Urgent...19 year olds booked without an over 21 year old going.

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here. My son and his best mate, both 19 have booked to do a New Zealand cruise in early December in their uni break and have both paid in full with an online agent. No problem until today he received an email to print his boarding pass and it says that anyone under 21 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin......as its just the 2 19year olds how has his booking managed to get to 2 weeks out from travel and this not been picked up? Has anyone had this problem or traveled without an over 21 year old? Thanks :)

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here. My son and his best mate, both 19 have booked to do a New Zealand cruise in early December in their uni break and have both paid in full with an online agent. No problem until today he received an email to print his boarding pass and it says that anyone under 21 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin......as its just the 2 19year olds how has his booking managed to get to 2 weeks out from travel and this not been picked up? Has anyone had this problem or traveled without an over 21 year old? Thanks :)

Prepare your son for a disappointment. I have never heard Royal allowing two non-married 19 year old young men go alone. You might be able to get a refund out of Royal, but even that is debatable (I don't know if there are rule down under that would allow for a refund). Their rules are pretty clear, and they will more than likely say something about it being their fault for not reading the fine print.

You may have some recourse against the TA who booked it. The TA should have known they would not be allowed to go. Best of luck to you.

Don't panic

Now 18 year olds can book their own cabin without any one over the age of 21!!!

Being on the ship.

This applies to Europe, Australia and New Zealand and I think South America. The only place you have to be 21 is North America and Canada.

I believe this changed last year.so I thought I would check it out on Royals site

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

Edited by kimberley

It is best if you include a link to the information so it can be verified.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?faqId=309&pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqSubjectId=333

Royal changed this policy last year (I believe). They can sail alone, but will not be able to print their set sail pass. They will have to do that at the pier.

Just out of interest I looked at Carnival's site, their limit is 21 unless it's a married couple.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544381

So I guess in the US you're a legal adult at 18, can vote, join the military and die for your country but you have to be 21 to buy a drink or book a cruise with Royal. How dumb is that :(

Edited by pspercy

Kimberley seems to be correct.

RCCL Website

Onboard Policies

Q:

What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy? A:

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

Just out of interest I looked at Carnival's site, their limit is 21 unless it's a married couple.

So I guess in the US you're a legal adult at 18, can vote, join the military and die for your country but you have to be 21 to buy a drink or book a cruise with Royal. How dumb is that :(

Just a guess but since most of the cheap, short weekend cruises are based out of the US they are looking to reduce the number of partying college students on board. They still do allow 18 year olds on board by themselves, they just have to be married. Classic case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

As I am in Australia when I search RC it goes to their Australian site which shows this. Stating 21 but seems the international site shows 18.....strange.

Guess we'll have a fight on our hands will have to wait for their office to open and make a call. Thanks all :)

Q:* What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A:* No Guest younger than age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult of twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status (required).

As I am in Australia when I search RC it goes to their Australian site which shows this. Stating 21 but seems the international site shows 18.....strange.

Guess we'll have a fight on our hands will have to wait for their office to open and make a call. Thanks all :)

Q:* What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A:* No Guest younger than age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult of twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardans in

connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status (required).

This info is out of date. I only found out because my neice who lives in Sydney booked a cruise she is 19!!! I asked her to make sure they ad changed it and they definitely have

Hi,

They should have their money returned since it was clear that no one over 21 was on the booking. It never should have gone this far. :confused:

Quote: A: Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

Didn't see this before my post. There shouldn't be a problem, have fun.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

Frankly I think it's brilliant, not dumb. Never in my life have I known a group of 18 year olds to get together to go vote and end up behaving badly and hurting themselves or others or damaging property in the process. Likewise, I've never driven by a military base and seen a group of 18 year old recruits just wreaking havoc for the fun of it. But a bunch of 18 year olds, unaccompanied, on a spring break cruise or a graduation cruise? Really? That's another thing entirely. I don't blame the cruise lines one bit for having that rule, and you can bet I'd steer clear of any cruise that didn't have it.

This info is out of date. I only found out because my neice who lives in Sydney booked a cruise she is 19!!! I asked her to make sure they ad changed it and they definitely have

Thanks Kimberley, their phone system is experiencing delays and just cuts you off. So I have sent an email and will print off the reply hoping it is 18 minimum age.

Frankly I think it's brilliant, not dumb. Never in my life have I known a group of 18 year olds to get together to go vote and end up behaving badly and hurting themselves or others or damaging property in the process. Likewise, I've never driven by a military base and seen a group of 18 year old recruits just wreaking havoc for the fun of it. But a bunch of 18 year olds, unaccompanied, on a spring break cruise or a graduation cruise? Really? That's another thing entirely. I don't blame the cruise lines one bit for having that rule, and you can bet I'd steer clear of any cruise that didn't have it.

I totally agree meg. Understandable for group bookings of young under 21's but sad when all youngsters are stereotyped as young fools wanting to run a muck. These two are great young men, ones a law student and the other an engineer just about to head into the army as an officer. Great kids who are amazing in their community and have been raised with respect for people and property. Yes there are youngsters who are trouble but also many who are awesome young people. Shame the bad ones make it hard for the many good ones.....guess that's the society we live in. Sad but true.

I see your point. However they are declared legally adult at 18. Then, if they misbehave they will face the consequences as appropriate, just like any other adult. To try and refine it, fine tune it, is just silly, it's saying they're not really adults at all - so the 18 thing was just vote grubbing politicians' work.

Edited by pspercy

Just a guess but since most of the cheap, short weekend cruises are based out of the US they are looking to reduce the number of partying college students on board. They still do allow 18 year olds on board by themselves, they just have to be married. Classic case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone.

IMO, typically, "partying college students" means drinking. However, in order to check in and board, you need to show valid ID which would confirm your age. If you are under 21 your SeaPass card will be tagged to identify that so that you won't be able to purchase alcohol on board. So unless the underage college students are able to smuggle alcohol on board, the partying college students won't be able to party very successfully. And during spring break cruises in particular, the security at check in looking for smuggled alcohol typically is tighter. I realize some booze can be smuggled on board - not my point - I guess I'm not so sure that this is the reason for the 21 age rule.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

In the U.S. the age of majority at which a person can legally contract depends upon state law. Although in most states it is 18, there are some states where a person must be older. The different rule applicable to sailing may well have more to do with whether such a contract would be binding than a fear about misbehavior.

I'm cynical enough to think that the requirement of travelling with a 21-year-old is to create an obvious and clear means for the under- person to have obtained the booze that they weren't supposed to have, and thereby make it that much harder to convince a court that the ship was in any way responsible for the subsequent problems, if any.

But I also believe that the Air Force tests experimental aircraft at Area 51, so I'm already way out there in the conspiracy circles... :D

In the U.S. the age of majority at which a person can legally contract depends upon state law. Although in most states it is 18, there are some states where a person must be older. The different rule applicable to sailing may well have more to do with whether such a contract would be binding than a fear about misbehavior.

I thought of that as well, here's a list I found, only MS specifically says 21 tho' quite a few others say 18 or date of HS graduation :eek:

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Age_Majority_by_State

Your own post stated it was Carnival's policy, also. Why single Royal out as being dumb and not Carnival? :confused:

Your own post stated it was Carnival's policy, also. Why single Royal out as being dumb and not Carnival? :confused:

Both, tho' Carnival does at least recognize married couples under 21, nevertheless it's still idiotic, you're an adult at 18, can get a mortgage etc ... but ... except not really ... only if ...