Royal Caribbean - Wishing They Restore Their Mexican Riviera Itinerary

cjdixon4

I really wish that RCCL would put one, JUST ONE ship on the West Coast. I'd love to do an itinerary along the Mexican coastal line with them. As it stands right now, my girlfriends and I have had to resort to cruising Carnival Imagination (not my fave cruise line, but it'll do) in January to get to Ensenada.

I've heard that Princess and Holland do the Mexican coast but I'm a Royal Caribbean chick, so....has anyone heard whether they might in the future restore their Mexican itinerary? Or is that out of the question? :confused:

They have asked Adam several times, but he always answers the same. No plans to go back to the west coast. :mad:

NCL does mexican riviera also, just in case you would ever consider sailing with them. At least me I would rather do NCL than Carnival :o

They have asked Adam several times, but he always answers the same. No plans to go back to the west coast. :mad:

NCL does mexican riviera also, just in case you would ever consider sailing with them. At least me I would rather do NCL than Carnival :o

Would I be a bad person if I said that NCL sucks, and I'd FAR rather sail Carnival on the Mexican Riviera than NCL? LOL Seriously though, do you enjoy NCL? My experience with NCL wasn't so fantastic, which is why I kind of decided to stick with Royal and build up points with them.

You'll probably get your wish someday... just probably not for the next 5-10 years. There doesn't seem to be enough incentive ($$$) for RCI to head back to the left coast right now.

There's also probably not enough of a demand for it either from vacationers like myself. Seems as though there's enough competition sailing the Pacific waters right now, so RCI doesn't need to infiltrate that route I guess.

I think it's really up to the Mexican government. If they can get the crime and corruption under control in that part of Mexico, then it will be easier to attract the cruise lines that were driven out, back to their ports.

It's not a good business model for the cruise line to put its passengers at risk, and constantly have to deal with corrupt local officials.

I think it's really up to the Mexican government. If they can get the crime and corruption under control in that part of Mexico, then it will be easier to attract the cruise lines that were driven out, back to their ports.

It's not a good business model for the cruise line to put its passengers at risk, and constantly have to deal with corrupt local officials.

I understand your point, and I don't disagree. Mexico (certain parts) has had its share of challenges. I just wish it was an option again.

I would be happy if RC brought back a ship to the left coast for alternating itineraries - Mexican Riviera one week and a CA/OR/WA coastal with a stop in Vancouver or Victoria to meet the foreign port rule the alternating week. Can only hope they come back some day:cool:

Edit: Agree, there needs to be improvement in tourism safety in Mexico.

Edited by tahoemc

There's also probably not enough of a demand for it either from vacationers like myself. Seems as though there's enough competition sailing the Pacific waters right now, so RCI doesn't need to infiltrate that route I guess.
That may very well be true too. I did the Mexican Rivera route about 8-10 years ago on Rhapsody of the Seas. It was an okay cruise but I seriously doubt I would ever fly out there again for the same route. Plus, it was in January so it was rather chilly until we got to Mazatlan. Being in the East, a short flight to Florida with most of the best ships to choose from to sail the Caribbean is a much more attractive option.

I have no desire to sail with those on the west coast now. Think Royal forgets all we Western Canadians who would like to fly to LA on an inexpensive flight for a warm weather week during our winter. Did two trips on Royal out of LA and would happily go every year - don't even care if I don't get off in most ports. The economy is good in "oil country" and there is money for travel.

You'll probably get your wish someday... just probably not for the next 5-10 years. There doesn't seem to be enough incentive ($$$) for RCI to head back to the left coast right now.

It's not just the $$$. A Carnival sponsored tourbus was held up by robbers in Puerto Vallarta. I don't think RCCL wants that sort of publicity!

(Carnival is used to it by now:))

I've been on Monarch and Vision, both were booked full. RCI said they will not go back down the Mexican Rivera and put their customers in jeopardy. Carnival spends 2 days in Cabo. Now if I want to spend 2 days there I will fly down and just stay there. I do wish RCI would return and fully believe they would be packed with West Coast cruisers. ;)

I don't understand why we can't get a couple west coast trips starting in Vancouver to San Diego or San Francisco and back up. It could run before and after the Alaska season like Celebrity. They have 8 and 10 day trips.

That may very well be true too. I did the Mexican Rivera route about 8-10 years ago on Rhapsody of the Seas. It was an okay cruise but I seriously doubt I would ever fly out there again for the same route. Plus, it was in January so it was rather chilly until we got to Mazatlan. Being in the East, a short flight to Florida with most of the best ships to choose from to sail the Caribbean is a much more attractive option.

We did this route on Mariner in June several years ago. It was probably my least favorite cruise of every one I have taken on RCI. Two sea days returning to LA, around noon on the first sea day the temperature dropped 20 degrees in the course of an hour. Our last sea day was in the 50's and blustery. Pool bartender was wearing a parka, and there was nary a soul on the pool deck the last day. The crew said this was typical for the return from the Riviera. Loved the ship and crew, but the weather was the worst I have experienced. It was 80 degrees in Chicago and I was freezing on the cruise ship. I'm with you, I'll stick with the Caribbean out of Florida....

I understand the safety part. But why don't they also stop the calls at Nassau which is equally or even way more dangerous?

Not only robbery but also murders and rapes happen there. If I had known that when I went to Nassau on April if would have not left the ship.

I don't think its an issue with the safety. Or else they would not choose any Mexican riviera port to call. Legend stops by Cabo and Puerto Vallarta all along 2014, Azamara and Celebrity constantly stop there. So it's not about the ports to me rather than placing a ship in the west coast. Pretty much every line does that route. Now if I was a thief I would rob Royal Caribbean passengers, I would go for Azamara, HAL, Seabourne, Silversea, Etc.

I am also one west coaster that would love for RCI to bring any of their ships back to us..We started our cruise addiction in the early 1990's on Viking Serenade's Baja and then Vision's Mexican Riviera..When RCI left us that gave us no option but to fly to feed that Royal addiction...Tried PCL to the MR but that didn't do it at least for us...Come back RCI we miss you out here and we'll be one of the first in line when you do.

I can understand wanting a home port you can drive to, since I love having a Texas ship. But most folks here used to jump in their cars and make the 2-3 hour trip and do the tourist thing in the border towns that were very much like Ensenada. NOBODY I know even thinks of doing that anymore. Too many of us have personal knowledge of scary stuff happening over there. If you are flying to a port anyway, you have lots of better options, and that's the way RCI is playing it.

Greetings from Golden Princess, my new favorite West Coast ship. I am on my fourth cruise since she started doing 3/4 nighters from LA. I just wish she had a year round schedule here.

So far only RCi has fled and not returned. I walked into Ensenada all by myself today, no fear, no worries.

Would I be a bad person if I said that NCL sucks, and I'd FAR rather sail Carnival on the Mexican Riviera than NCL? LOL Seriously though, do you enjoy NCL? My experience with NCL wasn't so fantastic, which is why I kind of decided to stick with Royal and build up points with them.

I am there with you. I really did not like NCL at all and would pick Carnival over then any day.

I too would love to see that West Coast alternating schedule.

We were on one of the so-called "Swine flu" cruises that was supposed to go to Mexico and ended up going north instead. I wasn't really happy about it, but fortunately we were given some really great incentives by RCCL to stay on, so we headed to SF, Seattle, & Victoria. I have to say, we REALLY loved that cruise!

Part of the incentive was some $$$ off to rebook the Mexico route the following year, so we finally got to do it. I loved that cruise too! I never felt unsafe at any of the ports we visited. In fact, it was after our stop in Puerto Vallarta that we decided to do a land vacay later that year to a resort there.

Being in Texas, we're pretty much in the middle when it comes to flying to LA or FLA, but I know we would definitely support a West Coast RCCL ship. Now that we've finally reached Diamond, I'm sure we will begin to look around at other cruiselines. We figure we will NEVER be D+!

Ann

I have done the Mexican Riviera on the Mariner, one of the last ones they did. I can say I was not impressed. The ports were terrible Hated the fact you had to run the gauntlet of beggars and such to get off the ship in pretty much all the ports. In mazatlan they told you to only go to one section of the city, "the golden mile". I could see why. We took a taxi to the area following along on the port map that they give you, nod noticed he was taking us a different route away from the area. He finally did take us to the golden mike area and tried to charge us double for taking us to 2 places. We paid him for 1 and told him if he has a problem the cruise line reps were at the taxi stand we can go there. Of course he took the money and left.

If RCCL goes back there, I will not go back.

Edited by hazmat1

I have done the Mexican Riviera on the Mariner, one of the last ones they did. I can say I was not impressed. The ports were terrible Hated the fact you had to run the gauntlet of beggars and such to get off the ship in pretty much all the ports. In mazatlan they told you to only go to one section of the city, "the golden mile". I could see why. We took a taxi to the area following along on the port map that they give you, nod noticed he was taking us a different route away from the area. He finally did take us to the golden mike area and tried to charge us double for taking us to 2 places. We paid him for 1 and told him if he has a problem the cruise line reps were at the taxi stand we can go there. Of course he took the money and left.

If RCCL goes back there, I will not go back.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

The only places I actually enjoy from the Mexican Riviera are Puerto Vallarta and maybe Cabo. Water there is really cold and the town is pretty small to my taste, but the resorts and views are awesome. when I vacation within Mexico I only go to Playa del Carmen. Its like a St Maarten at my reach. :o