Your best key west experience

Thebes

I have read some threads about key west. Some enjoy walking it, some rented a little electric car and some used the trolley. Recently, I have heard about difficulty and lines as everyone will have to leave the ship being the first US port after coming back from Caribbean islands. Thinking about getting 8:30 am ship excursion in order to not waste the day in lines for customs. ( first timer at KW ). Please tell us how you enjoyed key west in the past and if you had a recent experience visiting this lovely port.

We have been to Key West many times , both on our own, with Elderhostel and on cruise ships. The best way to see it in one day is on the hop on hop off trolleys close to the pier. There are lots of tourist attractions and 1 day is not enought time. Read up on what is on offer and you will have a better idea of priorities.

Loved visiting the Atocha ship wreck museum to see the fabulous treasures, wandering the back streets to see all the charming little cottages and tree lined streets, and the infamous cemetery headstones - there really is one that says "I told you I was sick".

We have enjoyed the trolley tour, the Fisher Museum and love roaming the streets and having a nice lunch. I always enjoy our stay in Key West....... fun place. :)

Have a piece of key lime pie, frozen on a stick and dipped in dark chocolate. Delicious!

I have read some threads about key west. Some enjoy walking it, some rented a little electric car and some used the trolley. Recently, I have heard about difficulty and lines as everyone will have to leave the ship being the first US port after coming back from Caribbean islands. Thinking about getting 8:30 am ship excursion in order to not waste the day in lines for customs. ( first timer at KW ). Please tell us how you enjoyed key west in the past and if you had a recent experience visiting this lovely port.

We have been to Key West many times , both on our own, with Elderhostel and on cruise ships. The best way to see it in one day is on the hop on hop off trolleys close to the pier. There are lots of tourist attractions and 1 day is not enought time. Read up on what is on offer and you will have a better idea of priorities.

DW & I will be first timers at KW on the first port of call onboard the Ryndam in February, 2014. We are only docked from 1230 to 1800, so we plan on booking the HAL three hour shore ex, 'History & Legends', beginning at 1315! :) Too bad that it will not be a full day in port at KW! :(

During my visits to Key West, there was no Customs for which you must wait to leave the ship. There is an Immigration check that is performed for ALL passengers before anyone is allowed to leave the ship. When ALL passengers, to include those not going ashore, have been checked, then leaving the ship is permitted.

Booking an excursion too avoid Customs is not a feasible plan.

Much of KW can be done just by walking. You must stop for some key lime pie at one of the many shops.

Our stop at Key West was outbound, so there were no customs/immigration issues to deal with. I have never heard of everyone having to go through customs at KW, did someone tell you this from experience. ?

We were only in port a few hours, so we just walked around and enjoyed the sights and tropical atmosphere. The museum with the Atocha treasure is interesting, and of course you have to go take your pic with the "farthest southern point in US" buoy. If physically able, I would recommend walking it. There are also quite a few "interesting", to say the least, people to be seen as the locals start heading down to the bars for the evening.

We have enjoyed the trolley tour, the Fisher Museum and love roaming the streets and having a nice lunch. I always enjoy our stay in Key West....... fun place. :)

Have a piece of key lime pie, frozen on a stick and dipped in dark chocolate. Delicious!

Second the frozen chocolate key lime pie on a stick! It was great! Got ours at Kermits (the trolley goes right past the place - its near the waterfront - and Kermit stand out front in a bakers cap.

Also, we did parasailing at a place near Kermits. I think it was Sego. Prices about half of the ship's price and well worth it IMO.

DaveOKC

If your first port of call after leaving a Florida port is Key West, then you will not have to go through immigration. Example -- leave from Tampa and first stop is Key West.

But if Key West is your last port before you get off the ship in Florida, then you do have to go through immigration. Example -- Key West and then Ft Lauderdale to disembark the ship to go home or Ft Lauderdale is your turn-around day for a second cruise (Collectors Cruise). We had to go through immigration both in Key West and then again in Ft Lauderdale on turn-around day.

Our stop at Key West was outbound, so there were no customs/immigration issues to deal with. I have never heard of everyone having to go through customs at KW, did someone tell you this from experience. ?

We were only in port a few hours, so we just walked around and enjoyed the sights and tropical atmosphere. The museum with the Atocha treasure is interesting, and of course you have to go take your pic with the "farthest southern point in US" buoy. If physically able, I would recommend walking it. There are also quite a few "interesting", to say the least, people to be seen as the locals start heading down to the bars for the evening.

My situation was coming in from South America to Key West. To say it was a disaster is making it sound way better then it was. There were many Russians on that cruise and they didn't seem to have the right paperwork with them. As a Canadian I was in the same line. HAL did their usual bang up job of calling everyone at once so it's was very, very messy. If this is on your way out there would of course not be any immigration.

The museum located in the old Customhouse is worth seeing. Also, unless I'm missing something, there is no Customs processing in Key West, at least for passengers.

Many people confuse Customs and Immigration.

Customs is the declaration and examination of things you are bringing into the country; Immigration is an examination of people's documents/people entering the country.

As KK set out, often Immigration check is conducted at Key West if that is the first U.S. port after having been in foreign port (s).

For some reason, it took us until our fourth (iirc) visit to finally make it to the Truman White House, in Key West. :confused: What a shame. The tour was very well done, and quite interesting. Would highly recommend it to anyone with a historical biography interest.

Fortunately, we discovered conch fritters on our very first visit. :)

Key West is very walkable.

Ray in NH

Exactly Sail. Ever since Customs and Immigration merged many years ago, there has been confusion. The Customs function and the Immigration are totally different things. At many ports around the country, the two functions are done by the same officer.

Thanks for the overwhelming responses everyone. You all are awesome!

Now I understand the diff bet customs and ins, thanks S7S. Our stop is on the way back right before disembarkation at FLL. So according to KK, we'll have to go through ins. My question is what if. I'm going to book the hop on hop off with the ship so at least I have priority leaving the ship. Why not ? It must be $20 with the ship or from outside the ship. I could be wrong. Feel free to comment everyone.

Edited by Thebes