Question for Pinnacle cruisers

I was looking at the benefits section for just becoming Pinnacle and the information for receiving the "free" cruise:

The complimentary cruise is based on double occupancy and applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited

The D+ desk tells me that the cruise that you turn the 700 points on must be your free cruise or the very next one immediately after that (my cruise is already paid for in a suite :confused:). I always thought that you just had to pick your cruise at that point and book it on the ship. They tell me that you can't pick it on the ship and you must call them to book it.

We already have cruises booked after that point that aren't 7 night cruises. I am sure that they know that frequent cruisers book ahead of time.

Does anybody have any experience with this process?

If you wanted an answer from an actual Pinnacle, I'll get back to you in about 10 years! - maybe.

In contrast to much of the mish mush written for many of the "rules", this one seems pretty clear. That said, it doesn't seem to make any sense to penalize a super loyal cruiser just because they have chosen to book lots of cruises far ahead. If it were me, I think I'd try the D+ desk again and see if you can be connected with someone with the authority to bend the rule a bit.

BTW, on the recent RC survey I completed, there were two questions pertaining to the importance of having a dedicated Pinnacle desk, so if they establish one it should help.

If you wanted an answer from an actual Pinnacle, I'll get back to you in about 10 years! - maybe.

In contrast to much of the mish mush written for many of the "rules", this one seems pretty clear. That said, it doesn't seem to make any sense to penalize a super loyal cruiser just because they have chosen to book lots of cruises far ahead. If it were me, I think I'd try the D+ desk again and see if you can be connected with someone with the authority to bend the rule a bit.

BTW, on the recent RC survey I completed, there were two questions pertaining to the importance of having a dedicated Pinnacle desk, so if they establish one it should help.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing as you because each time you call the desk, you may (I should say will) get a different answer. This is why I asked the question to someone that actually experienced this and knows how it works.

When you ask this question 10 years from now, I'll reply to you and let you know! :p

Edited by seatraveler1

I was looking at the benefits section for just becoming Pinnacle and the information for receiving the "free" cruise:

The complimentary cruise is based on double occupancy and applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited

The D+ desk tells me that the cruise that you turn the 700 points on must be your free cruise or the very next one immediately after that (my cruise is already paid for in a suite :confused:). I always thought that you just had to pick your cruise at that point and book it on the ship. They tell me that you can't pick it on the ship and you must call them to book it.

We already have cruises booked after that point that aren't 7 night cruises. I am sure that they know that frequent cruisers book ahead of time.

I am going to take a different perspective on this situation -- and will probably get some flack for it, I am sure.

The frequent cruiser has some responsibility in this as well. They should KNOW what the requirements are and as they are booking the cruises that will get them CLOSE to the level where they will get their FREE cruise should be talking with the appropriate people at C&A Rewards. In another post in this thread someone listed a name to reach out to....ALL of those people who are getting close to reaching your free cruise should keep this name close to your heart/head.

I can only hope one day to reach that level. I am working towards D+ and that till take me awhile.

I am going to take a different perspective on this situation -- and will probably get some flack for it, I am sure.

The frequent cruiser has some responsibility in this as well. They should KNOW what the requirements are and as they are booking the cruises that will get them CLOSE to the level where they will get their FREE cruise should be talking with the appropriate people at C&A Rewards. In another post in this thread someone listed a name to reach out to....ALL of those people who are getting close to reaching your free cruise should keep this name close to your heart/head.

I can only hope one day to reach that level. I am working towards D+ and that till take me awhile.

Just an FYI, but your complimentary cruise is a 7 night Caribbean cruise and it "can not be" on the Oasis or Allure which, depending on the time of year, limits your choices in vessels.

Thank you for that information, that helps.

You're welcome.:)

Edited by cruisenfever

No flack, but it's not as easy as you make it sound. I had my 100th sailing all picked out for March of 2011, but then rates dropped and I jumped on another cruise in early December. That made my actual 100th a holiday sailing, which was ineligible. I can't imagine that RCI wanted me to stay home instead of filling up their unsold cabin, can you?

My experience with C&A was they they had no interest in helping me book our freebie. I spent a month trying to get somebody's attention (the legendary Brittany wasn't on the job and she's not all that responsive either, I have found), gave up on shoreside and enlisted the LA's help on Mariner.

She was able to get them to apply our freebie to an 8-night sailing on Liberty that was acually 102 or 103. They credited the amount of 7 nights in an E-3, and we paid the extra night plus the cost of upgrading to a JS. So it wasn't free, but it was only about $300.:)

I have also heard of a couple who spent weeks getting the credit applied to a cruise on which they had already made final payment. IMO it would be nice if their state policy would be to allow you to take the cruise at any time within a year of earning it. That's been their practice AFAIK. I've never heard of somebody being denied their freebie, and I've heard of people turning Pinnacle on TAs, short fjords cruises and in Hawaii.

No flack, but it's not as easy as you make it sound. I had my 100th sailing all picked out for March of 2011, but then rates dropped and I jumped on another cruise in early December. That made my actual 100th a holiday sailing, which was ineligible. I can't imagine that RCI wanted me to stay home instead of filling up their unsold cabin, can you?

My experience with C&A was they they had no interest in helping me book our freebie. I spent a month trying to get somebody's attention (the legendary Brittany wasn't on the job and she's not all that responsive either, I have found), gave up on shoreside and enlisted the LA's help on Mariner.

She was able to get them to apply our freebie to an 8-night sailing on Liberty that was acually 102 or 103. They credited the amount of 7 nights in an E-3, and we paid the extra night plus the cost of upgrading to a JS. So it wasn't free, but it was only about $300.:)

I have also heard of a couple who spent weeks getting the credit applied to a cruise on which they had already made final payment. IMO it would be nice if their state policy would be to allow you to take the cruise at any time within a year of earning it. That's been their practice AFAIK. I've never heard of somebody being denied their freebie, and I've heard of people turning Pinnacle on TAs, short fjords cruises and in Hawaii.

I never said it was going to be easy....what I have seen in business in the past 30 years, is that businesses want to be better 'talkers' than 'doers' in too many industries...so the consumer, has to be their BEST advocate....whether it is medical issues or school issues or vacation issues.

Companies put roadblocks in place and consumers have to figure out how to get it done ANYWAY. It isn't right, but this is the truth.

I've never had a problem with getting responses from Brittany. I usually have an answer from her within 2 days.

I will admit, though, that since C&A moved to the west coast, you do not get personalized service like you did when they were in Wichita. It's just not the same team of people. Very sad IMHO.

Edited by cruisenfever

I sure am glad I read this post. I will be Pinnacle this October and had no idea they consider your next cruise the free one. I have all my cruise's booked through April of 2015. I will definitely be contacting the Diamond plus desk tomorrow.

Thanks

Just an FYI, but your complimentary cruise is a 7 night Caribbean cruise and it "can not be" on the Oasis or Allure which, depending on the time of year, limits your choices in vessels.

no longer true as there are now many Pinnacles in Europe so they allowed them to take the cost of a 7 day balcony rate off any next cruise booked.

I've never had a problem with getting responses from Brittany. I usually have an answer from her within 2 days.

I will admit, though, that since C&A moved to the west coast, you do not get personalized service like you did when they were in Wichita. It's just not the same team of people. Very sad IMHO.

Totally agree! The Wichita team was definitely far, far superior!!!

I never said it was going to be easy....what I have seen in business in the past 30 years, is that businesses want to be better 'talkers' than 'doers' in too many industries...so the consumer, has to be their BEST advocate....whether it is medical issues or school issues or vacation issues.

Companies put roadblocks in place and consumers have to figure out how to get it done ANYWAY. It isn't right, but this is the truth.

So true. In my perfect little world, RCI would let people know as a landmark cruise was approaching so that they could plan. Instead it is left up to the passenger to know what the deal is. I suspect that most do, since one would have to be pretty oblivious to be closing in on 700 points and not know what's about to come next.

Patti, I know that you are correct about the fact that the complimentary cruise cannot be on an Oasis class ship.

From my own history, my first complimentary cruise was on the Mariner out of the West Coast for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise, and my next one was on the Vision of the Seas, doing the Norwegian Fjords.

I'm not doubting you, just letting people know that my first two were not even in the Caribbean.;)

And editing to say that neither one was immediately after the 100th cruise, before the Pinnacle Club was formed, or just after my 1050th point, which occurred 3 cruises before I was able to take my complimentary cruise.

Rick

Edited by rubrrick
See above.

All complimentary cruises are handled on a case by case basis because of those, like yourself, that have cruises already booked.
Patti, I know that you are correct about the fact that the complimentary cruise cannot be on an Oasis class ship.

From my own history, my first complimentary cruise was on the Mariner out of the West Coast for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise, and my next one was on the Vision of the Seas, doing the Norwegian Fjords.

I'm not doubting you, just letting people know that my first two were not even in the Caribbean.;)

And editing to say that neither one was immediately after the 100th cruise, before the Pinnacle Club was formed, or just after my 1050th point, which occurred 3 cruises before I was able to take my complimentary cruise.

Rick

Rick, as I said in my above post, all complimentary cruises for Pinnacle Club Members are handled on a case by case basis. :)

Rick, as I said in my above post, all complimentary cruises for Pinnacle Club Members are handled on a case by case basis. :)

Thank you so much for this information. I will be Pinnacle at some point next year and now I know to contact Royal when I am getting close...I do have future cruises booked into 2015 and will have to figure out how to enjoy the free 7 day cruise benefit well before hand...thanks again....much appreciated information.:)Pat

So true. In my perfect little world, RCI would let people know as a landmark cruise was approaching so that they could plan. Instead it is left up to the passenger to know what the deal is. I suspect that most do, since one would have to be pretty oblivious to be closing in on 700 points and not know what's about to come next.
Anyone closing in on 700 you would think would know the "DEAL" regarding the free cruise! Sometimes I'm amazed....:eek:...K.O.

Yes, and IMO, Marcia, you have to be proactive, tell the D+ desk what you have planned. If it is within a reasonable time frame, they will allow it. The problem with the next cruise being your freebie is that it is already paid for, so you then have to jump through hoops to get the money back ON YOUR CREDIT CARD. I use all caps because perhaps that is not convenient for you. Having said that, I have not had previous problems with the free cruise, but what was true yesterday is not necessarily true today. Try calling back and getting someone on the phone who is willing to work with you.

Worst case scenario, they should refund the price of the cabin category for your free cruise, regardless of the category you are booked in, and pro-rated to 7 nights.

Yes, I heard the same thing.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Okay just to throw another "what if" into the pot.

When we took ours we actually took a 12 night repositioning cruise and were asked to pay for 5 nights, and were credited with the other 7 nights.

Sure the original statement was a 7 night Caribbean cruise, but as others have said with more non US cruisers now turning Pinnacle, they are allowing variances according to circumstance, although Oasis and Allure are still not included.

Rick

In the gold old days when RCi sailed regularly for the Left Coast, Mexican itineraries were included in the "allowed" group. No longer....:(

Honestly, instead of causing all this angst, it would be nice if RCI would just give a credit toward the cruise. It would be less of a hassle for all involved. Not as great of a marketing tool, perhaps, but they need all the simplification they can get!

Yes, and IMO, Marcia, you have to be proactive, tell the D+ desk what you have planned. If it is within a reasonable time frame, they will allow it. The problem with the next cruise being your freebie is that it is already paid for, so you then have to jump through hoops to get the money back ON YOUR CREDIT CARD. I use all caps because perhaps that is not convenient for you. Having said that, I have not had previous problems with the free cruise, but what was true yesterday is not necessarily true today. Try calling back and getting someone on the phone who is willing to work with you.

Worst case scenario, they should refund the price of the cabin category for your free cruise, regardless of the category you are booked in, and pro-rated to 7 nights.

Yes, I heard the same thing.

I'm sure you did. ;);)