How closely do they look at your weight?

spabsie

We are boarding Allure on Sunday and tonight my father in law mentions "oh do they weigh you on a scale before the zipline? Because I am near 250 so I am not sure how much I am." This of course means he must know he is over the limit. Then he says "oh well if I am over they can tell me there and give me a refund." I really doubt Royal would think "hey, he booked a spot that someone else could have but hey lets give him his money back!"

$@#$@#!! Months ago I asked the group as a whole "The excursions have a 250lb weight limit, please let me know if we should book something else or if you feel like you don't want to go for any reason" and he specifically said he was fine. Now three days before that is not the case.

We are booked on the Labadee Zipline and the Horseback Riding in the ocean in Falmouth. Both have limits listed of 250lbs.

Any idea how they handle weight limits? Do they have scales there? Will he go plummeting into the water if he is actually 260? [just kidding, I know that won't happen]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They weighed us before we went on the zipping at Labadee. A lot has to do with which cable they send you on.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were on the Allure in August 2013 and husband signed up for the zip line in Labadee and they did indeed weigh him. They were also aware of my children's ages so they weren't able to zip line because they were a year too young. Sorry for the bad news

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Whether he will be "allowed" to ride a horse or not, he should be kind to the horses and decline that excursion. As someone else mentioned, the horses I have seen in both the Caymens and Mexico are on the small side.

Totally agree. I will make my husband talk to his dad about it. Talk about awkward conversation!

For legal and safety reasons if you are beyond the limit set, they cannot participate. I'm sure the cost will be refunded in that case.

If you know you have someone over the limit, I would call in advance and cancel .. Saves a trip to guest services.

Edited by Pebbles468

When I was on Oasis last month I tried to do the zipline in Lababee. When going to the sign in desk on the beach they have a scale there. I was 254lbs (4 over) and was told I could not go. The girl said even if you're .1 over they can't let you go for insurance reasons.

For the zip line on the ship they also have a scale to weight you but the limit is 275lbs. A friend of mine weighed in at 277 and wasn't allowed to go.

Totally agree. I will make my husband talk to his dad about it. Talk about awkward conversation!

Plus you have a better shot of getting a refund if you cancel in advance rather than waiting until you get there to be told your over weight (for the horse ride):). Those ones usually aren't cheap, so unless he wants to sit around and wait for you guys and get no money back - deal with it now;).

They did have a scale, and weighed us (privately, as in no one else can see) for both of the helicopter excursions we have taken. Neither one of us is even near the weight limit.

That is pretty standard for helicopter rides, IME. It is not just about whether you are over the limit. They also have to make sure weight is equally distributed within the helicopter in order to keep it balanced.

No.... RCL bears no responsibility if somebody wants to pig out at the buffet line. I am pushing 250 lbs and love to visit the buffet line. But just because RCL will allow you to stuff yourself 24 hours a day does not mean you have to.

What every happened to taking responsibility for yourself....

But the "weight" gain on cruises isn't always about gorging yourself. It can simply be about sodium.

DH once "gained" 9 lbs in 2.5 days without getting anywhere NEAR gorging himself. But it wasn't home-food, it was dining out food. With high salt volume and it just bloated him like crazy.

By the following week he was down over 10. It wasn't fat, it was bloat from salt.

I'm glad to hear that RCCL will refund for this. Shows that they have a heart. Makes me happy.

The zip lines are actually dangerous and can be life threatening. Not allowing pax who are over the designed weight limit is a very prudent move on their part. Sorry for those pax who are over the weight limit but this is a safety issue and cannot be changed.

Horses were mentioned and they can only safely carry so much weight depending on the horse and the trail. Again safety not only for the pax but also the animal is important. Helicopters and small planes can only carry so much weight before they become dangerous. They have a load limit and it is easy to exceed it. They also have to have load balanced which is why they may ask you to sit in a particular place on the aircraft. We certainly do not want aircraft crashing out of the sky. It is a safety issue.

The zip lines are actually dangerous and can be life threatening. Not allowing pax who are over the designed weight limit is a very prudent move on their part. Sorry for those pax who are over the weight limit but this is a safety issue and cannot be changed.

Horses were mentioned and they can only safely carry so much weight depending on the horse and the trail. Again safety not only for the pax but also the animal is important. Helicopters and small planes can only carry so much weight before they become dangerous. They have a load limit and it is easy to exceed it. They also have to have load balanced which is why they may ask you to sit in a particular place on the aircraft. We certainly do not want aircraft crashing out of the sky. It is a safety issue.

...then again driving to Cozumel can be "dangerous" and "life threatening" if certain guidelines are not adhered......;)

Pretty sure that comment of RCI having responsibility for someone's weight was tongue-in-cheek (see the smiley face?)

I saw it and smiled. But I think that there are really people who think that companies should 'take care of them'..... There are people who sue for EVERYTHING that might go wrong in their world.

I saw it and smiled. But I think that there are really people who think that companies should 'take care of them'..... There are people who sue for EVERYTHING that might go wrong in their world.

Same here I thought it was funny yet tragic because some really do see it that way.

Eat more BACON

My husbands sister wants to do the Ziplining on Kauai and she is close to 250, she is aware of the weight limit as I tried as gently as I could to let her know the weight limit, so we will see. Due to an over stretched muscle several years ago and if I over do things, it will spasm and I am laid up so sticking with the Waimea Canyons tour, otherwise I would be Zipping with the rest of them.

Depending on wind conditions at Labadee, even the 250lb limit varies. In 2011 we did the zipline, and as we were just beginning our pre-zip briefing from the staff, another member of the staff walked up and told him they would have to lower the weight limit due to the wind. We were ok, but there were 2-3 others in the group who had been ok but were then disqualified with the new limit. I think it was lowered to about 220-225lbs...so just be aware the 250 # is not always the case....

We are boarding Allure on Sunday and tonight my father in law mentions "oh do they weigh you on a scale before the zipline? Because I am near 250 so I am not sure how much I am." This of course means he must know he is over the limit. Then he says "oh well if I am over they can tell me there and give me a refund." I really doubt Royal would think "hey, he booked a spot that someone else could have but hey lets give him his money back!"

$@#$@#!! Months ago I asked the group as a whole "The excursions have a 250lb weight limit, please let me know if we should book something else or if you feel like you don't want to go for any reason" and he specifically said he was fine. Now three days before that is not the case.

We are booked on the Labadee Zipline and the Horseback Riding in the ocean in Falmouth. Both have limits listed of 250lbs.

Any idea how they handle weight limits? Do they have scales there? Will he go plummeting into the water if he is actually 260? [just kidding, I know that won't happen]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They have a wgt limit for a reason dont you think?

They have a wgt limit for a reason dont you think?

I am quite aware there are reasons. I am also acutely aware that it is out of my hands how he handles it, it is only my responsibility to inform him of how royal will likely handle the situation as I am the one who planned the whole cruise for everyone. But really, thank you for reminding me there is a reason for the rule.

The weight limit may be true for the zip line. My wife did the zip line at Labadee and was weighed and close, but okay. I, on the other hand, told the parasailing Captain that I would need to fly solo as I was close to the 325 pound tandem tandem. I went parasailing with another gentleman and believe me, we were over the limit. But it was a great ride.

Yes - they also weigh for horses. They cannot afford to have a horse injured. We saw a woman turned away due to 3 pounds over. She argued and said she rides all the time at home - they still didn't allow her. She was rather embarrassed.

.....maybe she rides a pack mule?...............

I went ziplining in Belize. They had a 275 weight limit. I asked the operator how close I had to be but he told me it was more to make sure you fit in the harness properly. Since I have a more athletic build (at least I did then :rolleyes:), I had no issues fitting in the harness and I was fine. They told me that usually 275 pound folks have trouble getting the harness around their waists.

I weighed about 305 when I did that excursion and had no problems at all!

The cables are rated to hold over 2000 pounds, so that is not the issue. It is surely an insurance/liability issue.

• 11 months later...
I am quite aware there are reasons. I am also acutely aware that it is out of my hands how he handles it, it is only my responsibility to inform him of how royal will likely handle the situation as I am the one who planned the whole cruise for everyone. But really, thank you for reminding me there is a reason for the rule.

I agree, the rule is there for a reason. I don't understand why some people believe the rules are for everyone, except them!