Post Cruise Porter Tip?

bradlkm

We got back into Tampa yesterday after a 4-day cruise on the Carnival Paradise. After the cruise, we had a porter help us with our bags. He loaded our 4 bags, directed us to the proper customs line, and then walked across the street with us to the parking garage and loaded the bags in our car. In all, it was probably 10 minutes of work on his part (by the time he walked back to the terminal).

I had no idea what to tip the guy, who was very friendly and polite. The $1-2 per bag seemed low with all his effort, so I gave him $12. My question is: What should I have given him for this level of service? Advice would be appreciated, as we are going to book our next cruise soon! :D

I was able to skip the larger line, which probably saved 5 to 10 minutes! That alone almost made me feel cheap with a $12 tip. However, the post-cruise echo in my wallet was starting to get deafening. ;)

I was able to skip the larger line, which probably saved 5 to 10 minutes! That alone almost made me feel cheap with a $12 tip. However, the post-cruise echo in my wallet was starting to get deafening. ;)

In the end always do what you think makes sense.

As most of us said we would have done something very similar to you.

Hope it was a great cruise.

Keith

I think you gave just about right.

Depending how large the bags, we likely would have tipped about $15.

People have been tipping $1 - $2 per bag for about 30 or more years. It's time for an increase. ;)

We got back into Tampa yesterday after a 4-day cruise on the Carnival Paradise. After the cruise, we had a porter help us with our bags. He loaded our 4 bags, directed us to the proper customs line, and then walked across the street with us to the parking garage and loaded the bags in our car. In all, it was probably 10 minutes of work on his part (by the time he walked back to the terminal).

I had no idea what to tip the guy, who was very friendly and polite. The $1-2 per bag seemed low with all his effort, so I gave him $12. My question is: What should I have given him for this level of service? Advice would be appreciated, as we are going to book our next cruise soon! :D

In NOLA the porter can get you through customs fast and with the proper tip will also load your car. Our experience has been the tip should be at least $20.00 or he won't be going to the garage. Seems to depend a lot on the port. The porters in NOLA are notorious for becoming invisible unless they know a good tip is coming. If the Saints are playing you can expect to pay more because there will be a shortage of porters.

At Port Everglades, I was able to engage a porter to take my luggage and me to the Mid-Port Parking garage's 4th floor from Pier 24/25, quite a good distance. Because I needed to walk slowly, this took alot of time for him. I was so thankful for his service that I gave him $20. He seemed very appreciative.

A tip of $12 for 10 minutes work is the equivalent of $72 per hour; $576 per 8 hour day; $23,040 per 40 hour week, or $921,600 per year assuming a 40 week year. That is a pretty good tip to me!

Yes,I know that I will get the response that they are not actually working 8 hours per day, 5 days per week or 40 weeks per year. However, I am paying them for the actual work time and to me, that is totally excessive. The fact that they have chosen a job where they only get a limited number of working hours is their problem, not mine.

DON

I think your tip was fine. I might have gone with $15.

In NOLA the porter can get you through customs fast and with the proper tip will also load your car. Our experience has been the tip should be at least $20.00 or he won't be going to the garage. Seems to depend a lot on the port. The porters in NOLA are notorious for becoming invisible unless they know a good tip is coming.

How do they know how much tip they might get, to decide about trekking to the garage? Do they ask for it up front?

I would have tipped a similar amount. We are happy to have the service, tipping well insures we have the service in the future.

At Port Everglades, I was able to engage a porter to take my luggage and me to the Mid-Port Parking garage's 4th floor from Pier 24/25, quite a good distance. Because I needed to walk slowly, this took alot of time for him. I was so thankful for his service that I gave him $20. He seemed very appreciative.

Sounds like you did the right thing too.

When we started cruising in 1985 you gave the porter a dollar per bag. But, that was a long time ago! Now we give $2 each bag or $5 for our small, carry on size two bags. If they take our luggage to our car, we tip more. The price of everything has gone way up so we feel tips should also reflect this.