuming that I can upgrade from a 2A cabin on the Silhouette to Aqua class for the same money, and assuming I am fine with the cabin location, are there any disadvantages in doing this? Is there a reason not to do this? This is my first time on Celebrity so any information/advice from experienced Celebrity cruisers would be appreciated.

This happened to a neighbor on the same cruise we were on.

Only Disadvantage to the upgrade was that they fell in love with AQ, Blu and the Persian Garden, and can never see themselves going back to a regular veranda. Nice problem to have. Depending on the routes, AQ may not cost much more and is worth every penny, but for prime routes, it is an expensive upgrade. As you can read on the Reflection AQ Value thread, opinions differ, but we love AQ :) Enjoy.

Edited by Janet987

This is kind of a crazy question. Assuming that I can upgrade from a 2A cabin on the Silhouette to Aqua class for the same money, and assuming I am fine with the cabin location, are there any disadvantages in doing this? Is there a reason not to do this? This is my first time on Celebrity so any information/advice from experienced Celebrity cruisers would be appreciated.

You will eat in Blu instead of the MDR, unless you request to move. Blu does not have formal nights like the MDR, but I've heard enough people still dress formally on those nights that if you want to, you can without looking out of place. Blu is also 2 person tables unless you request to be combined with someone else. In the MDR you would probably be seated at a specific dining time with a group of people that you would get to know over that week (unless you chose select dining). If you are counting on that experience, then that could be a disappoint with AQ.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. But my only expertise is doing lots of research prior to our first cruise and choosing AQ over a std balcony.

You will eat in Blu instead of the MDR, unless you request to move. Blu does not have formal nights like the MDR, but I've heard enough people still dress formally on those nights that if you want to, you can without looking out of place. Blu is also 2 person tables unless you request to be combined with someone else. In the MDR you would probably be seated at a specific dining time with a group of people that you would get to know over that week (unless you chose select dining). If you are counting on that experience, then that could be a disappoint with AQ.

Other than that, I can't think of anything. But my only expertise is doing lots of research prior to our first cruise and choosing AQ over a std balcony.

We are sailing Aqua class for the first time next year. My Husband was totally excited to not carry a heavy dress jacket and all the 'trimmings' . I am now wondering if we would feel out of place on Aqua on formal noghts if we dressed casual. Any thoughts??

We are sailing Aqua class for the first time next year. My Husband was totally excited to not carry a heavy dress jacket and all the 'trimmings' . I am now wondering if we would feel out of place on Aqua on formal noghts if we dressed casual. Any thoughts??

I can tell you that we are in AQ and my husband is not even bringing a jacket. He hates to dress up. :rolleyes: On another thread, someone said on their sailing, in Blu, less than half were dressed formally. That tells me that the majority are not dressed formally. Of course, we will be in the Caribbean on the Summit, where I hear it is pretty warm on the ship. I'm guessing that even if a lot of guys wear their jackets in, they are removing them quickly anyway to the backs of their chairs, so who cares. Just my opinion. :)

Totally agree with Janet987, after 7 cruises in Aqua, we went in a Concierge cabin on Connie last autumn, what a disappointment. Some do not like the Aqua/Blu concept, but having been cabins ranging from insides to suites, Aqua takes some beating!

Richard

My husband and I enjoyed our AQ class cabin on the 11th deck rear. The rear veranda's offered a great view and were a bit bigger in size (especially the ones in the center). We were in 1133 on the end - our only little issue was the second hand smoke occasionally from the outside bar on deck 10 - very minor though. Blu was excellent - we enjoyed the tables for 2.

Depends on the location of the AQ cabin. Some don't like the large overhang of the cabins in the middle of the deck.

Some at front can be under treadmills, at the rear under the buffet area. In the middle some complain about the noise from the deck chairs.

AQ passengers are also charged extra per day in gratuities.

Blu is anytime dining with no reservations. You may have to wait in line a few minutes to be seated and will not always have the same table or be sitting next to the same people.

If you are a late sleeper you may miss breakfast there as it closes around 9 or 9:30.

You asked so I tried to find some.

.🎄🎅

We have done two cruises in Aqua and it has been a mixed bag on formal nights. There are usually quite a few passengers (including moi) that dress-up for dinner in Blu and there are also quite a few that dress smart casual. Your level of comfort is a very personal thing. Some folks enjoy being among the best dressed...and others could care less. As has often been said, you will probably never see these people again :)

Hank

Just remember it is "Smart Casual and above" not "casual". There is a difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been spoiled by Aqua class on three Solstice class cruises. Booked

For two additional aqua class cabins on converted ships, Constellation and

Infinity, hope they live up to the Solstice class ships.

Smart casual in Blu is great. We're traveling to French Polynesia on the Pacific Princess in March- they are so antiquated that they have 3 formal nights and don't have a Blu. While they have some itineraries that are interesting, and

Great laundramats, the last Princess cruise we were on had horrible menu's

and badly prepared food. After spending 35 years in the foodservice industry,

my comments to the corporate head of foodservice at Princess was for him to resign.

Enjoy Aqua class and Blu.

Just got off our first Oceania cruise on the Nautica last month and we prefer Aqua Class on the S class ships. Eating in Blu was on par or better than Oceania. Cabin was much nicer( who cares about the overhang- how much sun do you need?) Much more to do on the ship. Far cheaper too. My opinion.

We've been spoiled by Aqua class on three Solstice class cruises. Booked

For two additional aqua class cabins on converted ships, Constellation and

Infinity, hope they live up to the Solstice class ships.

Smart casual in Blu is great. We're traveling to French Polynesia on the Pacific Princess in March- they are so antiquated that they have 3 formal nights and don't have a Blu. While they have some itineraries that are interesting, and

Great laundramats, the last Princess cruise we were on had horrible menu's

and badly prepared food. After spending 35 years in the foodservice industry,

my comments to the corporate head of foodservice at Princess was for him to resign.

Enjoy Aqua class and Blu.

Interesting. I traveled on Princess a short time ago and one of my tablemates had been the head of food service for HAL for 22 years. He found Princess to be way above his ex employer. I am no expert, but after 17 cruises on Princess and two on Celebrity I find them very close.

As already stated the only disadvantage is that you will never want to go below Aqua again. We will be doing our 4th Aqua next wk. We do dress for dinner and my DH is taking his Tux for formal nights. It has been our experience that at least 80% (give or take) of gents will be in either a tux or dark suit.

We enjoyed Blu, with the exception that they don't have a big table that can be used for say 4 groups of 2. Most folks sit at tables for 2.

We enjoy dining with different people some evenings and eating on our own on other evenings which is why we don't book a fixed dining time. We are considering Aqua but, if I'm reading this right, it seems we would not have the option of joining others. Is this correct? Also can Aqua class travelers eat in the MDR if they wish?

We upgraded to AQ class last year on the Inaugaral Cruise of the Reflection because of a price drop after final payment. The only negative was the location of the room. We were the second room from the front of the ship and could observe the activity in the front control platform of the ship (as they also could see in our room!!) I think they spent most of the time reading the Owners Manual LOL . We enjoyed all the other perks except the Persian Gardens which we think is overrated!!!!:):):)

Hello all,

We just booked our first Celebrity cruise on the Constellation in a AQ. So I'm curious about BLU. Is there a charge?

Not for you, because you are booked in AQ.

AQ class passengers are entitled to eat breakfast and dinner in Blu whenever they wish at no charge. Blu is the official assigned dining room for AQ class passengers, and it is the primary reason why many passengers choose AQ class.

The charge that has been discussed previously is only for suite passengers, who get the option of eating in Blu on a space available basis.

On some cruises suite passengers were charged a $5 fee to eat dinner in Blu, while on other cruises they were not.

We enjoy dining with different people some evenings and eating on our own on other evenings which is why we don't book a fixed dining time. We are considering Aqua but, if I'm reading this right, it seems we would not have the option of joining others. Is this correct? Also can Aqua class travelers eat in the MDR if they wish?

Yes, AQ can eat in the MDR in the Select Dining area, though arrange it in advance. Although it is "open seating", at popular times a reservation helps or you will wait or be turned away.

There is also a sea day buffet when you can eat in the MDR. You can eat with others in Blu IF they too are AQ. If not, speciality restaurants are a good choice.

Blu has a number of four tops, or more, if reserved in advance. As in a land restaurant, tables can be moved. Some people complain the standard tables for two are close together. I feel they are a perfect distance if you wish to talk to your neighbors or if you wish to ignore them. One week there was a Suite Patriach and his entire family down to a number of young children every night at 6pm sharp. They had a table for 12 or 14 and were done by 7:30, when it changed back to twos. If you like one waiter, arrange for that section with the Maitre'd every day. (I would book the time at breakfast) They have without exception worked magic if you have a special request and ask in advance (same with food...Blu having its own kitchen makes that possible).

We have only done SClass 1 week Caribbean sailings, and tuxes were more like 20%, than 80% in Blu. DH took a tux only for our 25th anniversary week. A navy blazer other weeks, mainly because ship can be cool at night. The silky polos/Hawaiin shirts were popular. For the one week cruises taken to relax and get some sun, "country club casual" look seemed most common to me.

As to cabin locations, AQ is far from the "worst" location on the ship. OP indicated he knew location mattered. Luckily we have Library Lady's amazing spread sheet to know which AQ are noisy (there are a few under the gym and cafe). There entire aft section is surrounded by cabins in all directions, and the amount of sun depends on route, time, etc.