Panama Canal Semi Live from Zuiderdam 29 Nov through 9 December 2013

IRL_Joanie

I am in 5184, aft facing, fully covered extended balcony. Rain or shine, I am covered. It is a great room and very cold..

Thank you Joanie for starting this thread and to the other contributors who are chiming in with their experiences. I have booked 5187 for our future cruise so I am very interested in any input for that particular area of the ship.

Hope everyone enjoys their sail and look forward to the continuing reports.

Thank you, Joanie, for your review! ,

We will be on her in January (our 4th time). Before our last sailing on her 1 1/2 years ago there was negative being posted and we had no problems and had a great cruise!

Looking forward to the rest of your review! :)

Re: statement by Joanie in her review from ship

"As I have stated from the beginning, it is not the AC problem it is a

problem with every individual"

I think not. I was on the Panama Canal 11/8 cruise when there were was the problem of NO, not poorly working, ac, in many aft staterooms, on multiple decks. I met many of these people as tablemates or just through causal conversation at different venues on board. They were all age brackets from, 45 to 80, and had careers from farmers, to doctors, lawyers, and everything in between. Am I to think that these people were all so stupid, so as not to know if they had working ac or not in their rooms ?

Again, to keep it fair, we were not in one of the affected rooms, and had an excellent cruise, but that does not diminish the discomfort of those who were, and they certainly do not deserve the insinuation that they were incapable of determining their own comfort, or in the case. discomfort level.

Maybe HAL has fixed the problems with the a/c.

I'll post this info on both yours and your DH's threads on the cruise so that most are aware.... (I do wish you'd combine the threads but you must have your reasons for keeping them separate)........

Just read a wonderful blog by a passenger on the Nov 18th Zuiderdam cruise, who noted the awful air conditioning problems onboard, but he said that a special technical team had come onboard to address the issues.

So, hopefully, they will have some success.

I am in 5184, aft facing, fully covered extended balcony. Rain or shine, I am covered. It is a great room and very cold. The first night I had to increase the temp. because I was chilled to the bone. I am from Austin, TX. and A/C is a way of life. Hamam, the steward is very nice and knows my name. There are not many photos of this cabin out there, so I took some. For a Panama Canal cruise, it is a great room. It as close to center lock as you can get and there is only one balcony below. You can avoid it in your photos.

I met Joanie and her husband yesterday. We had a very pleasant talk and I learned much HAL lore. My flight left Dallas 2 hours late and the 7 of us on that plane did not board the ship until 4:20pm. Joanie told me we were lucky because the disembarkation had to be done by hand, so they were late with embarkation anyway. I am thinking I will come day early next time. That was too stressful.

I can't recommend this highly enough. GO SEE THE BB KING BLUES CLUB. They are FABULOUS!!! They do 3 shows at 9, 10 and 11. They sing R & B, some blues and a little pop. The musicians are no joke. This is a complete band with 2 lead singers, keyboards/real organ, drums, bass, lead, trumpet and sax. It is so refreshing to listen to raw live music. DON"T MISS IT!!!

Last but not least, HAL takes care of their passengers. I am thinking there were about 14-16 folks on my plane that were sailing on Princess, which also held their ship. We were transported on a 55 passenger bus. They were transported in a basic passenger van like sardines.

FYI all who think I was making things up about the AC or Plumbing problems NOT being a concern this cruise, this lovely Texan Lady is one of the CC Lurkers I mentioned earlier who is also, as I am and I stated so, in one of those aft staterooms that were reported as not having AC.

Now, there are at least 3 reports being made LIVE, hubby, myself and ZCruiser telling you not to worry. Hope this will restore the faith for those cruising when we get back and replacing us:)

Hey Z, you know the door is always open, come on up anytime (for the Panama Canal, the COM (Culinary Operations Manager, Ron) is gonna save us some of the much talked about Panama Buns to have while we transition the canal:) No need to hunt them down!!

Joanie

I'll post this info on both yours and your DH's threads on the cruise so that most are aware.... (I do wish you'd combine the threads but you must have your reasons for keeping them separate)........

Just read a wonderful blog by a passenger on the Nov 18th Zuiderdam cruise, who noted the awful air conditioning problems onboard, but he said that a special technical team had come onboard to address the issues.

So, hopefully, they will have some success.

My hubby is his own person and has his own perceptions. His thoughts are his own and he sees things differently than I. He has his ideas of what he wants to post and I have mine.

Basically, it comes down to I do not tell him what to say in life, which includes these boards and he does not tell me whsat to say. His interests and what he sees are different, THANK GOODNESS!!!

Joanie

Quote:

Originally Posted by MermaidWatcher View Post

Re: statement by Joanie in her review from ship

"As I have stated from the beginning, it is not the AC problem it is a

problem with every individual"

I think not. I was on the Panama Canal 11/8 cruise when there were was the problem of NO, not poorly working, ac, in many aft staterooms, on multiple decks. I met many of these people as tablemates or just through causal conversation at different venues on board. They were all age brackets from, 45 to 80, and had careers from farmers, to doctors, lawyers, and everything in between. Am I to think that these people were all so stupid, so as not to know if they had working ac or not in their rooms ?

Again, to keep it fair, we were not in one of the affected rooms, and had an excellent cruise, but that does not diminish the discomfort of those who were, and they certainly do not deserve the insinuation that they were incapable of determining their own comfort, or in the case. discomfort level.

As replied by Scrapnana

Maybe HAL has fixed the problems with the a/c.

I hope they have fixed it, and I am glad for all those who are in these cabins that it is working, but I will not let a statement like this(by Joanie) go by without disputing it.

It is pure garbage for anyone to discount the hard facts of a non working ac unit as people who were too dumb to know how cool or hot they were, or to know that their ac had no air at all coming out of it. It is one thing to report that the units are working now, but that does not convey the right to discount the sweltering 10 days of others as fantasy.

In the interest of fairness to HAL and to maintain honesty in my posts, I once again say that we were not in a cabin with this ac problem, and had an excellent cruise.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

This is from a blogger on the cruise just previous to this one.....

Zuiderdam is a vessel in need of much more mechanical attention than she is currently getting. She's not aging gracefully! I hope HAL upper corporate management spends whatever is necessary to bring this ship back up to HAL standards. The staff and crew were repeatedly put in awful situations by the A/C issues, so perfectly described in the post just below this....the hysterically slow "new" internet system (that was finally up to par at the end of the cruise)....the several broken elevators and sliding glass doors....several broken beverage/coffee dispensers....the overly aggressive sales of Elemis products going on in the Greenhouse Spa, making a relaxing experience harrowing....etc....etc.

She's a good ship with a first-rate staff and crew. But, Holland America Line, IMHO (based on 30 years of maritime experience in naval vessels, and 400+ days aboard cruise ships of several lines, this ship needs material attention....now....not in 2015.

Given all these reports, there is no way the issues can be put down to "personal perspective", no more than mine could in April 2012. It's unfortunate that the inference is that people reporting negatives are not telling the truth. However, let us hope that the "special technical team" has rectified the situation.

Edited by startwin

It has been reported a technician has been brought on board to establish facts and data to support any cabin temperature problems. Best to leave this otherwise third party and/or hearsay discussion to those trained to measure and analyze this situation.

Enjoying the quasi-live reports and good to have someone one onboard making them right now. Did not know CrewNews was your husband as probably many other readers also did not know, so I was merrily enjoying both report. He has a puckish sense of humor which is very engaging.

So I agree there is no reason whatsoever for you two to post your accounts together on the same thread, because he has a different style and perspective. Glad you hear you are enjoying your 4.9 Star HAL cruise.

I remember from my first canal passage over 40 years ago that people started dropping like flies on the deck at 5am when we first started going through the locks as the air was so heavy, plus no food at that hour on that ship. Good for HAL and their on deck Panama Buns to at least keep the blood sugar up at that hour.

My hubby is his own person and has his own perceptions. His thoughts are his own and he sees things differently than I. He has his ideas of what he wants to post and I have mine.

Basically, it comes down to I do not tell him what to say in life, which includes these boards and he does not tell me whsat to say. His interests and what he sees are different, THANK GOODNESS!!!

Joanie

I agree !! It may be the same cruise, same ship, same itinerary, but the difference in perspective is very interesting!! don't know why someone would think you should combine your reviews!!:)

It has been reported a technician has been brought on board to establish facts and data to support any cabin temperature problems. Best to leave this otherwise third party and/or hearsay discussion to those trained to measure and analyze this situation.

Joanie spoke to the technicians today in the smoking area and they are performing annual maintenance not a special "fix". That means cleaning and filter changes.

When asked if any problems have been encountered, they said none found so far. Sounds like the on staff folks have corrected any AC issues.

Passengers in 6185 and 6187, just around the corner, have been on board for two weeks and have had no AC issues.

With all due respect why would anyone admit to problems? I'm also wondering is a less than full ship is helping with air conditioning issues. There would be less folks drawing on it. I wonder if it will be warmer once you get closer to the canal. I remember someone saying it was just perception when my a/c wasn't working on the Statendam. The front desk came to my cabin several times a day and my cabin was between 78 and 80 at all times. I can't see how anyone would think that was acceptable.

This is from a blogger on the cruise just previous to this one.....

Zuiderdam is a vessel in need of much more mechanical attention than she is currently getting. She's not aging gracefully! I hope HAL upper corporate management spends whatever is necessary to bring this ship back up to HAL standards. The staff and crew were repeatedly put in awful situations by the A/C issues, so perfectly described in the post just below this....the hysterically slow "new" internet system (that was finally up to par at the end of the cruise)....the several broken elevators and sliding glass doors....several broken beverage/coffee dispensers....the overly aggressive sales of Elemis products going on in the Greenhouse Spa, making a relaxing experience harrowing....etc....etc.

She's a good ship with a first-rate staff and crew. But, Holland America Line, IMHO (based on 30 years of maritime experience in naval vessels, and 400+ days aboard cruise ships of several lines, this ship needs material attention....now....not in 2015.

Given all these reports, there is no way the issues can be put down to "personal perspective", no more than mine could in April 2012. It's unfortunate that the inference is that people reporting negatives are not telling the truth. However, let us hope that the "special technical team" has rectified the situation.

Consider the source. The OP is the woman who hypothesized that the air conditioning complaints were due to the British, who are hot all the time.

Consider the source. The OP is the woman who hypothesized that the air conditioning complaints were due to the British, who are hot all the time.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that! The blog I quoted is a reliable source.;)

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that! The blog I quoted is a reliable source.;)

One thing that I must add is that the British are HOT all the time!! This is not meant as an insult, but as an insight as to why there may be so many problems with the Air Conditioning/Heating on board, not only the Zuiderdam this week, but all the HAL ships!!

September 19, 2011: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30651919&highlight=conditioning#post30651919

Day 3 & 4 or is it, "If it's Tuesday we must be in Curacao?"

Day 3 was Aruba and not as hot as expected but still HOT!!! I'm told it

was 92 degrees at it's hottest part of today, around 4pm. It was a day

for vegetating at the Aft Lido/Sea View Bar area with good company and

friends, or on our verandah with a cold glass of Ice water or something a

bit stronger for those inclined for booze.

We arrived exactly as predicted the night before by Captain Turner. He'd

said we would spot land at 11am, pick up our pilot at 12:15 and be berthed

at 1:15. He was Spot on!!

Pool Party on the Aft Lido (5 to 8pm) took up all of the covered areas in

both smoking and non smoking areas, and surprisingly we all intermingled

together in the very limited area left for the smokers and no Faux coughing

or what have you by the non smokers having to walk or sit right next to

those of us making full use of our limited area.

My Motto in my signature is: "To me there are no strangers, only friends I

have not yet met," or something very close to that. Yesterday definitely

proved that as I enjoyed myself immensely with all the people around me:)

One group of 3 African Americans, a male in early 30's and 2 absolutely

drop dead beautiful women were sitting beside us, myself and 2 CC members,

I'd forgotten that I'd taken my pain meds not an hour before going to the

Pool Party and when one of the Lady Bar attendants came up behind me,

touched my right should with a tiny squeeze and said, "Miss Joanie so

wonderful to see you again." I kind of looked at her trying to who, what and

where, and not successfully, I might add.... Anyway she remembered me from

our cruise on the Noordam in 2011. So I ordered the drink of the evening,

and you need to know that I am extremely sensitive to alcohol, so I seldom

ever drink, which was a Lime Margarita with free unlimited refills. I gave her

my room key and it was not until she went to get my drink that I remembered

I'd taken my pain meds so could not drink,..... I asked the 3 beside me if

any of them would like my drink(s) and why the male said sure. We ended up

chatting with them for about 2 hours before they got up to leave to go to a

Seafood restaurant on shore. One of the Ladies gave me her promotion (or

whatever it is called) with her name on it, I'll scan it at home and post it,

and they all invited me to come to the Vista lounge to see/hear them perform

tonight (Tuesday). Turns iout that these 3 youngens are the INFAMOUS (in a

Really good way) BB King Blues group!! When I told them of how everyone who

has seen and heard them absolutely rave about them, they were more than

happy, grinning from ear to ear with delight. They've asked me to thank all of

you for your comments. So, tonight I will go to their show at 8pm, mask upon

face and Oxygen on the scooter and I WILL attend a show for the first time

in many many years:) For those unaware, I am allergic to perfumes and other

scents and try my best to stay out of places where there is a large group of

people or areas that hold the scents and such even when no one is there.

o, after eating, chatting and just plain enjoying myself it was 8:30 pm and long

past time to go back to the stateroom, take my nightly meds and head to bed.

Hubby stayed up long enough to watch 2 runners reboarding at 10:58 pm and

then as we departed right on the stroke of 11pm.

Tuesday, it is 9:38 am and we are in Curacao berthed between the swinging/

floating bridge, at our stern (see John, I remembered it today, thanks my friend),

and the tall bridge off our bow. I must say Curacao is quite beautiful on this

cruise. The last time (also our 1st) time here the buildings appeared to be in

deperate need of repair and paint. The last time here I took heat from some fellow

CC members because I thought Curacao looked sort of slummy (roofs missing large

parts and.... But this time they are absolutely beautiful with no missing roofs and

it appears everything has fresh and very vibrant colors. I may be color blind, but

the colors literally jump out at you In a good way!!

So, it is time to finish this report for today and get this posted so I can contemplate

heading over the floating/swinging bridge to the market....or nothing at all. I love this

ship and for me the ship is my destination.

OH, before I forget, hubby reported the wrong room numbers in his report last night.

He said staterooms 6175 and 6177, it was 6155 and 6157. Wonder what I'm talking

about?? Go read his thread *Grin*

So next report will be from Gatun Lake, no idea when we are there, but not a problem

for me because I'm on a cruise and am wherever the ship is:)

As an ending lett me state once again: I can only provide Accurate information for the cruise I am on. I cannot report on what other went through before nor WILL/MAY go through next week. If I report what is happening to me, and other CC members and/or friends who are aboard right now with us, that is what I can and will report. What others report from previous cruises on this ship is NOT whsat is happening now. If you are unhappy that I am reporting nothing like what previous cruuisers have report, 1st hand or 3rd, don't blame me. My cruise is having NONE of the problems related by others.

Keep this in mind please, there are those that if I say the sky is beautiful, blue as can be and not a cloud in the sky, there will be at least one who dxsays No it is not, it is pouring down rain and ugly as the dickens.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

When I look up at our sky here today it is pouring down rain and ugly as the dickens. Sorry----couldn't resist :D:D

Thank you for your update. It is whetting my enthusiasm for our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. :)

When I look up at our sky here today it is pouring down rain and ugly as the dickens. Sorry----couldn't resist :D:D

Thank you for your update. It is whetting my enthusiasm for our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise. :)

ha! ha! It sure is miserable - yuck. DH is afraid that the yucky rain is going to turn to freezing rain (if it isn't already) and is salting the driveway :eek:

I'd love to on any cruise ship right now :)

Joanie

Came across your posts while surfing and they are the best! We will be boarding the Z for the same cruise just after you debark and your information is very helpful.

I was especially interested in the low passenger count. I wonder if we will be the same? We initially had an MM interior guarantee, but were assigned a K interior. Then yesterday we received an upsell offer of Oceanview ($49pp) or Veranda ($199pp). If the ship is as sparsely populated for our cruise there may be future offers or upgrades. Hope so.

Have there been any culinary events on your cruise? DW and I would like to attend and need any guidance you might have to get signed up.

I would like to follow Crew News posts also, but so far have not been able to find them by searching. Please point me in the correct direction.

Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

Thanks

QShip

Joanie

Came across your posts while surfing and they are the best! We will be boarding the Z for the same cruise just after you debark and your information is very helpful.

I was especially interested in the low passenger count. I wonder if we will be the same? We initially had an MM interior guarantee, but were assigned a K interior. Then yesterday we received an upsell offer of Oceanview ($49pp) or Veranda ($199pp). If the ship is as sparsely populated for our cruise there may be future offers or upgrades. Hope so.

Have there been any culinary events on your cruise? DW and I would like to attend and need any guidance you might have to get signed up.

I would like to follow Crew News posts also, but so far have not been able to find them by searching. Please point me in the correct direction.

Looking forward to the rest of your posts.

Thanks

QShip

I am not Joanie, but since internet costs money, thought I would give you the links to save her time and money:D

Here is the link to the thread by Crew News http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950628

and here is the link to the general Holland America board forum where you will see their threads as well as other topics which might be of interest. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

If you have any general questions - please don't hesitate to post - we are happy to help:D