Need info on Rome airport to cruise port

Catisland1

Take a look at the Italy port of call forum - lots of recommendations there.

Most people arrange a private car and there are lots of services recommend there. One that gets frequent recommendations is Rome cabs (romecabs.com)

I've used this service twice (most recently one year ago) and been very happy with both their service and the competitiveness of their pricing.

if you are an economy traveler and also a light packer, you can get a train from the airport to Civitavecchia with one transfer at Trastevere.

this is a good website for touring Rome with clear direction for using the train to Civitavecchia

roninrome dot com/?s=civitavecchia

If a group or need assistance with luggage this won't work, but for some of us this is the best way to get to the port inexpensively.

we flew into Rome two days early so we could sight see before leaving on the cruise. We booked with the same company, so you can compare prices - we paid for a private car, mercedes and driver.

Airport to hotel near Vatican City - 40 euros

Hotel to port - 120 euros

Port to Airport - rome - 100 euros

Driver was always on time, no problems with pick up time or travel.

euro at the time we travled was 1.34 to us dollar

expensive, but well worth it. We got spoiled.

When I cruised out of Rome, I happened to be staying at one of the Celebrity hotels, so I purchased transportation through them. Don't remember how much it was. Just hopped on the bus and didn't see my luggage again until it was delivered to my cabin. It might be less expensive to take a cab to one of the hotels they are putting people up in and taking their bus.

We are traveling to Rome airport and need to get to the cruise port of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best way to get to the port from the airport?

Thanks very much for the help....

Thanks to all of you who offered advice. Will be on the cruise next Oct and will be looking at the site for good ideas on what to see and do. Thanks again...

We have used the train twice. Both times we spent a few days in Rome before heading to the ship. We booked a hotel close to the Termini Station and took the train from the airport. The first time the trains were on strike, so a bus transfer was substituted. We could walk to the hotel from the station, although the streets were cobble stones and rather rough for our wheeled cases. After our stay in Rome we took the train to the port, and walked with our cases to the shuttle at the port entrance.

We are independently minded seniors who prefer to use local transport when ever possible, partly for the cost saving but mainly for the experience. In the overall cost of the holiday a limo would not be very significant, but we enjoy chatting to local people, who are often very keen to try out their English. Our Italian is non existent!

There are two options available from either the airport or a Rome hotel to the Port (forget the Cruiseline transfers - too expensive) :-

1. Private Taxi/MPV - many companies available, just search via Google. The cheapest we found and were excellent were http://www.alltransfersinrome.com

2. Use the Train - many websites explain the journey in much detail see http://www.rometoolkit.com The cost is about 20 euro/pp as you have to take train into almost Rome itself and then another train back to the Port - too much hassle for most.

At the end of the day it is Cost vs Convenience - using the train with heavy luggage is not for the faint hearted and not the ideal start/end to a cruise. Try your Roll Call as many people arrange taxis and should cost about 22 -30 euro/pp when arranging for 6-8 people. We paid 22 euro each for 7 with alltransferinrome.

The return from the Port to the Airport or Rome is similar except you will have the additional choice of a Shuttle bus see http://www.cruisingexcursion.com where you can take a Coach for 20 euro/pp.

Hope that helps, have a great cruise.

Edited by mickey89

We would urge the OP to come to the Ports of Call/Europe/Italy board where we discuss these kind of issues in nearly painful detail. There are lots of different options when it comes to European ports and FCO is no exception. For starters, we always suggest that any first-time visitor to Italy consider flying-in a few days early and spending some time in Rome...before going on their cruise.

Hank

Rome airport to Civitavecchia

After arriving at FCO (http://*******.com/FCO-arrive), head for the FCO

Train station (http://*******.com/FCO-trains). You can buy ALL your train tickets at the Trenitalia counter - or use one of the kiosks (http://*******.com/buy-tickets-2011). From there, ride the FM1 to Roma Trastevere - cost currently is €8 per person. Then, ride a Regionale train from Roma Trastevere to Civitavecchia - cost is now €4,10 per person. Total cost to you for three people is €36,30.

The time from FCO airport to Roma Trasteve is about 25 minutes. And the time to Civitavecchia from Trastevere is about 50-65 minutes, depending on which train you get on. The trains at FCO usually come about every 15 minutes (non-weekend and non-holiday). The trains at Trastevere to Civitavecchia are about every 30 minutes. So I would allot 2 hours for the trip time.

This is how we did it and worked well, only problem is you need to look after own bags

Kiwihdrider

We've used the train in the opposite direction, port to Rome. It's not that hard, although dragging heavy luggage to the station and onto the train was a small hassle. It's definitely the cheapest way to go. We're late 60's.

We've also used Bob's Limos to get from the airport to the port. We got a good deal, about $80 (senior discount) to the port, and although this was priced as a shared ride we had a car to ourselves. Also used them after the cruise shared with others at about $30pp.

We also recently used Bob's Limo to get from our hotel to the cruise port in Civatevecchia. We booked a shared ride & Bob's arranges any other passengers also going to the port. We paid 75 E for 2 [ senior rate ] but the usual cost is 79E for 2. Very efficient. Bob's owner is actually from Ohio!

• 2 weeks later...
We also recently used Bob's Limo to get from our hotel to the cruise port in Civatevecchia. We booked a shared ride & Bob's arranges any other passengers also going to the port. We paid 75 E for 2 [ senior rate ] but the usual cost is 79E for 2. Very efficient. Bob's owner is actually from Ohio!

We absolutely LOVED Bob's limo service. There were five of us and the fact that we didn't have to lug the luggage up any steps to and from train stations, watch the luggage closely on the trains, etc., was well worth the money we spent with them. How wonderful it was to see someone with our name on a sign who took over for us and dropped us at the door of the hotel. We used them for transfers to the ship, back to the hotel at the end of the cruise and again back to the airport. So hassle free!

If you want the convenience of being driven by car or van, see if you can get a group together on your roll call. That way you can share the cost.

Eight of us were picked up by Driverinrome and taken to our hotel in Rome. Six of us went with them a few days later to the cruise port.

My DH and I and another couple we met on the roll call took the train. It was very easy. It was a Sunday midday and we had an entire car to ourselves. Just make sure one of you can lift the suitcases on and off the train.

I used viator dot com for our transfers from the airport to the hotel in Rome at less than half what the cruiseline wanted for a transfer (pp).

Then we joined with two other couples from our Roll Call for the transfer from Rome hotel to Civitavecchia with Rome Cabs. With 6 of us the total was 180 EUR, so 30 EUR pp. Plus we each gave the driver a 5 EUR tip. We were at 3 different hotels but all close to the Vatican.

We were eating breakfast at the hotel and the receptionist came and told me I had a phone call. I almost panicked thinking something was wrong at home. It was Rome Cabs confirming our 11:30 pick-up at the hotel. He arrived in the pouring rain, rushed us to the van, then went back for each of our huge suitcases. I felt so bad for him getting drenched, but he took it in stride. A new Mercedes Van, I might add. Lots of room for the 6 of us and all of our luggage. We were very pleased with the level of service.

Make sure it's Rome Cabs (understand there is another company trying to trade on their good reputation without the s at the end). There are other companies that get good reviews too.

Have a wonderful trip!