Princess shampoo rumor

generichandle

I've always enjoyed the eucalyptus soap and products. Hope Princess doesn't decide to replace the eucalyptus soap bars with cheap smelling soaps like Royal Caribbean had. Their soap bars smelled like pesticide and stunk up the room.

Seriously, to me it was THAT bad. Was made in China, too

Edited by 4cats4me

Cruise ships are not hospitals and refillable soap dispensers have been in wide use in a variety of businesses and will remain so.

If you don't want to use it, bring your own.

Mike:)

I will bring my own - thank you very much;)! Yes cruise ships are not hospitals, but they are filled with elderly, immunocompromized people. And more and more dispensers are the bag-in-a-box for refilling -- much better and not all that expensive.

Not only does Princess save money because the bulk packaging costs less than many small containers, they will save even more money because many people will not use it.

...And the helpful Stewards will not be giving away bag fulls of bottles. Better inventory control, but it does seem like more choices (dispensers) could be used to maintain what appears to have been a quality item at a lower cost.;) I have not seen the dispensers so I am not sure how much room they take up in an already small shower.:p

Not only does Princess save money because the bulk packaging costs less than many small containers, they will save even more money because many people will not use it.

Always funny how different people react.

I hate the eucalyptus shampoo and always bring my own, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Maybe now I'll use theirs (and I have a lot of hair) and cost them a bunch :)

My in-laws (on the same ship, different floor) absconded with all the extras. In spite of them being 1 percenters they always strip all such amenities. It's been years since they bought their own shampoo, soap, lotion, shower caps, sewing kits, creamer, sugar, sweeteners, or anything else they can stuff in a purse or pocket.

Not sure what a "1 percenter" is, but I got a good chuckle because I sort of do the same thing. :p I don't take creamer, sugar or sweetener, but I do take hotel room or cruise cabin amenities that are mine because I've paid for them! I like the nice thick round bars of soap from Princess and usually take several of them home with me. They're very long lasting and a nice size.

When on the Crown in July, I took some showers in the women's locker room at the spa. They had dispensers in them with shampoo, conditioner and shower gel. I liked them and, frankly, they smelled better than the eucalyptus bottles. It's fine with me to use a dispenser, but I'll have fewer goodies to take home. ;)

A friend of mine recently retired from a VP Procurement position, for a major international hotel chain.

He told me the hotels/cruise lines expect and want customers to take home the soap, shampoo, etc. that they provide (but not the towels :-).

Not sure what a "1 percenter" is,

One percenters are those with more than enough money, in the case of "bikers' it has a very bad meaning. Those are the only two references that I know of so take your pick on this one. LOL;)

Edited by Holomoku

I have not seen the dispensers so I am not sure how much room they take up in an already small shower.:p

Aloha "Sailor"!

I don't bring a tape measure on vacation but the Royal's shower seemed to be larger with a small step on the opposite side from the removable shower head. The 2 pump bottles are easily accessible above the step & don't really affect the room in the shower. My wife loved using the step to make shaving her legs much easier. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

One percenters are those with more than enough money, in the case of "bikers' it has a very bad meaning. Those are the only two references that I know of so take your pick on this one. LOL;)

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I'm definitely NOT in the first classification and hopefully not in the second if it has a bad meaning. But I still don't feel bad for taking the toiletries home.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Astro Flyer,

So how is it you know Hawaiian? Whoops let's not hijack this thread, but I do hope that in the drydocks that Princess adds a foot rest to the showers. That was one of the things I found very comfortable on the Celebrity Sostice. If anyone on the Sapphire right now or recently can tell us if it has the dispensers or the bottles, that would be nice?:confused:

Astro Flyer,

So how is it you know Hawaiian? Whoops let's not hijack this thread

No hijacking from our Kihei 'hale'...:p

It's doubtful the step would be added in other ships but it would be good to have it added. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Me too - won't use their shampoo - it's horrible on my hair. But, my sons and DH like the bottles of just shampoo, no conditioner.

Does anyone know what the Sapphire has now? Dispenser or bottles?

Hi, we disembarked the Sapphire on November 16. Had individual bottles and most of the Elite amenities.

Tricia

Just off the Sapphire with Tricia. Tricia do you remember the thongs on the outrigger in Bora Bora? WooHoo! Sorry off topic. Anyway we were on Lido deck and they installed the unfilled dispensers the first week we were on board. By the third week they were still empty and one day we returned and the only thing that was there was the holder…they had taken the bottles. I thought perhaps they were being filled and would show up but after 28 days they never made there debut. We had to be careful not to hit the holder when we were in the shower.

Edited by Carolina Cruisr

I'm really not picky about shampoo, but I can't stand "body wash." Sounds like that is what is going to be provided. Easy enough to pack a bar of Ivory soap. Ivory is great; it removes every bit of oil from your skin.

I had the pump & the tube of body wash plus a bar of soap...3 options was enough for me. ;)

I'm really not picky about shampoo, but I can't stand "body wash." Sounds like that is what is going to be provided. Easy enough to pack a bar of Ivory soap. Ivory is great; it removes every bit of oil from your skin.

Just ask your cabin steward for another bar of soap to use in the shower.

I was on the Pacific in September and on the Crown earlier this month. Both still had the bottles of eucalyptus shampoo, conditioner and lotion, and shower gel (the latter usually only available to suite and Elite passengers).

I have never had eucalyptus scented bar soap on any of my Princess cruises ..... IMO the bar soap is very nice quality and is almost odorless.

I have a big problem with this. Being an infection preventionist, these types of dispensers are not allowed in hospitals. Why? Because these types of containers are continually refilled or "topped up" and they become contaminated. Yes bacteria can grow in soap! If the dispensers are allowed to empty and cleaned and dried before being refilled, that prevents the chance of contamination. But that procedure is not going to happen on a ship.

I won't be using them and I almost want to be a rebel here and say we should all dump them out at the end of a cruise in protest - no money saving there.

I understand it's a win-win for Princess. Environmentally they aren't using all of those little plastic bottles and the cost for just the refills of the containers has to be much lower.

I've stayed in hotels with the containers and they gross me out.

In the past I've used the Princess shampoo and conditioner as back-ups to what I bring but now I'll make sure to bring enough of my own!

I'm glad they still have bars of soap!

I understand it's a win-win for Princess. Environmentally they aren't using all of those little plastic bottles and the cost for just the refills of the containers has to be much lower.

I've stayed in hotels with the containers and they gross me out.

In the past I've used the Princess shampoo and conditioner as back-ups to what I bring but now I'll make sure to bring enough of my own!

I'm glad they still have bars of soap!

I like the soap, so I use it. I never liked the other stuff, so always bring my own. I also carry my own shower gel and Soft Soap (which I prefer to regular soap) On long cruises I need an extra wheelie just for my "stuff." :D

I've always brought my own soaps and lotions for my sensitive skin so I don't have to deal with the changes. However, after the recent articles on dirty dispensers I'm glad I won't be using them on our upcoming cruises. We always bring Soft Soap to keep at the sink; it's much neater than a wet bar of soap on the counter.

I've always brought my own soaps and lotions for my sensitive skin so I don't have to deal with the changes. However, after the recent articles on dirty dispensers I'm glad I won't be using them on our upcoming cruises. We always bring Soft Soap to keep at the sink; it's much neater than a wet bar of soap on the counter.

And I thought I was the only one who brought Soft Soap. ;)

And I thought I was the only one who brought Soft Soap. ;)

I always, always bring Soft Soap and even a back-up supply when the first pump soap runs out. The idea of a germy, slimy bar of soap sitting in a wet mess by the sink grosses me out. :eek: I've brought an extra soap dispenser for our sons' cabin for the last 10 years or so too and they are much more likely to use it than pick up the slimy soap bar, rub it around and plop it full of water back by the sink. I think our cabin stewards over the years have appreciated it because it's less for them to clean up.