How closely do they look at your weight?

spabsie

We are boarding Allure on Sunday and tonight my father in law mentions "oh do they weigh you on a scale before the zipline? Because I am near 250 so I am not sure how much I am." This of course means he must know he is over the limit. Then he says "oh well if I am over they can tell me there and give me a refund." I really doubt Royal would think "hey, he booked a spot that someone else could have but hey lets give him his money back!"

$@#$@#!! Months ago I asked the group as a whole "The excursions have a 250lb weight limit, please let me know if we should book something else or if you feel like you don't want to go for any reason" and he specifically said he was fine. Now three days before that is not the case.

We are booked on the Labadee Zipline and the Horseback Riding in the ocean in Falmouth. Both have limits listed of 250lbs.

Any idea how they handle weight limits? Do they have scales there? Will he go plummeting into the water if he is actually 260? [just kidding, I know that won't happen]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To be honest, I have never done the Ziplining but I would think if there is any doubt, they will not allow the person to even leave on the tour. Next year my husband, daughter and his sister plan to Zipline in kauai and his sister is close to 250. From what I have read it has nothing to do with supporting ones weight, but the speed in which one travels. Depending on the terrain involved there is some walking to get to the platforms. I am only speaking on what I have read and not experience.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

We are boarding Allure on Sunday and tonight my father in law mentions "oh do they weigh you on a scale before the zipline? Because I am near 250 so I am not sure how much I am." This of course means he must know he is over the limit. Then he says "oh well if I am over they can tell me there and give me a refund." I really doubt Royal would think "hey, he booked a spot that someone else could have but hey lets give him his money back!"

$@#$@#!! Months ago I asked the group as a whole "The excursions have a 250lb weight limit, please let me know if we should book something else or if you feel like you don't want to go for any reason" and he specifically said he was fine. Now three days before that is not the case.

We are booked on the Labadee Zipline and the Horseback Riding in the ocean in Falmouth. Both have limits listed of 250lbs.

Any idea how they handle weight limits? Do they have scales there? Will he go plummeting into the water if he is actually 260? [just kidding, I know that won't happen]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am just thinking in writing, because I have no first hand knowledge of those particular excursions.

They did have a scale, and weighed us (privately, as in no one else can see) for both of the helicopter excursions we have taken. Neither one of us is even near the weight limit. I just didn't want to share with others. :o

For the zipline...I would think that there might be a scale somewhere just for safety reasons.

For the horseback riding, I doubt if there is a scale. It's more like he should have a large horse. They probably have horses that can handle the weight. But it might be more of a be kind to the horse thing.

I know that doesn't help, but in my opinion, zipline no and horseback riding maybe. :)

Edited by Coralc

In 2011 one of my party was unable to do the zipline in Labadee due to being over the weight limit and they refunded her money, no problems.

To the OP, you need to get Dad on a scale and make changes now. Some people retain water on a cruise (changes in diet etc.) and if he's almost at 250 now, I'd be willing to be he'll be over by the time you get where you're going:(. I don't think a responsible horse farm would allow their animals to carry over weight because of the risk to their stock. JMO.:)

Just did the zip line at Rose Hall, which is actually more than a few zip lines and 2 rappels. I would think part of the danger is the guides have to bear the weight of your crash into them when you "forget" to brake (and most do forget) and on the rappels the guides control the speed of your fall.

With the horseback riding, the horses are not large like some here in the U.S.---certainly not 15 hands. Cantering in the ocean could potentially cause them some harm.

Yes..there is a scale for the zip line. Everyone in our party got weighed and we are no where near the limit.

I know this post is asking about Labadee specifically, but we did the pipeline in St. Kitts last week and they weighed everyone prior to leaving the terminal - even those obviously under the limit.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

There is a scale at the Dragon Coaster on Labadee. It is right out in public. The crew are really good at judging your weight, however. They weigh you if two are riding in one coaster and it looks like the weight of two of you will excede their limits per coaster.

If a pair of riders excedes the limit, you each have to ride alone in separate coasters. If you paid for only one coaster, though, they do not charge you for the extra coaster, thank heavens.

I say this only to demonstrate that, yes, Royal Caribbean is serious about weight limits. I'm pretty sure Royal will refund your father's money if he turns out to be ineligible for the zipline. Good luck.

Since RCI does not operate the Sting Ray excursions, that weight limit was probably set by the tour operator....May simply be the ability to bring a disabled person (due to accident or injury) back onto the boat...Not an RCI restriction. Where RCI runs the tour (such as Labadee) it would be an insurance liability issue.

I run into that with various snorkel excursions operated by locals, based on age... I get a waiver and am never refused. (Yeah in better shape than many, many 40 year olds).

Thanks for the help everyone. Will let him know. I am a bit surprised royal would refund. It seems like it should be the guests responsibility to know their own weight, but it is very generous of them.

....but then again RCL has to take some responsibility for the weight issues......those all you can eat buffets pack on the pounds for everyone. :D

Sort of a tangent here, but I wanted to do the stingrays in Cozumel and it has a 300 lb limit on it and i dont know why. I am over and I can't see.a reason so e you just walk into the water. Anybody know why?

Most probably because of entering the water (you don't just walk in) and getting back on the boat that takes you there. These is a boat ladder most times and if you're heavy, it's quite difficult to haul yourself out of the water and into the boat. I was only a couple lbs over 200 and I had trouble despite being in fairly strong, healthy condition. I needed help to ascend those steps....I am 63.

And it's entirely MY FAULT. Only the individual can take responsibility for being overweight...not the fault of a cruiseline.

Edited by BecciBoo

....but then again RCL has to take some responsibility for the weight issues......those all you can eat buffets pack on the pounds for everyone. :D

No.... RCL bears no responsibility if somebody wants to pig out at the buffet line. I am pushing 250 lbs and love to visit the buffet line. But just because RCL will allow you to stuff yourself 24 hours a day does not mean you have to.

What every happened to taking responsibility for yourself....

No.... RCL bears no responsibility if somebody wants to pig out at the buffet line. I am pushing 250 lbs and love to visit the buffet line. But just because RCL will allow you to stuff yourself 24 hours a day does not mean you have to.

What every happened to taking responsibility for yourself....

Pretty sure that comment of RCI having responsibility for someone's weight was tongue-in-cheek (see the smiley face?)

I did the zip line a couple years ago. What I do remember was when they weighed me in Labadee, I was quoted at 195. At my worst, I might have been 190 at some point in my life and that's pushing it. However, I had a doctors appointment the next week after I got back and I weighted 172. Either I lost 23 pounds or their scale is off. I generally stay between 165 - 175 for as long as I remembered.